What if the Beach Boys had played Monterey?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RayistaGeoff, Aug 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

By the time Mike Love became a PITA, Murry was already removed as their manager. Brian didn't have the guts to boot his cousin out of the band and the rest is history.

oldsurferdude likes this.
  2. Brian was not stupid enough to boot his cousin out of the band, nor could he have done so if he wanted to. Mike was a co-founder and co-owner of The Beach Boys and a band needs a frontman.

Actually Brian was booted out of the band briefly.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  3. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I think it would have helped them to be more widely accepted in the "hip" circles if they had cranked up the volume a bit and played a combination of some of their earlier songs and some of their newer material like "Wild Honey" (with Mike Love playing that electro-theremin thingy that he was playing on stage at the time). After all, the Association, Johnny Rivers, and the Mamas and Papas played, although I'm sure there were some in the audience who (wrongly) considered all 3 of them out of touch with the changing times.

saborlord123 and theMess like this.
  4. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Not necessarily. Most of my favorite bands didn't have just one front man, the classic example being the Beatles who divvied up the lead vocals and the onstage intros. Mike was a co-founder, though, and unsavory character that he could be, he did come up with some good lyrics and hooks.

5. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Being a front man is more than just singing and intros. It involves developing and maintaining a relationship with the crowd. That is how you have great concerts, like with Ozzy Osbourne. Finding a front man like Ozzy Osbourne or Mike Love is like finding a needle in a haystack.

6. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I'm talking about this alternate history, another what-if? situation. Booting Mike and releasing SMiLE could have changed his life much for the better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.