New Hawkwind (1970-1974) Box Set Coming in March

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by frank3si, Feb 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

2. Was Peter Mew still using no noise in 2007? I believe that is the most recent EMI remastering for Space Ritual Alive.

3. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

I got in on the 20.64 euro price (shipped) - too good to pass up - and got a "shipped" notice this afternoon....woohoo!

4. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

I bought this today & I can tell you that it sounds superb. Buy with confidence.

Larry Mc, pscreed, Pete Puma and 6 others like this.
  5. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

Any other reviews on this box? I'm hoping to receive mine sometime this week.

Platterpus likes this.
  6. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Mastered by Peter Mew has me very scared.

7. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

And they've done a smashing job with them too.

Pete Puma likes this.
  8. Yes they have :righton:

9. Again, Peter only mastered the live material (and maybe not even the Greasy Trucker disks).

10. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

Yikes...this is $82 on amazon.ca...

11. Strummergas

12. Tony L

Tony L Forum Resident

I bought it from Amazon.de at the low price indicated upthread, it landed late last week. I've not much knowledge of Hawkwind CDs, so I've no idea how these compare there, but I've compared a couple to very tidy original UK vinyl and I think they are pretty decent. I tried a track off two; the first album CD vs my UK Liberty press and Doremi vs UK UA. The first album does have a noticeably different EQ between vinyl and CD, the vinyl is warmer and more mid-centric, the CD a bit dry and scooped in comparison, I definitely prefer the vinyl here, but there is nothing horrible about the CD. Doremi sounds a lot more similar and very good indeed IMO, the vinyl again has a little more warmth, though the CD may edge it on detail, space etc - it seems very easy to hear the spring reverb on the VCS3 etc, it sounds great. In Search Of Space sounds great too, but I didn't compare it to my vinyl.

The only CD vs CD comparison I was able to do was Space Ritual as I've got the late 90s (I think) expanded 2xCD issue with You Shouldn't Do That etc added at the end. This CD sounds pretty rough IMO, harsh and compressed and sounds nothing like the vinyl, it's far more aggressive and flat sounding. The version in the box is reduced back to the vinyl length and has no bonus tracks, but sounds way, way better. It's now got some warmth to it and whilst I've not compared it to my original vinyl copy it at least sounds like the same music! As such I like the box a lot, especially at the price paid. The only caveat I'd add is my hearing is only good to 12khz or so, so I'm probably not the one to ask about no-noise etc, though I can't recall hearing much tape hiss etc, but it kind of gets lost behind the VCS3s etc anyway, so I doubt they could do too much damage there!

PS I've not played Greasy Truckers CD at all, Ive got the 3xCD of that with the Man set etc which sounds great, so I've not felt the need. 1999 sounds a bit crunched, but I've never heard that before in any context so have no benchmark. Hall sounds pretty good.

AlienRendel, Platterpus and Pete Puma like this.
  13. Box arrived today. I haven't heard it yet, but here is some additional info on mastering: The mastering credit on the side of the box indicates "mastered by Peter Mew and Nigel Reeve at Abbey Road Studio". No actual indication who mastered what, or whether it was a team effort, but the mastering dates offer clues as Peter retired from Abbey Road in September, 2013:

The singles and b-sides disk: includes 6 songs mix in 1996 which were likely mastered by Peter Mew for EMI 1996 and may have some no-noise processing, 6 songs remastered in 2011 for EMI's Parallel Universe Box -remastered by Peter Mew - no evidence of no-noise, low-generation sources, but loud, 3 songs remastered in 2015 (Nigel Reeve?).

Greasy Truckers: remastered in 2007 except for the 2 bonus tracks remastered in 1996 . The bonus tracks were remastered by Peter Mew, but I am not sure who mastered the other tracks, though it is likely an uncredited Pascal Byrne as he remastered all the Greasy Trucker tracks for the 2007 box set (which included all the other bands as well as Hawkwind).

Space Ritual: 2007 mastering which is likely Peter Mew's work for the deluxe issue from that year. Not great, but better than his 1996 remastering if no noise was used, it was slight and not easily noticed.

The 1999 Party: remastering from 1997 or 2001? -not sure as I have nothing to compare it to. Probably remastered by Peter Mew at EMI.

Hall of the Mountain Grill: 2015 remaster (Nigel Reeve?)

DOREMI…: 2015 remaster (Nigel Reeve?)

X In Search of Space: 2015 remaster (Nigel Reeve?)

ST: 2015 remaster (Nigel Reeve?)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    AlienRendel and Platterpus like this.
  14. Strummergas

Thanks guys! Hopefully this arrives today as I'm dying to sink my teeth into it.

Platterpus likes this.
  15. Filled in a few gaps in my collection with this box. Can you identify which core Hawkwind studio album I am missing?
    [​IMG]

Larry Mc, Platterpus and Dino like this.
  16. Tony L

Tony L Forum Resident

I suspect the Space Ritual is new - I think Brainstorm etc are back to the original UA LP length, i.e. it's not just missing the bonus tracks. The previous two CDs were remixes weren't they?

Platterpus likes this.
  17. gohill

gohill Senior Member

Quark Strangeness and Charm, can't see it.

DreadPikathulhu likes this.
  18. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Unless it has a cover I'm not used to, I don't see Choose Your Masques.

Larry Mc likes this.
  19. gohill

gohill Senior Member

oh quark is on a two fer on the 2nd row.

Les Ratcliffe likes this.
  20. Glennza

Glennza Londoner, lost in the back of beyond

I've never heard a digital version of the first album that I've liked. Hoping this one will come close but, from your description, it doesn't sound promising.

21. After reviewing it closer it is definitely not the 2007 remaster which did include some new mixes. The advertisement (linked on page 1) claimed the studio material was remastered so this is confusing. I don't have the '96 remaster or the original cd release to compare this mastering to. Edit: The track times don't match the One Way release or the '96 remaster -this may be a new mastering as you speculate.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  22. ding ding ding -You are correct!

Yes -I also have the Atomhenge remaster but did not place it in the shot.

23. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Woo hoo!

That's one of my favorite HW albums. I took a road trip in the mid-90s and played it constantly.

24. I have it all as a digital download from Amazon -when I find the cd cheap I will pick it up. It has some excellent material.

25. Space Ritual is significantly quieter than the 2007 remaster :agree:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.