Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #68)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Mar 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Mine are the two Pearl 2CD sets, expertly transferred by Seth Winner.

I have a second copy of volume two if someone is looking to buy one, just PM me.

2. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Thanks for the info. Yes, I was talking about a different recording, because I had the Sonata at hand (the flacs, actually) and decided to listen to it in order to hear if there's any difficulties. The same artists, the same company, and recordings within a quite short period of time... I thought it's reasonable to compare the results also between the records. Remembering you had a Naim player, I was slightly suprised to read about the harshness.

3. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Having a Naim CD-player doesn't mean there can be no harshness :)

The more I think about it "harshness" is not the right description; as I suggested earlier it sounds more as if they placed the microphones too close to the instruments, it's a kind of "booming" effect in forte passages. I also heard it on my previous systems, so it has nothing to do with that.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
    jukes likes this.
  4. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Dear classicists,
    I've a new question. Because of my last visit to a concert of St. Matthew Passion inwhich a great sounding viola da gamba was being played (for which I felt in love with :love:), i'm looking for a cd or SACD of another concert where that instrument is easilly heard, or even better: is playing an important role.

Some tips or links for me? :)

5. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Jordi Savall's SACDs on Alia Vox, toppermost:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ToddBD, Soulpope, Mik and 4 others like this.
  6. nightstand68

nightstand68 Forum Resident

One of my favorite sounding classical CDs.

[​IMG]

vanhooserd, John S, 5-String and 2 others like this.
  7. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Ha Robin, great suggestions! I immediately purchased that soundtrack 'Tous les matins du monde'. I think that's a great appetizer. The album of Marin Marais is being put at my wishlist.:pleased:

Robin L likes this.
  8. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

There's an Alia Vox Sacd of the François Couperin Viol Suites, really exquisite stuff:

[​IMG]

ToddBD, Soulpope, Mik and 2 others like this.
  9. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Initially I will stick to electrical recording. On the speed issue I'm not sure how much variation is possible with the Thorens speed adjustment-have to see if the manual is any help on that question. Can you recommend a cheapskate but decent cartridge?

10. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I have no complaints about USPS as far as international shipments are concerned.

11. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Unfortunately that's very true....

12. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I have ordered a copy of the Blue Ray Audio disc of the Solti version of Wagner's Ring. It is the "deluxe" version with the libretto book included. I have the 1997 CD remaster already and a pristine LP set issued on Teldec. So here we go again!

13. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

All time classics! Savall performed a viola da gamba recital with Hantai couple of weeks ago in Athens. A treasure. I remember I had to travel 500 km from Thessaliniki to Athens just to watch the movie back then.

Robin L likes this.
  14. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now: Schumann: Papillons, Op.2 (1951 Decca mono recording); Études symphoniques, Op.13 (1956 DG mono recording); Kreisleriana, Op.16 (1956 DG mono recording); Arabeske, Op.18 (1951 Decca mono recording) - Wilhelm Kempff - Kempff Plays Schumann - 2 CDs, Eloquence/DG; disc 2

[​IMG]

RiRiIII and Mik like this.
  15. drh

drh Talking Machine

No personal experience with it, but I think a lot of folks like Shure's "78 RPM" dedicated model. Expert Stylus has recommended it to me in the past for vertical cut disks. So that's one option to examine. You might also have a look at KAB (I think it is), which has more than one option, including sets of Grado carts with different sized styli (something you'll want to explore eventually if you get "seriously" involved in the hobby, but not the best path right now with only one spare arm wand). For what it's worth, I've had modified rapture with Grado on 78s; they sound very nice, but they aren't terribly tolerant of warped records running at that high a speed.

16. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

It's on order--$26.81 with tax and shipping.

17. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Heard this late last night, Pulcinella Suite/Song of the Nightingale, Ernest Ansermet, L'Orchestre de la Suisse Romande, London Stereo Treasury. The performances are about as good as I've heard. The sound is unusually realistic. Mine is a later pressing, still an orange label but now with black lettering instead of bronze/metallic lettering of earlier issues. I've owned quite a few different recordings of Pulcinella, this sounds the most idiomatic of all. Sonically, it would be hard to top.

[​IMG]

18. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

The soundtrack is more than an appetizer and a great first choice. Not yet mentioned is the re-recording of Marin Marias Gamba Suites Book 4 in surround, on two SACDs. Well worth hunting down:

[​IMG]

RiRiIII likes this.
  19. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Haha, I've read today so much about Jordi Savall and all his works that I'm afraid I will be broken soon. I knew his name, but never knew he was a viola da gamba player himself (well, I was not familiair with that instrument 'till last Eastern, so not that strange). I'm afraid I will be on a dieet of baroque (sounds like a contradiction...) for the coming weeks :)

If you know more fine works with that instrument, but not Savall (I would like to try out more musicians), you know how to find me!

PS: I just purchased your last suggestion, found it used for just 8 euro at French Amazon

Mik and Robin L like this.
  20. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Fretwork has wonderful recordings/performances as a viol consort. There's a series on Virgin Classics, two-fers at budget prices. Truth to tell, Jordi Savall's viol consorts are also top-rate. Can't have too many Viol recordings:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mik and ToddBD like this.
  21. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

The Naxos Historical was handled by Stuart Rosenthal ...

22. Tree-bot

Tree-bot Senior Member

Watched episode 2 "From Salzburg To Vienna" of Classical Destinations. The only criticism I have of this series is that the episodes are too short. Otherwise, the series is a great visual document of where some of the legendary composers wrote some of their classic works. The surroundings, typically of Europe are eye-catching to say the least, and very inspiring.

[​IMG]

23. coopmv

Was there a tour of the Salzburg concert hall (or whatever it is called) where those Salzburg Festivals concerts are held?

24. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I saw a couple of those onPBS a few years ago. One on Vienna and the Strauss family and another on Grieg.

I think I may have seen another on Verdi and Puccini.

25. coopmv

Now playing CD55 - Cantatas Nos 183-185 from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Mik likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.