Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality: "A Swingin' Affair" - 1957

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Jan 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Sorry to go off-topic here, but is there a discussion of the new Sinatra hi-res downloads anywhere on the forum? I'd be interested....

2. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

3. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

4. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I don't hear any of those LPs as being that great, and some are almost bad. The N16 sounds like a kinda average (even considering the mastering variations of an) old pressing of this - nothing great, but inoffensive. The Japanese copy is lousy. The '83 MoFi is souped up sounding from a skunky tape. The UK Dell sounds like so much of the rest of the series - if you like them, you might like this too. It sounds 80's to me...though you could do worse. The Dutch Dell sounds like someone found a high filter button and pushed it.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
    MLutthans likes this.
  5. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Regarding the clips posted here: http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/1956_-_A_Swingin_Affair.html
    Oh....some are bad! I didn't mean to suggest otherwise.
    I do like that the high-hat (and other) cymbal work is very clear, and I like the overall tone. Not saying it's perfect (by a long stretch), but it has its good points, IMO.
    It's dreadfully bad!

6. MLutthans

From the Close to You thread, very recently:
    [​IMG]
    Just spotted this on Ebay:
    $_57-2SHTV.jpg

7. MLutthans

8. MLutthans

Recovering from an agonizing and demoralizing day of Swingin' Brass....back to A Swingin' Affair!

@tlmusic and @MMM have each shared their fondness for their D16 gray-label (I assume) pressings of A Swingin' Affair. I've posted clips from TLMusic's LP (thanks!), along with the corresponding clips from the 2014 MFSL CD.

You can find these by skimming down the page here: http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/1956_-_A_Swingin_Affair.html

TLMusic and Simon A like this.
  9. MLutthans

Ah, what the heck....let's put a pretty bow on this album's comparison stuff. I've posted my own conclusions on the site linked above, and will re-print them here, and of course, others are invited to chime in:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LPs: I have never owned a “D” pressing of this album, but the clips strike me as being very similar to D pressings for other mono albums of the era, i.e,. good tone, a mildly pillowy top end, and subtle compression, all adding up to a very pleasant listening experience. If you can find a clean one, odds are it will serve your needs quite well, and frankly, I find my N pressing to be a nice listen, too. The vintage UK pressings both strike me as being a little dull, and the 1984 Dutch LP is dead as a doornail, as is the Japanese LP, which also runs slow. The 1983 MFSL LP is bright and has reverb added. (Some added detail comes through, but it’s definitely “off.”)

Back in 2010, I wrote this regarding the 1984 UK “Dell” LP: <<Special mention should be made of the 1984 British pressing from the digitally-remastered “Alan Dell” series of LPs. This LP, while perhaps just a hair on the thin sounding side, is tonally quite nice. In fact, I find it to be very similar to the D5 pressing on the previous page, and that D5 is probably my favorite vintage pressing overall. Furthermore, this British LP is probably the only way to get all 15 original album cuts in one place, made from the correct, “dry” source tapes, on a non-vintage pressing. If you spot a clean copy, my advice is: get it! It’s a very high quality release, and since it’s nearly a quarter-century “newer” than the last batch of 9:00 rainbows, odds are pretty good that it will be in good shape, and these British pressings are cut on good quality, quiet vinyl.>> Not only am I going to stick by that bit of advice, but I will add an odd little supporting detail. In most of these LP comparisons, the 1984/85 UK LPs have very wide dynamics, and the original D and N pressings have relatively reduced dynamics. That’s almost a “given.” For whatever reason, the 1984 UK LP on this title has moderately reduced dynamics that are virtually identical to the original D cuts, so while the UK Dell LPs are usually quite different in overall effect than their vintage counterparts, in this particular case, there is an added bit of similarity.

CDs: The Norberg remaster is an absolute dud, but the Walsh and UK ’98 releases are quite good. That said......

Overall: To my ears, the 2014 MFSL CD hybrid disc is just about perfect. It has the excellent tone of the best LP pressings, plus added dynamics that the LP cutting practices of the 1950s tended to minimize. The only sonic concern I have, and I’m almost embarrassed to say this, is that I don’t care for how the rills (spaces between songs) are handled by means of a direct cut to “digital zero” (pure silence), rather than a tasteful, gradual fade, or even just leaving the hiss at full volume between tracks. I find the hard cuts to be distracting, but it’s a nit-pick regarding an otherwise exemplary disc. Kudos to Rob LoVerde and company at MFSL for finally giving this album its sonic due after nearly 60 years of attempts that fell short. My advice? Buy this hybrid SACD while it’s still in print. You won’t be disappointed!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks as always to the guys who submitted clips. Without their input, these comparisons could not be done. If somebody would still like to submit a clip, please contact me, and I will happily add it.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  10. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

I have a grey label "D" copy and rainbow points "N" copy. Though both sound great, my later "N" copy blew me away when I played it for the first time. Glad to have the MFSL SACD though, too.

Simon A likes this.
  11. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Isn't it nice to know that one can actually buy the MoFi hybrid now, easily, and not have to dig through various old copies (in usually questionable condition), to get a great sounding version of the album?

12. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

The one advantage I will give the D16 is that almost luscious midrange. It's rich and blooms. However, the MoFi doesn't have the congestion basically every other version of the album has, is tonally balanced from bottom to the top, with everything musically "working" naturally. Very nuanced. So yes, kudos to Rob LoVerde for a job really well done.

13. MLutthans

Any chance that was done with SONGS FOR SWINGIN' LOVERS, as well?

14. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Yes, sadly.

Bob Belvedere and MLutthans like this.
  15. MLutthans

[​IMG]
    Below are liner notes from this 1975 Dutch LP that @Henley sent my way:
    SinatraLinerNotesStory5.jpg
    The album contains all 15 songs, but is in very heavy-handed fake stereo (worse than other mono titles in the series).

rangerjohn likes this.
  16. Henley

Henley Forum Resident

Matt, the old Dutch pressing of this album (early 60's) suffered from the same problem so I bet that the same source was used for the Story Vol.5. Is the running order on the sleeve correct? These Dutch 60's pressing also tended to mess up with that and sometimes even had one of the songs duplicated on side 2...

17. MLutthans

I haven't played the album all the way through, the the jacket and labels both indicate the original 15-track running order.

18. Henley

Henley Forum Resident

Dutch early 60's pressing of A Swingin' Affair:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Simon A, rangerjohn and MLutthans like this.
  19. MLutthans

I love those green labels, very reminiscent to the look of USA EPs of the time.

rangerjohn likes this.
  20. MLutthans

Just noticed that the 1975 Dutch LP cover is adapted from the 1962 abridged release:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here's the 1957 version, below:
    [​IMG]

Simon A likes this.
  21. Henley

Henley Forum Resident

That will probably be the only thing you like as it sounds nasty and the liner notes are in Dutch...

22. MLutthans

There's got to be a zinger about my Dutch wife in there somewhere, but I'm not touching that one!

Simon A and wave like this.
  23. MLutthans

Apparently the Argentine EP comes with an added degree of creepiness in the cover art:
    $_57-4.JPG

24. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

Really creepy!

25. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Ahh yes, that was the Peter Lorre experimental artwork.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.