Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #68)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Mar 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Visited the lone thrift store in town over lunch today. The LP bin is usually sparse, containing hymn collections and Christmas albums, an occasional country LP, and sometimes a few classical LPs that are "well loved," if you get my drift. Today…today was divine intervention. Picked these two up for ten cents a piece. Yes, $.10 American. The Soria Series Living Stereo LP is absolutely mint, contains the info flyer, and plays like a dream. Love the interpretation as well. I haven't cleaned the Brahms yet, but it looks like it will be pretty good…just the front of the jacket remained for this one, the back is who knows where, so I will find a home for it with another jacket from a junk LP. ARL 1005 5A R, ARL 1005 6A R.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fastnbulbous and Robin L like this.
  2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

This is a rare find. I have never seen a recording of Karajan conducting the Beethoven 7th with the VPO and for RCA? :confused:

scottM and ToddBD like this.
  3. Tree-bot

Tree-bot Senior Member

Salzburg is featured on episode 1. The second episode is moving away from Salzburg to their next destination in the series. By memory, the 1st episode doesn't do a tour of the concert hall, although there is a small mention by a lady of the yearly festivals in Salzburg with her sitting in some hall, but I don't recall if she mentioned the name of that concert hall.

There are trailers from the series on Youttube but I don't know if you can find any full episodes there or anywhere else.

4. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I was in Salzburg for the festival 25 years ago. I attended two events, aconcert and an opera (both in the same hall). I certainly don't recall memorable architecture, but the acoustics seemed fine. The city is very pretty. I also enjoyed Vienna, which I saw on the same trip. In Vienna I went to the hall where Fidelio premiered. When I was there I got to see a touring production of 42nd Street. :rolleyes:

5. coopmv

Had you been there a few years earlier, you might have been able to attend the opening concert conducted by Mr K, the Director General of Europe ... :righton::winkgrin:

6. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Karajan didn't record for RCA, they were the U.S. licensee at the time. It's a Decca recording.

Robin L and ToddBD like this.
  7. coopmv

The label aside, this is the first time I saw the Beethoven 7th conducted by Karajan with the VPO ...

ToddBD likes this.
  8. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

The flyer says "To mark the 1959 world tour of the Vienna Philharmonic with Herbert von Karajan, conductor and orchestra made for the RCA Victor Soria Series the following recordings of music identified with the history and repertoire of the Philharmonic:"

Mozart, Symphony in G minor, K. 550; Haydn, Symphony in D, No. 104…LDS 2347
    Beethoven, Symphony No. 7…LDS 2348
    Brahms, Symphony No. 1…LDS 2351
    The Vienna of Johann Strauss, overtures, waltzes, polkas of Johann and Josef Strauss…LDS 2346
    All four records available in a set called "Vienna Philharmonic Festival," complete with "elaborate illustrated souvenir book"…LDS 6407

This is obviously a Shaded Dog, but after taking a closer look at the label, I noticed it's a Canadian pressing…holy crap.

9. coopmv

Now playing CD12 - Brahms Symphony No. 4, Academic Festival and Tragic Overtures by the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Fastnbulbous and Mik like this.
  10. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Yes, in the booklet in the Soria LP Karajan is referred to as the "The General Music Director of Europe"

11. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Ah, didn't know that, sorry for the incorrect info. Karajan did record Beethoven 7 with the VPO for Decca and it can be found on a number of discs, including these sets:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fastnbulbous and ToddBD like this.
  12. coopmv

I have a number of Karajan/VPO recordings on Decca but do not have this box ...

13. coopmv

Now playing CD21 - Symphonies Nos 52 & 64 from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Mik and J.A.W. like this.
  14. drh

drh Talking Machine

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  15. coopmv

Now playing CD4 - Beethoven Piano Concertos Nos 2 & 3 with the Mahler Chamber Orchestra from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Fastnbulbous likes this.
  16. coopmv

Now playing the following CD from my piano collection for a second listen ...

[​IMG]

Mik likes this.
  17. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I have the 2nd box. The 7th was recorded 3/9-10/59. Producer & engineer for the stereo issue were Ray Minshull & James Brown. The Soria Living Stereo was issued 12/59. By 1970 the rights had reverted to Decca which first issued the recording in the U.S. on London Stereo Treasury STS 15107.

ToddBD likes this.
  18. coopmv

I have quite a number of London Treasury LP's but not this particular recording ...

19. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

It was reissued on London Stereo Treasury Series. A very good rendition.

20. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Right now Symphony No. 1, will probably follow up with No. 9

[​IMG]

RiRiIII, Mik and ToddBD like this.
  21. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Aaron Copland – Celluloid Copland: From Sorcery to Science, The City (Suite), The North Star (Suite), The Cummington Story (Suite, arr. Sheffer)
    — Eos Orchestra — Jonathan Sheffer (Telarc)

[​IMG]

Remy, ToddBD, Mik and 1 other person like this.
  22. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

---------------------
    I'll bet the real disc sounds great as even this file has nice air and space to it.

23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now: J.S. Bach: Violin Concertos, BWV 1041-1042; after BWV 1055-1056 - Rachel Podger/Brecon Baroque - Channel Classics

[​IMG]

24. coopmv

I already have this recording in my collection and MDT just shipped the following SACD yesterday along with another half dozen recordings ...

[​IMG]

25. coopmv

I wish I had picked up more London Stereo Treasury Series LP's back in the days. They were great recordings at a bargain price ... :agree:

Vinylfindco and Robin L like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.