Rush - new 2015 vinyl and hi-res reissues thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Murph, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Mastered from original analog tapes and transfered to digital for "fixing some ticks an dropouts, pre echo etc".
    https://twitter.com/iiirdsworld/status/591511934597369856

2. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

I'm sure the vinyl sounds great, but so do the files they were cut from. I'll just stick with those and save the money, the shelf space and the need to get up every 15-20 minutes to flip the records over.

3. henry babenko

henry babenko Forum Resident

your better off skipping the vinyl, all of these vinyls will have the same problems with being warped and pops, amazon gotta be sick or returns by now.. surprised they don't complain to the disturbitaor

4. nightenrock

Yeah, there's that too.

5. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Huh. And here I was under the impression that the entire chain was analog.

6. rtrt

rtrt Forum Resident

my concern is the earlier post(s) showing that at least one of the high res sources was derived from a 44 source.

After all if there's a price premium for hi res files, the music should match, otherwise you're not getting what you're paying for.

7. mld218

mld218 Forum Resident

Ok so after a very busy couple of days I was able to settle in and open King vinyl purchased from Amazon. It is slightly domed and I only noticed it when playing side 2 because the edges were off the platter. I normally run my records through a cleaning process prior to listening but this time I skipped it simply due to time and laziness or I probably would have noticed the slightly domed record before playing it. My 2112 was so bad that my record doctor wouldn't even suck the solution off the record.

The vinyl is very quiet and I have not heard any pops or crackles on either side. I can also confirm that at least on my record side 1 is louder than side 2.

At this point I will probably not exchange it simply because it is so quiet and plays so well.

8. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

I agree. If it were that easy to warp them (and in such a short space of time), then surely it'd be equally easy to flatten them again!

9. bodicus

bodicus Forum Resident

2 sheets of glass. Clean lp in between. A few books on top to add some weight. Close (but not too close!) to a heat source like a radiator. Wait a few days. Sorted.

10. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Disappointing to hear reports of copies of A Farewell to Kings not being flat.
    These were pressed by Quality records, who are supposed to be one of the best
    plants in operation.

Regarding the digital processing and the debate between getting vinyl (with the inherent
    risks of inconsistency involved) and hi Rez files, the issue for me is who has the better
    D/A converter, me or the studio? Vinyl, even mastered from hi Rez files can sound wonderful,
    But in my opinion, you need a good turntable, and I personally don't mean something
    that costs under $2-3,000 to beat a good digital player. The performance and choice
    between formats really comes down to what home stereo you own. $200 turntable vs
    $5000 d/a converter? $5000 turntable vs apple laptop? The better hardware is the
    better sounding format.

Mij Retrac and marblesmike like this.
  11. And I still don't see it unless I am missing it. With the talk about the hi-rez of AFTK appearing to have been sourced for 44.1, I wonder if HDTracks is actually taking a more proactive role in making sure that when they say something is hi-rez, it IS hi-rez. We can dream, right?

Veovis likes this.
  12. rtrt

rtrt Forum Resident

Given that the reports of how good it sounds are positive (vinyl & download) i'd be happy to download a 44.1 version in the knowledge that, thats as good as the download gets -this time around at least!

I'd also expect the price to match the non hi res music files i.e. to be lower than 96 or 192

13. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

IMHO, the hi-res Kings from Acoustic Sounds still beats all previous digital editions. For this one, I'd recommend buying the 24/96 instead of the 192, considering the 44.1 tape being used. I will upload a sample or two today.

rtrt likes this.
  14. nightenrock

When Magee cut the Beatles stereo records from digital files, he told us that he used a Benchmark DAC. Not sure if that's what he's still using or not.

15. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

And yet it sounds exactly the same to the listener's ear as it did before this was discovered...

Orthonormal, Veovis and Ben Adams like this.
  16. nightenrock

He confirmed that he used the Benchmark for these too.

17. Sparkler

Sparkler Senior Member

Slightly domed copy (noticeable on side 2) from Acoustic Sounds here. Currently in the VinylFlat as we speak.

18. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Not ALL "vinyls" will have these problems. My copy DOES NOT have any issues.

Simon_LDT and scottp like this.
  19. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Replacement copy just arrived from Amazon. Perfectly flat with no warp whatsoever. Now, let's just hope it's quiet when I get to spin it tonight...

20. dazzlingmd

dazzlingmd Forum Resident

I agree with you and would dispute the kind of broad generalization from the post you responded to: "all of these vinyls will have the same problems with being warped and pops."

FWIW, I have purchased FBN, CoS, 2112, ATWAS and AFTK all from Amazon. Mine were all flat and quiet and sound wonderful with one exception. My CoS had a major pop at the beginning of The Necromancer, which you could see was from a fairly deep gouge about 1/8" long (popped on each revolution), so I returned that to Amazon hassle free and quickly got a replacement that sounds perfect. To my ears, these reissues sound fantastic, and spinning them is as much fun as I've had with my stereo system in a long time.

I'm happy to send back 1 out of 5 pressings to get reissues of this quality.

I can't wait for Hemispheres! After that, I already have a perfect MoFi Permanent Waves which sounds great, 2 mint RL Moving Pictures, one of which was a new Dutch Audiophile pressing from a few years back (which was really just a new, sealed RL pressing), and a fantastic sounding Japanese pressing of Exit Stage Left which blows the doors off of all my other pressings of that one (all of my other pressings sound poor to me--very muddy), so I'm on the fence on those 3 and will wait to hear comments before deciding whether to pull the trigger.

Jvalvano and marblesmike like this.
  21. Russell Weston

Russell Weston Forum Resident

Alright, so I just did a direct comparison between the "Sectors" version of COS and man is the new (2015) remaster just so much better. The Sectors version has an obviously crushed and bright sound, especially noticeable on the cymbals. The new master can be cranked without any fatigue whatsoever; this is what they should have sounded like in the first place! Just for background, my gear is an Oppo HA-1 running Audeze LCD-2F headphones and Emotiva Airmotiv 5 Speakers. The new remasters are def worth the money, imo. Highly recommended!

oneway23 likes this.
  22. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Well, they don't all have these problems. Every one I've had has been nice and quiet. And only AFTK has been even slightly bowled.

marblesmike likes this.
  23. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

There is hope - my Amazon purchased AFTK was domed so badly you could barely see the top of the spindle. My replacement arrived today and it is flat.

24. Blender

Blender Forum Resident

Right on. Good to know.

25. Darrin Crawford

Darrin Crawford Forum Resident

I guess a few people people are having problems with their AFTK. I have checked my local stores and nothing out as of yet. Weird!!
    Hope I don't end up with a copy like this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.