The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Stefon HarrisA Cloud of Red Dust (Blue Note)
    — With Mulgrew Miller or Jason Moran, Dwayne Burno, Alvester Garnett + Greg Osby, Steve Wilson, Steve Turre, Kaoru Watanabe, June Gardner

[​IMG]

2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

4. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Lennie TristanoDescent Into The Maelstrom (East Wind Music / Universal Music Japan)
    — half solo, half trio

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  5. ether-bored

ether-bored click OK to continue

[​IMG]
    akira ishikawa + count buffaloes - electrum

6. [​IMG]
    Miles Davis & Milt Jackson Quintet / Sextet (Prestige/OJC)

7. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

On the TT:

Wayne Shorter- JuJu (Blue Note 75th Aniv. Ed.)
    [​IMG]

Enjoying my new TT. Listening to things I'm very familiar with.

So, the presssing is a bit noisey, and the spindle hole is off center and of course the source is digital, but it does sound good. Blue Note is on the something here with these releases, I just wish they would improve the quality a bit. I'd pay $5 more for slightly quieter vinyl etc.

8. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob << Desert Rat >>

Joining in on The Duke Birthday Salute! Born April 29, 1899 in Washington, D.C.

Duke Ellington ~ The Far East Suite

[​IMG]

9. miklew

miklew Forum Resident

On the TT! Another one of my rare vault records. Roy Brooks and the Artistic Truth original pressing on Im-Hotep. Very deep stuff!

[​IMG]

10. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

A while back I heard 2 tracks from this (did not know who Akira Ishikawa was) "Speak Under My Breath" & "The Eyebrow". Thought they were great, but have NEVER seen a CD copy. Is this CD? Oop?

11. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

"Cecil Payne - Patterns Of Jazz" (1956) with Kenny Dorham (4 tracks), Duke Jordan, Tommy Potter (piano), Art Taylor.
    (Savoy CD 1991)
    [​IMG]

12. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

Oscar Pettiford- Lost Tapes, Germany 1958/1959
    [​IMG]

Interesting hodgepodge of recordings from the SWR archives featuring OP with a cast of thousands. OK, maybe not thousands but there's an interesting mix of players on this compilation. Google it for details.

13. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob << Desert Rat >>

Thoroughly enjoyed The Far East Suite, a favorite Ellington disc. Haven't heard this next one in many years. It's been way too long.

Duke Ellington & John Coltrane

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  14. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

15. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

"Thelonious Monk Quartet- Misterioso" (recorded live in New York, 1958) with Johnny Griffin, Ahmed Abdul-Malik, Roy Haynes.
    (OJC CD 1989)
    [​IMG]

16. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

[​IMG]
    Miles Davis - Sorcerer (mono, CL 2732). Picked up a still-sealed copy, doing a needledrop at 96/24. God, I love the mono mix on this album - fast and furious.

17. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

One of my favorite albums, regardless of genre. "Deluge" is devastatingly brilliant. I purchased my copy ca. 1984 and can still remember the first spin. Sounds great, just a few wear-related pops here and there. Sorry yours isn't up to snuff, but glad you'r liking the TT.

18. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

Duke Ellington - Jazz Party In Stereo

http://www.*******.com/uploads/posts/2012-09/1348837149_duke_ellington_-_jazz_party_in_stereo_19591998_losslessmp3_jazzswing.jpg

Campbell Saddler, 762rob, DrJ and 9 others like this.
  19. Mychkine

Mychkine Forum Resident

Blues from Olu Dara: In The World - From Natchez To New York. What a cool record, a favorite of mine.

[​IMG]

20. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

No worries on my end. Just too bad that the QC isn't a bit better. Like I said it did sound good, minor annoyances aside. That said, just finished listening to Monk's Criss-Cross on vinyl reissued from ORG music. That was glorious! The real vinyl experience.

johnnypaddock and Fastnbulbous like this.
  21. headman

headman Active Member

Marzz likes this.
  22. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Duke EllingtonHappy Birthday Duke! – The April 29th Birthday Sessions: Vol. 2 (Laserlight)
    — With Willie Cook, Cat Anderson, Clark Terry, Ray Nance / Britt Woodman, Quenton Jackson, Juan Tizol / Russell Procope, Rick Henderson, Paul Gonsalves, Jimmy Hamilton, Harry Carney / Wendell Marshall, Butch Ballard / Jimmy Grissom
    — Live dance date at McElroy's Ballroom, Portland, 1953

[​IMG]

23. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Art Blakey Percussion Ensemble & Jazz Messengers – Drum Suite (Columbia / Sony Muisc France)
    — Side A with Jo Jones, Candido, Sabu, Ray Bryant, Oscar Pettiford, Charles Wright
    — Side B with Bill Hardman, Jackie McLean, Sam Dockery, Spank deBrest

[​IMG]

24. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

Albert Ayler - Love Cry

[​IMG]

25. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Ted Sirota / Rebel Souls – Propaganda (naim)
    — With Kevin Kizer, Rob Mazurek, Jeff Parker, Noel Kupersmith + Ryan Shultz, Rick Gehrenbeck, Ruben Alvarez

[​IMG]

norman_frappe likes this.