Rush - new 2015 vinyl and hi-res reissues thread. (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Veovis

Veovis Forum Resident

AS e-mailed me and said the correct files were being uploaded and that they would notify me when I can download them. Guess that's why it's gone right now.

DiabloG likes this.
  2. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Got my AFTK vinyl today. I've decided to import all US presses (after buying both for COS and 2112), they're about £5 cheaper than the GZ pressed EU releases when buying from allyourmusic. I would like 2 copies of each album but not only will it cost too much but will take up much more space so for the time being I'll continue with just the US releases.

Will report back later with my impressions on sound/press quality.

3. Well, then I know where I'm going to purchase it!

4. robtodd

robtodd Forum Resident

Simon. How is your packaging experience? I have been buying from Amazon US and three LPs up to AFTK have had seam splits despite Amazon putting the LPs in the correct mailers.

Sadcafe likes this.
  5. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

All 5 I've ordered so far have arrived with no splits or any other damage. Allyourmusic always use a cardboard stiffener which wraps around both sides of the LP and then they use some kind of vacuum packed cardboard mailer. It's not the best mailer but the card stiffeners really do the trick and there is no chance the LP will move inside the package.

6. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

I got the same email. I'm looking forward to hearing the true hi-res.

7. robtodd

robtodd Forum Resident

Thanks. I'll cancel my pre-orders with Amazon and go the other route. Do you order through resellers via Amazon UK or US?

8. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

I order via amazon.co.uk and the seller to look for is 'allyourmusic'. Delivery is usually 10-14 days.

robtodd likes this.
  9. middletown drums

middletown drums Forum Resident

OK, I'll play:

1. JAMF vinyl
    2. Canadian Anthem CD
    3. 2015 digital download
    4. 2015 vinyl

If this is correct, as you've provided clues in your earlier message about your preferences, I can definitely tell a difference between 3 and 4. It's mostly based on volume. However, as we know now, it's the same master. So, the difference shouldn't be that big, if at all. Anyway, if I'm right, I'm stumped at why I'm hearing such a difference.

10. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Glad I held off on buying this. Now if I could just figure out where its safe to 192/24 and where I should buy it from.

johnny q and sound chaser like this.
  11. botley

botley Forum Resident

After applying replay gain, I couldn't tell much difference between them — but slightly preferred #4 also. It's probably to do with the tighter, more resonant bass sound.

12. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

You are correct, sir!

When I listen to these, I listen at various points on the dial, so if something is louder, it doesn't translate to me as better. The Digital Download is quieter than the others, yes, but to me it still sounds kinda "meh" compared to the other three, when I turn it up.

But I will say this... On its own the 2015 Digital Download sounds pretty good. Especially when you compare it with the Sector or '97 Remaster.

Good to see others picking #4 as well. :)

13. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

So none of these are the newest detail hi rez? The download is just a 320 MP3 right? I'll have to pull out my bluray from last year now to compare but wondering if there is snippet of the 24/192 of 2112 out there...

14. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

This month is Hemispheres! Ohh...yeah...:righton:

redteck and DiabloG like this.
  15. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

Now sure what that means. The digital download is 24/192 flac. I down-converted the sample to 24/96.

16. robtodd

robtodd Forum Resident

Thank you.

17. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

I was wondering if the digital you had was from the free download with the vinyl. Apparently you had access or bought the 24/96. I may rethink going vinyl on a few of these releases.

By the way here is the comparison of Farewell to Kings, 24/92 (Really 44.1) from Acoustic Sounds and 24/192 from ProStudioMasters.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rockos likes this.
  18. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

I bought these. The digital download I since gave to a friend of mine. I kept track 2 for comparison. I also bought the 2015 vinyl but I did not rip it and I won't be opening mine. Oh, and I'm selling the Canadian Anthem CD.

19. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Ok so I don't quite follow your original posting with the samples. If the samples were as follows below, and you DIDN'T rip the 2015 vinyl then what is the sample that you posted? Notes below too

1. JAMF vinyl < Not a bad sounding rip...but the others are better
    2. Canadian Anthem CD < Ditch this one for sure
    3. 2015 digital download (24/96? or down sampled 24/192?)
    4. 2015 vinyl < Where did you get this?

20. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

I don't think it's relevant who I got it from. But if you require an answer...my next door neighbor did it.

21. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

I was only asking as I was impressed by the quality. thanks

Majestyk likes this.
  22. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Listened to my US copy earlier. Mine is slightly dished too, nothing drastic but easily noticeable as the record doesn't sit flat on the platter. Sound doesn't seem compromised at all and I'm impressed with the overall quality. For me, this is the least improved upon so far (if that makes sense?). I've compared to my original Atomic CD and Japan Epic CD and there is not much difference. The biggest improvement to me is more solid bass and low-end in general although it's still a little bass-light compared to say 2112 or Hemispheres.

Side B definitely seems quieter up until Cygnus, but then I noticed the same issue on my CD's too so it must just be the master and not how it's cut.

BTW, no pops during Madrigal on mine. In fact the whole LP is very quiet, just about hear the stylus scraping through the grooves and barely any clicks.

marblesmike likes this.
  23. redteck

redteck Forum Resident

Did anyone else get a notice that Hemispheres is delayed until late June, or is it just Amazon? I probably jinxed myself with the previous post bragging about my luck.

24. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Still May 19 at Acoustic Sounds & Music Direct, but that could change. I've also seen pricing bounce around a bit too.
    I bought 2112 and AFTK recently at quite a discount. My copy of AFTK isn't super flat, not dished, but a bit warped,
    and was hoping for better given Quality Records pressings I have.

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-315011-rush-hemispheres-200g-vinyl-lp.aspx
    http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/104461/Rush-Hemispheres-200_Gram_Vinyl_Record

25. Russell Weston

Russell Weston Forum Resident

It's still scheduled for May 19th on Amazon. Just checked.