Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #69)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Apr 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Listening to one of three recordings of Mozart's Clarinet Concerto in the big EMI HvK box, this one with the Berlin Phil and Karl Leister. I'm not a big fan of von Karajan's Mozart, so I had put this off. But actually the orchestra is acceptable - the performance seems a bit relaxed. But I really think the EMI engineers do Leister, an injustice. The clarinet lacks warmth, particularly strange for an A clarinet. (It sounds a bit like a recorder.) I know Leister well enough to be quite certain he is not to blame.

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I've tried Mozart's Clarinet Concerto several times, but I've always disliked the instrument's tone. On the other hand, I love the bass clarinet, especially in jazz (Eric Dolphy, for instance).

John S likes this.
  3. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Some pretty virtuosic playing on this record, to be sure...

4. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

About to play:

[​IMG]

London STS 15107. Beethoven's 7th symphony, Karajan, Vienna Philharmonic. This was my first LP of Beethoven's 7th, back in the very early 1970's. Recall it being well recorded with a good transfer.

Mik, vanhooserd, PH416156 and 2 others like this.
  5. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

You should listen to Barney Bigard's small group recordings (under Barney's leadership with a Duke Ellington ensemble)

6. john greenwood

Well as I (try to) play clarinet, you should not be surprised that my perspective differs. Which clarinet recordings have you listened to? Have you listened to the Mozart on a basset clarinet? Have you listened to any of Brahms' chamber music for clarinet?

As it happens, earlier today I listened to one of my favorite jazz albums to feature bass clarinet (and clarinet) - specifically Don Byron on Bill Frisell's "Have a Little Faith." I considered posting in this thread about it as the disc includes jazz arrangements of music by Ives and Copland. It also includes jazz arangements of Sonny Rollins, Muddy Waters, Sousa, Dylan and Madonna. It is in fact a celebration of American music in its broadest sense.

bluemooze likes this.
  7. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Agree, too much speaking. :)

8. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Faure - Pelleas et Melisande/Pavane Op. 50/Fantasie pour flute Op. 112/Masques et Bergamasques" performed by ASMF led by Neville Marriner on Argo.

[​IMG]

Mik, vanhooserd, ToddBD and 2 others like this.
  9. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

The singing, of course, is great.

bluemooze likes this.
  10. john greenwood

Some of the music from "Pelleas et Melisande" is used by Balanchine in "Emeralds."

bluemooze likes this.
  11. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I've been listening to jazz for over 50 years and I know Barney Bigard's recordings, so you don't have to tell me what to listen to.

(This may sound a little harsh, but it annoys me when people tell me I should do this or that)

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  12. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Yes, I have listened to all kinds of works for clarinet, both in classical and jazz (and also other kinds of music), and I just don't like its tone - as I said with the exception of the bass clarinet. No offence intended, but it's just not the instrument for me.

13. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky – String Quartet No.1 Op.11
    Alexander Borodin – String Quartet No.2
    Emerson String Quartet (Deutsche Grammophon)

[​IMG]

Mik, bluemooze and ToddBD like this.
  14. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now: Schumann: Piano Sonata 2, Op.22; Nachtstücke, Op.23; 3 Romanzen, Op.28; Waldszenen, Op.82 - Wilhelm Kempff - Schumann: Piano Works - 4 CDs, DG; disc 4

[​IMG]

Mik, bluemooze, ToddBD and 1 other person like this.
  15. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  16. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

bluemooze likes this.
  17. john greenwood

George - I'm debating whether to pick up Richter's WTC from ImportCDs. Cost is about $12 (for both books) plus shipping.

18. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

That's a helluva price! I say grab it!

Byrdsmaniac likes this.
  19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now: Beethoven: Sonatas for Violin and Piano 6-8, Op.30/1-3 - Isabelle Faust and Alexander Melnikov - Beethoven: Complete Sonatas for Violin and Piano - 3 CDs + 1 CD/DVD, Harmonia Mundi France; disc 3

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  20. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Needledropping a copy of Turnabout tv 34046s:

[​IMG]

Great electronic music LP, 1966. Has Cathy Berberian as out there as all get out on Visages. Cage's Fontana Mix is justifiably famous as an early electronic classic. Ilhan Mimaroglu is a name otherwise unrecognized. Agony is a work that sounds like musique concrete but is made entirely of purely electronic/synthesized sounds. The sound quality is surprising good, considering the source.

Mik, bluemooze and ToddBD like this.
  21. john greenwood

Robin L likes this.
  22. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  23. john greenwood

In mine as well (ImportCDs). I'm putting together an order to place during their storewide sale. This will be my first Xenakis disc.

24. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Look who is turning pages for Yuja Wang.

Mik and Robin L like this.
  25. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

As a composer I know Mimaroglu only from his appearance in two or three anthologies like this one from Turnabout. He was also involved as a producer for Atlantic Records; Finnadar was his "imprint" for the label. Among other things, he produced the Charles Mingus "Changes One" and "Changes Two" albums.

Robin L likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.