Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #69)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Apr 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing CD1 from the following box, which just arrived from across the pond today for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

This is the same as the following single, which has been in my collection for some times.

[​IMG]

Mik, vanhooserd, ToddBD and 2 others like this.
  2. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Different mastering, though, Stuart.

3. coopmv

Must be for the better hopefully ...

4. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Not in the case of the Brahms 2nd PC. They cut some of the highs on the new box to reduce the hiss. :(

5. coopmv

What is so big deal about tape hiss? I used to listen to tapes often ... :shrug:

geralmar likes this.
  6. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Many people who grew up with digital recordings seem to regard tape hiss as an anomaly from the Stone Age that should be wiped out at all cost...

7. coopmv

Most people who grew up with digital recordings probably do not even listen to classical music IMO. Sony is catering to the wrong audience ... :confused:

ToddBD and George P like this.
  8. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Classical music has never appealed to a mass audience, but I'm not so sure fewer people listen to it these days than before.

9. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Victoria - Missa Salve Regina/Motets" performed by Ensemble Plus Ultra led by Michael Noone on Archiv.

[​IMG]

Mik and john greenwood like this.
  10. coopmv

Now playing CD2 from the following box - Richter at Carnegie Hall all Beethoven Program for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  11. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I listened to Richter playing Rachmaninov's 2nd on DG early this evening. Then Rubinstein and Leinsdorf combining on Brahms' 1st.

bluemooze likes this.
  12. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

This is a hugely enjoyable new recording. It combines arrangements of Renaissance works as well as two neo-Renaissance works written for them. The LAGQ's members are all amazing virtuosi who play with stunning passion. The sound pretty much places them in one's living room.

[​IMG]

Mik, Robin L, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  13. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I'll take some hiss any day over low resolution quantization!

George P likes this.
  14. coopmv

:agree:

15. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I love it. The video is interesting too.

John S and Robin L like this.
  16. coopmv

Now playing CD27 - Symphonies Nos 67 & 68 from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Mik, bluemooze and ToddBD like this.
  17. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

In the CD player...I wore out an LP of this in college as an aspiring trumpet player listening to the majestic sound of these legendary players almost nonstop.
    [​IMG]

18. drh

drh Talking Machine

If ever there was a recording that should have been done in surround, it's this one. Alas, two channel only, at least as far as I've been able to tell. And then they go on and on straining mightily to capture--a little bit of echo from the back wall of the hall. Sigh....

In fairness, E. Power Biggs did make a recording of antiphonal organ music in quad. I remember the LP had an elaborate diagram of how the banks of pipes were arrayed and how they folded down into two channels for regular stereo.

ToddBD and Robin L like this.
  19. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

That E. Power Biggs album is an expensive one on SACD. http://www.amazon.com/Bach-Four-Gre...1430793374&sr=8-1&keywords=e+power+biggs+sacd

Robin L likes this.
  20. coopmv

21. drh

drh Talking Machine

What a shame--everything I've heard by Kraft I found kinda dull. Biggs, of course, although he moved to the United States in his mid-'20s, was born in England. He made records for Victor during the 78 era, including some with Arthur Fiedler's Sinfonietta (an outlet the conductor started for somewhat off-the-beaten-track literature more "serious" than the standard Pops fare, like Mozart's organ/orchestra sonatas, and, if I'm not much mistaken, the first ever recording of Pachelbel's Canon, then far from the chestnut it has become today). I think Biggs may also have made records for a small American classical label called Technicord, but don't quote me on that.

Biggs had an endearing sense of fun. I still enjoy a couple of Columbia LPs he recorded of Scott Joplin on pedal harpsichord.

John S likes this.
  22. drh

drh Talking Machine

23. coopmv

I have Kraft's VoxBox on Buxtehude, though I like the box by Spang-Hanssen a bit more ...

24. drh

drh Talking Machine

25. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Healthy reaction, indeed.

vanhooserd and ToddBD like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.