Ultimate Led Zeppelin Vinyl Pressings!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Neilson77, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident Thread Starter

All the fuss seems to be surrounding the new remasters atm. I think Presence and ITTOD improve on the originals judging from the mastered for iTunes which are from the new remasters and should sound about the same. My ultimate versions though are ofcourse vinyl-

I - US AT/GP George Piros or Classic 200G
    II - US RL
    III - UK Plum A5/B5
    IV - UK Plum A3/B3 or B4
    HOTH - UK A1/B1 Porky/Pecko or later RL pressings
    PG - UK A1/B4 or B5/C1/D1
    Presence - Classic 200G
    ITTOD - Classic 200G
    Coda - Classic 200G

What are others opinions? Im betting most would firmly agree with the above list as the best you can get!

2. Neilson77

3. Neilson77

Just listening to the new Physical Graffiti remaster and its pretty damn good! Sounds clearer than my UK Vinyl, maybe this is just due to a bit of EQ though?

4. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

it would be cool to see what other pressings you compared to reach these conclusions....

5. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

this is what i have
    LZI- uk plum
    LZII- US RL
    LZIII- 2014 reissue
    LZIV- 2014 reissue
    houses of the holy- US monarch RL
    physical graffitti- US press
    presence- still looking
    in through the outdoor- still looking

Jonahthecat and joshm2286 like this.
  6. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Dont know, but folks are saying the new PG is the best of the remaster lot. Most improvement so far, anyway.

Evan Egg and joshm2286 like this.
  7. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

Solid list from the original poster. I can't see any corrections

kozy814, Clanceman, rxcory and 5 others like this.
  8. Neilson77

Was mostly based on forum opinions of best pressings for each title. Lots of replies as to which were the best and these tended to be mentioned the most as the best u can get.

joshm2286 and marcfeld69 like this.
  9. richarm

richarm Senior Member

Clearer doesn't necessarily mean more musical. I prefer my original vinyl - more presence if you'll pardon the pun...

10. wpjs

wpjs Forum Resident

IMO- The new PG beats my old US pressing (although it's not a 1st pressing) It's cleaner and doesn't skip.
    (My old copy has 2 skips. After listening to it for years it's odd to hear the songs without the skips. A part of my brain still hears the skips)

I'll keep my older copy- but when I want to hear this record I will most likely spin the remaster.

11. Kossoff is God

Kossoff is God Forum Resident

I agree but I think a US 1st press Monarch of Physical Graffiti should get a special mention.

Grootna, boboquisp, JMWills and 6 others like this.
  12. Neilson77

Just listening to my 2014 reissue of III. It sounds similar to the original US pressing but compared to an A5/B5 UK Plum its veiled and lacks detail/clarity. Maybe the plum was midrange boosted but it sounds better to my ears than the reissue. I have 1-3 on vinyl of the recent reissues. 1 and 2 are very good, don't best the classic records or an RL though.

SoundDoctor and boboquisp like this.
  13. John Boy

John Boy Forum Resident

I - Classic 200G
    II - US RL
    III - Classic Records
    IV - UK Plum A3/B3
    HOTH - UK A2/B2 RL
    PG - Classic Records
    Presence - Classic 200G
    ITTOD - Classic 200G
    Coda - Classic 200G

I've compared many different versions but have never heard or seen the A1/B1 Porky/Peko HOTH.

izgoblin, joshm2286 and dobyblue like this.
  14. Neilson77

Always wanted the Classic 200G of ITTOD but its ridiculously expensive now and the rarest of the Classic records Zep. I only really like In The Evening though but wow what a track!

joshm2286 and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  15. Matt Starr

Matt Starr Forum Troglodyte

My favs line up pretty close to the OP until after PG. I haven't heard those later classics but I'm sure they are better than originals based on all the posts here.

I - US AT/GP
    II - (toss up) US RL/UK plum A2/B2
    III - UK plum A5/B5
    IV - UK plum A3/B4 (honorable mention to the Classic)
    HOTH - US RL
    Physical Graffiti - UK A1/B4/C1/D1
    Presence - US Monarch
    ITTOD - US Monarch

ifyouever and T-Bird like this.
  16. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I don't think you can go wrong with the Classic Records pressings, even II. Found I greatly preferred Classic II over a UK plum (RL is pretty impossible to find in UK). Of the new pressings found III came closest to the Classic for SQ. Other new titles can be a little muddy but do excel at bass. All these sound better than the 80's represses I used to own.

Stone Turntable and joshm2286 like this.
  17. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Sadly I no longer have my set of UK originals to compare with, just the vinyl Mothership set, and all the new 2014/2015 vinyl remasters with the bonus discs.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for the thread. It's nice to see one where someone has pulled together other threads and done a nice neat summary, which is probably spot on or close to it. Nice to see also that the new Physical Grafitti is highly regarded. I started listening to it again after I heard Bob Plant say it was his favourite Zep, and it's slowly become mine too, several years on....

caravan70, joshm2286, Peter M and 2 others like this.
  18. simonux

simonux Custom Title

Can't go wrong with a Presswell as well.

Jam757, black sheriff and jon9091 like this.
  19. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Really good low end on those. My faves of PG.

20. The MO of Presence is incredible.

timzigs, joshm2286, cmndrums and 2 others like this.
  21. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

When I was a kid my copy of Rod Stewarts "Every Picture Tells A Story" would get stuck in the same spot during "(I Know) I'm Losing You." Nonetheless I played the record to death. To this day (over forty years later) I do a double take every time I hear that song sans the skip.

22. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

I have a Canadian pressing of PG which is exceptional. I accidentally pulled it out the other day instead of the 2015 reissue. I was half way through the first side before I realized my mistake.

23. Along with HOTH, which I do have the 200g CR of, ITTOD is my fave LZ album but out of my league when it comes to the CR reissue. Maybe one day ( I can dream, right?).

joshm2286 likes this.
  24. Kossoff is God

Kossoff is God Forum Resident

The Canadian pressing is just as good and a lot cheaper.

25. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

Presence- The Classic used to be my go to and totally rocks, but now it is a promo copy with the orange sticker (RI- Richmond? pressing). Just a tighter, leaner, meaner sound on my system.
    I would like to find one of these.

caravan70 and hi_watt like this.