Jethro Tull Too Old To Rock and Roll too young to Die! deluxe 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, May 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective Thread Starter

2. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

interesting... 5.1 mix would be so nice!

tootull likes this.
  3. spotlightkid

spotlightkid Senior Member

I am a huge fan of this Tull recording.

4. Who'sTommy

Who'sTommy Forum Resident

Nice, but I hope they will put out "Heavy Horses" and "Songs from the Wood" as a Deluxe Edition as well sometime.

5. Daniel Falaschi

Wonder if they will stick to the 2cd+2dvd format. I am not sure there is so much of extras this time, other than that cheesy TV special.

6. I would like a good quality print of the tv special. It would also be cool if we get the comic pictures as a backdrop for the 5.1 mix -like they did with Gentle Giant's Power and the Glory. Great album that deserves this presentation.

DonnyMe, tootull and ParloFax like this.
  7. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

This is an odd one for me. Overall it's a mixed bag from Tull. It has some wonderful moments: Salamander, From a Deadbeat to an old Greaser, Too Old to Wear a Cod Piece and Roll, Pied Piper, Bad Eyed and Loveless.

It also has some real clunkers: Quiz kid, Taxi Grab, The Chequered Flag.

I think overall the album suffers from the concept - Anderson writes too literally, and the underlying story line is too thin and dare I say silly.

On the plus side the artwork is tremendous, and it'll look great in the book format.

Not essential, imo.

Yeah, I'll be buying it. :D

tedhead, kenbefound and mmars982 like this.
  8. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Has Steven Wilson been confirmed for this one?

9. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

Never a JT album I cared for very much but if I see a deal that's too good to pass up I'll buy it for the collection. SftW and HH please - I'll not hesitate on buying either or both of those.

10. Daniel Falaschi

They will come out, no doubt about it. Ian has said that as long as SW is willing to do the work, this series will continues. And if not, Jakko will jump on board.

pinkchris1967 likes this.
  11. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

12. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident

As I said on the other thread, other Tullavision videos (other than the Tampa one) are known to exist. I don't know if Ian has access to them, though.

13. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

Best album title of that decade.

Thing Fish likes this.
  14. Hogtown

Hogtown New Member

I am looking forward to this one, because the last three have been so great as 4 disc sets. That TV special will likely be included (watch once?). I have been surprised with some of the extra tracks on Passion & War Child, so maybe there will be a couple of nuggets on this one and maybe even a live audio? As somebody questioned above, perhaps there isn't much and the 4 disc format is reduced slightly.

15. Daniel Falaschi

Originally posted y showtaper:

Not without betraying some hard-earned confidences.

Without being too specific there is some alternate camera footage from the 1970 Isle
    of Wight, a full mid-seventies US pro-shot, and a fair amount of a 1971 show for starters.
    There are a number of 1/2" black & while reel to reel videos (some with soundboard patches)
    starting as early as 1969 (semi-pro).

------
    Can you add something else beyond these?

stonedhenge likes this.
  16. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident

Tullman likes this.
  17. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

If "they" means SW, auto-buy for me.

Who'sTommy and KASHMIR like this.
  18. ribors

ribors Forum Resident

Those are three of my favorite tracks on the album! Well the first two at least. For me the clunkers are the title track and From a Dead Beat, I press skip almost every time.

I agree it's an uneven album and you are spot on regarding the weak "concept".

19. KASHMIR

KASHMIR Forum Resident

Taxi Grab and Quiz Kid are the songs that I remember that I liked from the album. It has been years since I listened to it.

Furthermore, I agree with the message below and have not listened to the album in a long time because of the uneven flow of it.

Gonna give it a spin tonight.

ribors said:
    "Those are three of my favorite tracks on the album! Well the first two at least. For me the clunkers are the title track and From a Dead Beat, I press skip almost every time.

I agree it's an uneven album and you are spot on regarding the weak "concept"."

20. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

Yes. I assumed (my mistake) that most people could find the 1976 stuff without much difficulty.
    There are indeed more 1976 videos in private collections and in easily searched professional libraries.

21. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Definitely looking forward to it. Hope it is a multi-disc thing in a book like Minstrel, WarChild, Thick Brick, Passion Play etc.

Still haven't even had a chance to open my Minstrel in the Gallery set though. Gotta dig out the old tennis racquet to air guitar along with the title song, like I did when I first heard it!

EVOLVIST likes this.
  22. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Love the format the Tull sets are coming in recently. I will buy these as long as they put them out. Do hope that SW continues to be involved, but I'm on board regardless.

Personally I think they should continue at least through Stormwatch.

That might be a bridge too far for some of you guys.

Do I hear any votes for "A" out there?

Besides me...

23. ribors

ribors Forum Resident

I'm there until they release the deluxe Rock Island.

Keith V, Carserguev and pscreed like this.
  24. Shame SW's 'Benefit' and 'Aqualung' were not released in the same large digibook format.

FVDnz, Blair G., Starwanderer and 3 others like this.
  25. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident

"A" is in my top 5 Tull albums, so... yeah, me!

pscreed likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.