Sisters of Mercy Floodland and Vision thing.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Baba Oh Really, May 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite" Thread Starter

First off, just for the record, I am I guess in the minority of those who think that "First and last and always" is not the best Sisters of Mercy album.

Second off, even though I am a huge, huge Sisters of Mercy fan going all the way back to 1987, I never heard Vision Thing in it's entirety until just yesterday. This requires some explanation, and thus begins my story...

1990. The long awaited new Sisters of Mercy album, "Vision Thing" is out. I'd been enthralled by the majestic "Floodland" for years now. I finally see the CD appear in the record store. But I don't buy it. Why? Well there are several reasons:

#1) I'd read that Tony James was joined Sisters of Mercy, had played on this album, and was touring with them. Now, I absolutely adore Tony James, so you'd think this would be a slam-dunk, right? Wrong!! Even though I was/am a huge Sigue Sigue Sputnik fan, and am a big fan of Tony's work in general, I simply didn't think he was a right "fit" for the band. I wanted the "Floodland" lineup.

#2) Related to #1, seeing as I was a huge SSS fan, the fact that Tony James had joined Sisters of Mercy clearly spelled out the end of Sigue Sigue Sputnik - and this didn't sit well with me.

#3) I just didn't think Vision Thing could live up to Floodland. I didn't think any album could be that good.

Anyway, fast forward to the present: I finally, finally listened to Vision Thing. And I was pretty much blown away by it. I think it "might" be as good as Floodland in it's own way, but there are differences:

Vision Thing is probably a more well-rounded, cohesive album (for the most part). Floodland had some supernatural moments interspersed with moments of mediocrity.

Floodland was truly a grandiose production. The "highs" of Floodland are certainly greater than anything on Vision thing, however Vision thing (again, for the most part) maintains a very high level of quality - mostly throughout the album. It's more even, and again, cohesive.

So, I'm not quite sure if Vision Thing is going to become my favorite Sisters of Mercy album or not. It's too early to tell, and honestly, I can't see it as a whole usurping the majestic production that is Floodland - if you can please respond and weigh in on this and help me to decide, I'd appreciate it.

Meanwhile vote in the poll and tell me what album you like better between the two - and tell me why please.

2. Baba Oh Really

I voted for "Floodland" - but I might change my vote depending on how things go here...

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  3. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Baba, "both equally" should be a part of the poll! That's a tough one, depends on my mood as I go back and forth on them, I'm probably the minority, but I'm leaning towards Vision Thing, I love Something Fast and I Was Wrong :) Fan of Tony James also, so that might be the kicker

4. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Personally, I like them pretty much equally, yet for different reasons. I gave the nod to Vision Thing, however, as that was the album that got me into the band. I'd never really bothered to listen to them before that, and after hearing and falling in love with that album, I became a fan, and worked my way backwards from there.

5. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

I vote for Floodland

For me Floodland wins a big time.
    listen to this album It's like swimming in an ocean of darkness,
    I just love it.

There is dark beauty in the music,
    the drum machines, the guitars , the mesmerizing synth sounds and the deep cold vocals,
    the reverb on the sounds, a masterpiece!

I like a few songs on Vision Thing like Something Fast, Ribbons and Doctor Jeep
    but for me the music less interesting and lacking the atmosphere that I love so much in the band's music.

6. Baba Oh Really

It probably should have been part of the poll, but I'm a real "black and white" kind of guy. I like to go all the way one way or the next. I like things definitive.

c-eling likes this.
  7. Baba Oh Really

Agree with your assessment of Floodland. I think "Detonation Boulevard" is by far the best song from Vision Thing though.

8. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

As an album Floodland is what brought me to the Sisters and remains my go to album.

9. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Yeah, this really gets to the heart of why Floodland is so much better. Vision Thing just doesn't have that atmosphere that makes Floodland (and their earlier work) so compelling, not to mention, the songs just aren't as engaging and the sound is more streamlined.

10. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Floodland has the great Dominion, This Corrosion and Lucretia My Reflection...but Vision Thing is killer from start to finish.

Rocketdog likes this.
  11. Pavol Stromcek

Also, I saw Sisters of Mercy on their Vision Thing tour, and was relieved when they played relatively few songs from that album. A good portion of their set consisted of pre-Vision Thing material, reaching as far back as "Alice" and "Floorshow". It was a seriously good show! The band was really bringing it, too. Although one of the two guitarists - the guy who had previously been in All About Eve, IIRC - was indulging some metal head guitar-god posturing, which left a lot of the goths in the audience a little bemused!

jimhb likes this.
  12. Pavol Stromcek

I'd be interested to see a poll that pits First And Last And Always against Floodland. That might be more of a fair fight!

13. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Some Girls Wander By Mistake has my favorite Sisters material. Floodland is EASILY better than Vision Thing. Baba...did you ever hear the post-Vision song, "Under The Gun" with Berlin's vocalist Teri Nunn?

14. Baba Oh Really

flood land trounces first and last and always there's just no comparison and no need 4 a poll even

Talisman954 likes this.
  15. Pavol Stromcek

Well, see, that's just your opinion. In your mind, yes, Floodland is better. In the minds of many other fans, the debut is better. It's called subjectivity. And I've met an awful lot of people over the years who vastly prefer the debut. I've probably met just as many people who prefer the pre-debut singles to either the debut or Floodland.

And if the results of your poll so far are anything to go by, Floodland appears to be trouncing Vision Thing in the opinions of most people, so I'm wondering if there was really any need for this poll in the first place.

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  16. japes

japes Senior Member

I went with Floodland based on the strength of the singles. Although, I agree that Vision Thing is really solid.

Have to go with First and Last and Always as my favorite overall. I love what Wayne Hussey and Craig Adams contributed to its sound.
    I'm a big fan of the Mission too.

Are we ever going to see a new Sisters album? Its going on 25 years!

Baba Oh Really likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.