Anyone else receive their 1st VNYL subscription LPs package?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FMills, May 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beholdentonoone

Beholdentonoone Forum Resident

I recently joined a similarly themed Mail Order "Club" Vinyl Me Please

http://vinylmeplease.com

3 installments in and I am VERY HAPPY thus far…from what I understand they have over 14,000 subscribers already!!!

Jayseph, rob303 and cjschaefer like this.
  2. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

But it's the sharing economy, man! Kickstarter/Uber/AirBnB/etc are just facilitating sharing between ordinary folks! It's so disruptive and twee and progressive and awesome!!!

And obscenely wealthy venture capitalists and Wall Street parasites are laughing all the way to the bank (that's too big to fail).

Matheusms, fluffskul, spindly and 4 others like this.
  3. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

I actually confused Vinyl Me with VYNL when I first clicked the link. Im a little tempted by the Vinyl Me subscription.

4. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

Just commenting so I can follow along as this develops ;)

5. Beholdentonoone

Beholdentonoone Forum Resident

DO NOT confuse VYNL with Vinyl Me Please…My very 1st purchase from Vinyl Me Please was the Dilla album they did for March…well there was a pressing defect in their master and here was the email I and everyone else received immediately…NOW THIS IS WHAT I CALL CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!!

"Hello VMP record guild,

On Tuesday (3/10) we started shipping your J Dilla - 'Donuts' records as fast as our little fingers could manage. We currently have shipped approximately 60% of the March packages and are working as fast as possible to ship the rest.

Before your record arrives, however, we wanted to point out something we noticed prior to shipping - a production defect that somehow made it all the way to us before being discovered.

We heard a "whoosh"
    While giving ‘Donuts’ a final listen prior to shipping we noticed a faint “whoosh” sound on the first two tracks of Side A. We sampled multiple records in hopes that it was an isolated case, but found that while the surface noise varied in intensity from copy to copy, it was nonetheless noticeable on the majority of the records we pulled.

Since we'd been assured by the plant & our production partners that our pressing was good to go, this made us pretty angry...like really angry...

[​IMG]

We immediately got together with Stones Throw Records & the pressing plant, rooted out the source of the defect and got about the business of sending you a whoosh-free A/B side of ‘Donuts'.

This defect was caught while the last batch (approx 10% of the total order) was still being pressed -- they were held while the defect was remedied and will be slightly delayed (will be shipping the week of Mar 23rd.)

For those of you not affected by the delay, a replacement disc (A/B side) is being pressed as you read this. It will be shipped to you with your April Vinyl Me, Pleaserecord free of charge. If your membership ends prior to April, your replacement will ship by itself in the same method and timeline as active members.

If you have questions, we've set up a dedicated thread regarding this issue at the VMP Forum.

We've been doing this for just over two years now and have noticed that delays and production mistakes are widely accepted in the record industry as just a part of doing business - we think think this is a weak excuse. We're doing our part to improve things as we believe you deserve the best possible pressing of each album we send and we won’t stop working until you have it.

Baking donuts,

The Vinyl Me, Please Team"

Simply AWESOME in my opinion….You would think Capitol US would have proofed the Beatles Stereo Vinyl Box masters before shipping out so many defective copies...

Matheusms, Jrr, Dino and 8 others like this.
  6. J Vanarsdale

J Vanarsdale Forum Resident

I haven't been to the store, but I highly doubt Rick Rubin was in there. I can pretty much guarantee you that they will have very high prices on mediocre used vinyl. I shop in LA record stores all the time, and there's been an influx, since the "vinyl resurgence", of stores popping up run by hipsters selling records for $20 that are used, 70s rock, not bagged, and usually available elsewhere for $6 to $10. Maybe I'm wrong, we'll see...

patient_ot likes this.
  7. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

What the h**l does hand-curated mean anyway, you think you might know what i like? Geeze, i had aunts who would buy me albums for my birthday in the sixties. Can't tell you how much i loved getting Glen Campbell albums when i wanted The Doors.
    The goal is not aquiring a vinyl collection but getting music you like.
    Never thought Kickstarter was a good idea, i see no point as to why I should fund your business venture. If you believe in what you want to do, go out raise the capital, bring it to market, and if i like what i see i'll buy it.

StephenDedalus and hidden1one like this.
  8. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

it means some dope, who doesn't know you from a hole in the wall, pulls a bunch of crap randomly from a crate.

patient_ot, noyoucmon and Gaslight like this.
  9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Suckers are still born every minute, I guess.

These albums are easily available for pennies in any used bin.

That Leon & Mary Russell album isn't one you'd select for ANYONE except someone who's indicated they are a big Leon Russell fan.

Looks like the way this club will make money is buy shipping albums that they get for only a few cents each. That way, even with shipping, they make money.

patient_ot likes this.
  10. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Well, they were hand curated.

As in they put their hands in the dollar bin, and pulled out three LP's for you. :cry:

Bowieboy, kman, noyoucmon and 3 others like this.
  11. Kristeva

Kristeva Forum Resident

I'm still mesmerized by the sheer audacity of the those involved. It's the most brilliant yet stupid idea ever - start a vinyl subscription website and then fob them off with the kind of vinyl you couldn't pay people to take away from thrift store, lol. I guess they were hoping the majority of their customers would come from the new-to-vinyl hipster demographic. The kind of people who haven't worked out yet that there's ways of sourcing cheap vinyl from thrift stores, boot sales, etc. The kind of people who get caught up in the RSD hype - but even then the majority of people who take part in RSD are knowledgeable, serious and sensible collectors.

I just can't see who would fall for this ****

lightbulb likes this.
  12. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

At least this scam is now getting wide attention.

Last edited: May 14, 2015
    hidden1one likes this.
  13. Buddy>Elvis

Buddy>Elvis Senior Member

It must be hilarious being a "hand curator" there.

"Hey Cletus, we got ourselves another #feelingmetal, pass me another Nana Mouskouri"

kingrommel, agundy, IpseDixit and 3 others like this.
  14. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

Weirdly, I don't think he's running a scam. I actually feel for the guy. I just think he's in over his head. He obviously enjoys the concept / creative side more than the actual (and boring) logistical side....He'd be better off returning the money....And he's incredibly naive thinking he could send out Pablo Cruise and Steppenwolf to hipster-Kickstarters and that would suffice...But I don't think he set out to scam people - he's just clasping for air...

Bowieboy and lightbulb like this.
  15. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

I'm not sure if that was his intention but he's definitely a con artist now!

Looking back on his social media blitz, I do think he expected to make more that $36K as a legitimate businessperson. And now he looks like a complete tool. He got quite a bit of decent press for a few weeks there.

Should have pulled the plug when he discovered his shaky at best lynchpin service idea was illegal. This is of course assuming he had the stock available to mail out decent records with the option to return. I believe the original fee was just for rental with "option to buy" but now he is stuck sending 3 records plus shipping for $25 or whatever. Of course he mails crappy dross.

Idiot.

16. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

What you are all missing is the fact that these are all HOT STAMPERS!

They are not dollar bin records, each of these is worth at least $100 and it's a complete bargain.

I think.

;)

Gavinyl, Jrr, turnersmemo and 18 others like this.
  17. Blender

Blender Forum Resident

So let me get this straight.

This guy raises a bunch of money on Kickstarter. Uses that money to purchase used records in bulk. Pulls the gems from his bulk record stash to seed the inventory of his new brick-and-mortar store and then pawns off the crap in $25 sets of three through the subscription service.

Does that sound about right?

Jrr, nbakid2000, patient_ot and 6 others like this.
  18. FlatulentDonkey

FlatulentDonkey Forum Resident

19. Arkay_East

Yes. Yes it does.

hidden1one likes this.
  20. Blender

Blender Forum Resident

That's Wall Street level evil.

SuntoryTime likes this.
  21. Arkay_East

Yup. Although I don't get the impression this dude has the wherewithal to be an evil supergenius.

Blender likes this.
  22. Kristeva

Kristeva Forum Resident

Somehow I think there's an element of truth in what you say. I was thinking about it again on my way to work this morning - what's occurred is so unbelievable I have to think he actually set out with good intentions somewhere along the line. Maybe it was sheer naivety, maybe he's only just started collecting/selling vinyl. I guess I take it for granted that I grew up in the age of vinyl and that I understand about things like 1st pressings, what's desirable and what isn't, how to set up a TT, etc.

I used to work as a printer in the 90's and every now and then a young rich kid would walk in bold as brass with flash cameras and film to process. They'd decided the wanted to start a career as a photographer often without any real training or hands on experience. Once you got to know them you realized their naivety was breathtaking but it was just the exuberance of youth. I was probably like that once, I think.

Chip Z and lightbulb like this.
  23. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Great idea - I have thousands of lame records that no one bought in our store for 20+ years... and we couldn't give away for free.... :o

24. danner

danner Forum Resident

I definitely think he got himself into a corner and didn't know how to get himself out of it. The ethical thing to do would have been to refund people's money once he realized his original business model was impossible. Trying to save face by unloading dollar bin records with cute hashtags isn't the way to correct the situation.

lightbulb likes this.
  25. Arkay_East

Agreed. By continuing to propagate such a huge swindle, he has lost all possibility of saving face. He's officially a d*****bag

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.