Anyone else receive their 1st VNYL subscription LPs package?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FMills, May 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Spin.

2. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

Yeah! #vibes!

patient_ot, Kristeva and noyoucmon like this.
  3. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

People who signed up without planning on writing about it at their job (Fred Mills) clearly didn't think it through. Shipping is $5. Overhead's gotta be $5 if not way more (buying, storing, packing, doing inventory, corresponding with customers etc). The guy's gotta eat, so that's another $5. Even 15 years ago it was hard to walk into a store and get three half decent used records for the nine bucks that's left. I mean, I got some real gems to be sure but that's not really possible now unless you want forgotten genres and/or don't care about condition.

Funny thing is last time I stepped in Urban Outfitters in the village (to see if they had markdown LPs) they were selling crap like this at $5-$10.

When you add the fact he's opening a store, it seems pretty clear that he scammed everyone to get decent stock for his store and pawned all the crap off on subscribers.

I do think there is a legal case against him, as the records he sent can pretty much be shown to both be of no value and of no relation to the tastes of his customers. Good luck collecting, though.

And his store is in trouble. It will be victimized by vandalism if he stays open. If he was smart he would give every subscriber a part refund of all the money he's got left, sell off the inventory of his store, and never do anything public in the record business again.

If this is a performance art project, then hat's off, dude.

4. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

If so, this is some Andy Kaufman level Godlike f***ery. I would be most impressed. But I doubt it.

havenz, Kristeva and noyoucmon like this.
  5. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

Well done, Fred!

The more I read about this thing, the more I'm convinced these guys are trolling people.
    This smells more & more like a deliberate & orchestrated rip off.

6. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

When did it become fashionable to toss this word around? I see it all the time now. I don't remember seeing it at all just a couple of years ago.

7. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Curating comments on the web, it appears that this is a relatively modern phenomenon.

troggy likes this.
  8. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Yeah, this ought to be obvious but maybe it's not. I'm a vinyl lover. I've dug through thousands and thousands of albums and 45s at flea markets, thrift shops and antique malls, not to mention record stores and conventions. In my experience, the vast majority of vinyl is not worthwhile. Only a tiny percentage is desirable.

9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Those who are clueless about vinyl but have an interest in vinyl usually assume the releases from certain superstar acts are desirable, e.g. Beatles, Stones, Led Zep, etc. They do not believe that any release by anyone is desirable.

For example, the release by Leon and Mary Russel that someone got is probably considered desirable by exactly 0 people in the world. I'm sure there are a few Leon Russel fans who like it. But they also know it's common as dirt. The Johnny-come-latelys to the vinyl world couldn't be bothered.

10. noyoucmon

noyoucmon Forum Resident

Not to mention that everything is artisanal these days. Spin some vintage artisanal hand-curated wax, bro!

11. noyoucmon

noyoucmon Forum Resident

Once new collectors learn this, the better off they will be. When I was a little kid I fantasized about owning every album ever made. Now I wouldn't take 10 out of every 100 I see.

geo50000 likes this.
  12. noyoucmon

noyoucmon Forum Resident

VNYL strikes me as a bunch of kids playing house, only instead of "house" it's "record store."

Gumboo likes this.
  13. noyoucmon

noyoucmon Forum Resident

His store's in Venice, California. Rent will drive him out before anything else.

Brudy likes this.
  14. noyoucmon

noyoucmon Forum Resident

Oh, some do. I see them every weekend at my local record stores.

15. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

You may be right.

I still can't stop laughing at the thought of someone signing up for this and winding up with a Pablo Cruise album. That's almost the perfect swindle.

Michael Ries, Gumboo, Brudy and 4 others like this.
  16. noyoucmon

noyoucmon Forum Resident

Yeah, all I had to read was Pablo Cruise and I knew this whole thing was rooted in complete cluelessness. Pablo Cruise is practically synonymous with bargain bin.

17. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I'm considering a "CmpctDsc" startup, where i'll hand-curate "cool" selections from my vast library (and the dollar bin at Half-Price Books), based on my assessment of your hashtags and personal style.

There is no reason us Gen-X'ers can't take advantage of the "sharing" economy as well.

Chip Z, StephenDedalus and hidden1one like this.
  18. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

You'll need to figure out the CD equivalent of a Pablo Cruise album.

19. DreadPikathulhu

REM's Monster.

20. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I expect he'd be sending out a lot of copies of REM's Monster.

KDubATX likes this.
  21. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I thought about that one but at least REM is a well respected band.

Larry Loves LPs likes this.
  22. DreadPikathulhu

Chumbawumba's Tubthumper.

23. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

This actually could've been a fun concept if it were cheaper, and more honest.
    You could join the "Spin-Some-S#!t Record Club".
    For, say, $6 per month you would receive 3 thrift store specials at random.
    Over the course of a year you might receive 10 out of 36 records that you actually might like, (or at least enjoy making fun of) and it's a wash.

24. danner

danner Forum Resident

I think it's funny that now whenever I pull up Facebook there's a big VNYL ad on the side. #vibe indeed!

25. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The problem is that it would cost over $4 to ship three records, including packaging.

The records they're shipping aren't even worth 3/$4.

geo50000 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.