Anyone else receive their 1st VNYL subscription LPs package?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FMills, May 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

Kinda like this:
    [​IMG]

Kristeva and geo50000 like this.
  2. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

True, but if the seller bought in bulk (which VNYL probably did) , they probably only paid maybe .25 cents each.

3. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

It's the same model that Amazon sellers use when they sell a CD for $.01 plus $3.99 shipping.

4. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

It's the age-old birthday present dilemma. If somebody tries to buy something you actually want, 90% of the time they're either going to be spectacularly wrong or will choose something you already have. If anybody is determined to buy me music, the best results come from me telling them: "don't try to please me; try to surprise me."

The thing that's so hilarious about the VNYL scam is that every batch of 'hand-curated' records we've seen so far has included at least one (and up to three) absolutely notorious bargain-bin barrel-scrapers - the kind of thing anybody who's spent more than a couple of hours in a record store will have passed over with a shudder multiple times. If he knows anything at all about music, there's no way the guy behind this scam doesn't know exactly what he's doing: offloading unsaleable trash to rubes for a premium. I'm kind of fascinated to see whether they can come up with a 'perfect storm' triptych of 50c bin awfulness: what, in your opinion, would be the quintessential VNYL three-disc selection (don't worry about conforming to any genre, as they clearly don't). Similarly, maybe somebody actually did randomly receive three genuinely fantastic, unfairly overlooked albums.

In good news, I'm a proud Numero Group subscriber, and their model is hard to fault. They have a very diverse catalogue (soul, folk, lounge, prog, salsa, funk, punk, ambient, hardcore, rock, metal, soft rock, hip hop, indie rock - and that's just what I can recall from the last year), but it's extremely intelligently curated (they compile archival collections base on artists, labels, genres and regions) and every release is various shades of intriguing, so I'm happy to just go with the flow. But you can also calibrate what they send you by format (e.g. vinyl only) and you're informed in advance about every release and can decline any or all of them.

5. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Let me take this one step further. I have over the course of my lifetime put together a rather sizable record collection. I've spent decades digging, cadging, begging, and (to borrow a thought from my hero R. Crumb) stealing to get to that point. I think I know something about records. Yet over the last couple of years, at almost every house/garage sale/thrift store where I've inquired about records, I get to hear from the "I decorate at Pottery Barn" crowd (and I apologize in advance for that comment) about how vinyl is coming back, and sure I have a few, and yes, I really DO want $10 apiece for them. The first hundred times or so I tried to educate a little. I've now given up. I smile and get the hell out of there. They are the smartest guys in the room and it doesn't pay to try and change that. So yes, those people are out there. In droves. Maybe our Kickstarter manipulator is one of them.

6. Kristeva

Kristeva Forum Resident

I decided to wander over to the vnyl twitter account and boy you're not wrong. Despite it's obvious benefits I've just been reminded of several more reasons to hate the internet - self generated fake PR and positive feedback, and just the fact that most kids under the age of 25 will look at something like that and think it actually constitutes a business - lots of instagram photos (often with old school vintage photography effects) with cool dudes and chicks pulling faces, holding vinyl records (usually outside a club or bar), overflowing with natty, abbreviated, saccharine comments. In the good old days if you were small business start up you actually had to go outside your front door and tout for work/clients by pressing some flesh. I bet 95% of vnyl was constituted on an apple laptop using the wifi in starbucks.

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  7. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I'm not sure that I could top Pablo Cruise, England Dan & John Ford Coley and Lionel Ritchie.

Jrr, turnersmemo, patient_ot and 2 others like this.
  8. Kristeva

Kristeva Forum Resident

wrestled straight out the art world - in the same way advertising uses fine art renaissance painting to lend gravity to their modern s h i t products

9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Well, if we're going to go for the gold, then even if you were going to use those artists to represent the trifecta, that's the wrong Pablo Cruise album. Part of the Game, which followed Worlds Away, was the biggest cutout bin dump of their career--way overpressed, not very good, and the beginning of the end for them commercially.

10. Kristeva

Kristeva Forum Resident

Like many on here this challenge should be right up my street but despite trawling thrift stores almost every other day and wincing at gleaming t u rds staring back at me from those dusty old boxes I can't for the life of me remember any of the titles - in the interests of cognitive self preservation I think the horror of it all has caused some kind of random memory scrape

11. Rudi

Rudi Forum Resident

Don’t you know those bands were all heavily influenced by Lionel Richie? He was an indie electronic dreampop pioneer. It all starts with Lionel. :winkgrin:

12. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Was that the one with "Cool Love" on it?

13. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

the culinary world, too (and by extension wines and drinks). and for as obnoxious as are titles like "sommelier" and "mixologist," at least there's actual training involved. music "curation" is a way of lending gravity to a person who's not really doing anything and doesn't really know how to do anything.

Kristeva likes this.
  14. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

No, "Cool Love" was on Reflector, which came a couple of years later and was even more of a commercial dog.

Part of the Game is this one. Anyone who recalls the cutout bins will remember it well...

[​IMG]

15. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

But that's a lot of startups these days - you need that component (depending upon your business) in order to succeed. Brick and Mortar can be pricey proposition, or even a losing one. Why do a storefront if you can sell stuff successfully via the internet?

Kristeva likes this.
  16. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

This album cover should be the logo for the entire enterprise.

17. Kristeva

Kristeva Forum Resident

now it all makes sense! lol

18. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

If so, then the smirking guy second from the left must be the CEO.

StephenDedalus likes this.
  19. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

Totally not defending VYNL in the slightest, but music curation is basically in depth knowledge. If you've heard a really good DJ, that can be eye opening. And ****, if you can turn knowledge of music (or art or whatever) into a job, why not?

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  20. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I agree in loose terms, that in certain circumstances, something like this could be called curation. Selecting three bargain bin cutouts at random doesn't seem to fit those circumstances though, unless maybe your goal is belly laughs.

21. Kristeva

Kristeva Forum Resident

some here might consider this waaaaay to good for vnyl and its dopey subscribers, but you see a truck load of these in UK thrift stores:

[​IMG]

patient_ot likes this.
  22. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I'm going to give the perfect trio of dollar bin albums some thought. I have to admit though, they've already set the bar really high.

23. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I've seen that album in bins for over 30 years, and that guy always bugged me.

noyoucmon likes this.
  24. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

What's the title of the Orleans album where they all have their shirts off? That might be a good one to throw in a three pack.

25. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

While the cover is atrocious, it's not quite common enough in the used bins to be suitable for this purpose.

[​IMG]

Kristeva likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.