Joy Division. 2015 RHINO Anniversary vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimhb, May 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident Thread Starter

Looks like Substance is finally getting reissued on vinyl by Rhino in June (the others are just represses):

To celebrate the 35th anniversary of “Love Will Tear Us Apart” on June 27th, Rhino are pleased to announce the re-issue of four iconic Joy Division releases on heavyweight 180-gram vinyl.

The studio albums UNKNOWN PLEASURES (1979) and CLOSER (1980) will be available on June 29th. They will be followed on July 24th by STILL (1981) and an expanded version of SUBSTANCE (1988), both available as a double-LP set.

Each design replicates the original in painstaking detail, including the gatefold covers used for Still and Substance. The music heard on the albums was remastered in 2007 when Rhino introduced expanded versions of the albums. The lone exception is Substance, which features audio remastered in 2010 for the +- singles box and for the first time on vinyl, the expanded tracklist from the original CD release, plus two additional songs: “As You Said” and the Pennine version of “Love Will Tear Us Apart.”

https://www.facebook.com/JoyDivisio...0363.122660121101711/1002060269828354/?type=1

http://www.thestereoboutique.com/eu/s/joy-division

2. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

Pretty psyched for Substance. The original version I have is a single lp lacking the extra tracks that were on the cassette. This is a pretty big deal.

3. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Very interested in these!

Shak Cohen likes this.
  4. MattG

MattG Unreliable Narrator

Will have to keep my eyes peeled for Amazon pre-orders of Substance & Still.

5. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

I picked up the previous vinyl reissue of Unknown Pleasures, and it featured the same limited dynamic range as the deluxe CD reissue. A pity because the packaging and artwork are very nice. Hopefully they master these differently.

marcfeld69 and Dino like this.
  6. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Wouldn't mind getting these..

7. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I hope Still still has the one missing song from the cd.

karlm likes this.
  8. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

That's the Rhino lp you picked up?cwd

9. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Re-read the press release: UP, Closer, and Still are all represses of the 2007 vinyl masterings. Only Substance is new, since it's the first time the full album has been pressed on vinyl.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  10. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I'll probably at least pick up Substance. Glad they're finally releasing the full track list on vinyl.

11. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

Pre-orders are up on amazon.co.uk.

12. spartanmanor

spartanmanor Forum Resident

I am in for Substance.

13. floweringtoilet

Yes.

14. JustinBond

JustinBond Forum Resident

Have you compared it to other vinyl issues? The Rhino reissue is what I have based on favorable reviews here and I thought it sounded good, but not amazing. I've never compared it to other pressings though. Not about to drop the metric ton of dimes it would cost for a Porky cut.

15. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Honestly I never took Unknown Pleasures to be a very "hi-fi" recording to begin with, so I'm not sure how much can be squeezed out of it.

16. floweringtoilet

I have the FACTUS version as well and it's better. Much more dynamic.

vonwegen and Dino like this.
  17. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

the 2007 US Rhino reissues are excellent sounding. certainly a lot better than my original Aussie pressings. can't comment re original UK pressings.

That is good news they are not fcuking with these and re-pressing. The last thing any music lover would want is mastered from digital version.

Double album Substance will be interesting - sounds like it will be digital based on the 2010 digital release?

Vinyl Fan 1973 and ultron9 like this.
  18. JustinBond

JustinBond Forum Resident

This reissue from 1987? Did you buy the Rhino remaster because you thought the FACTUS was lacking in some way, or is it just beat up?

edit: nvm, I see there are several "FACTUS" releases.

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  19. robertk

robertk Forum Resident

Save your money on the vinyl. Unknown Pleasures would have to improve to hit mediocre.

Go out and buy the originals and get the imports.

New icing on 3 week old cake is what you're getting buying the Rhino stuff.

kwadguy and Hi Five like this.
  20. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Nothing wrong with the 2007 vinyl reissue of Unknown Pleasures, IMO it sounds fine.

ultron9 likes this.
  21. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

All the 2007 pressings of Closer my local shop had seemed to be off-center, which pretty much rendered them unlistenable.

22. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

Unknown Pleasures was off-center too.

I remember when these came out in 2007 and the rumor was they were remastered by Steve Hoffman. That info was sort of incorrect.

23. floweringtoilet

It's from 1980. It's this one. I picked up the Rhino reissue because my older copy is only VG+, and I found the reissue in a Hot Topic for really cheap. The reissue does not sound bad, but it's definitely dynamically compressed compared to my earlier pressing.

24. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

No issues on my 07 Rhino Closer, sounds good, Substance is interesting, love the sound on my old US Quest disc, I'll wait for reviews once released :)

ultron9 and JeffMo like this.
  25. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Can we get NO Substance on vinyl next? Please?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.