Stan Cornyn RIP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by paulmock, May 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I'm wondering: if he was in charge of Warner New Media in the '90's, does that mean he was the one who 'green-lit' the Inscape CD-ROM's from The Residents & DEVO?

2. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

While searching to find something different to say than the "RIP"s and "Buy 'Exploding' " comments(but still do this 'cause it is the best book about the modern music biz, ever)I was thinking that tomorrow night,AMC's groundbreaking TV series,MadMen,comes to a conclusion,chronicling the fictional tale of an ad agency from 1959 to 1970. The folks involved pretty much went from worst to first(assuming the eventual buyout,while frought with negatives,at least was a financial success). Not unlike Warner/Reprise,and,eventually,WEA. And what better soundtrack than a label which started the 1960s as the home to faceless lounge LPs,then Peter,Paul & Mary, the Sinatras,both Frank & Nancy,Bill Cosby and eventually Neil Young and the Grateful Dead. And through it all-Stan Cornyn,narrating much of this via liner notes. For telling long,strange trips,Cornyn was one great storyteller. A major reason why Warner could be both the biggest and the coolest label at the same time. So if you're tuning in tomorrow night to see where the MadMen storyline leaves us,think of Stan and how he would have summed it all up. As for the adventures of the real life Warner record business,they were just starting Act Two.

vince and Bob F like this.
  3. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Stan's liner notes on those Sinatra albums made it seem like we always had a "friend" on the inside for us.

4. Bob Belvedere

Bob Belvedere Forum Resident

Dudley Morris likes this.
  5. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident Thread Starter

Can't open it on iPad my friend.:cry:

6. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Very sad news , another link to a bygone age leave us.

Peace and love✌

7. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

Bob Belvedere likes this.
  8. I like the closing para:

"I still love it when I'm browsing old record stores, flip over the LP, and find Cornyn on the other side. Very few people can say they're the best in the world at what they do. But Stan Cornyn was. It would be a fitting tribute if the stonemasons made his gravestone with the epitaph chiseled on the back. Rest in peace."

Beaneydave and Bob Belvedere like this.
  9. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

The first thing I ever read of his were the liner notes to SINATRA AT THE SANDS, after I bought the CD while living in England. Very hip. Occasionally, someone tries to write in his style but it never really works - I suppose that's where the word 'original' means something...that's not often nowadays, it seems.

Bob Belvedere likes this.
  10. Bob Belvedere

Bob Belvedere Forum Resident

Last edited: May 17, 2015
    John B Good likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.