Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #70)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing CD18 - Cantatas Nos 54-57 from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The seller's reply was totally unsatisfactory, so I filed a claim with Amazon. I hope I'll get my money back.

George, have you ever returned an item to a private Amazon seller because it turned out to be defective and if so, who paid for the return shipping, you or the seller? In this case it's clearly the seller's fault, so I think they should pay for the return shipping.

3. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

On vinyl. Wow, his violin sounds like the real deal, not some digitized facsimile. Of course, his playing is exquisite.

[​IMG]

ToddBD, Mik, Soulpope and 2 others like this.
  4. coopmv

Perhaps that whole batch had a few defective discs?

5. coopmv

Now playing CD5 from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

ToddBD, Mik and bluemooze like this.
  6. coopmv

I have the CD version of these works. He was one of the best violinists of his generation ...

7. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

What makes you say that? The disc was clearly manhandled.

8. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Was he related to Boris Karloff ? :hide:

9. coopmv

Are there any visible damages to the disc? Even if they are manufacturing defects, the seller should have known since he owned the box. Amazon should be able to resolve the return issue for you.

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  10. coopmv

Some resemblance but no ...

11. coopmv

Now playing CD17 - Schubert Symphones Nos 2 & 4 by the Staatskapelle Dresden from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  12. coopmv

Just popped the enclosed CD-ROM into my computer to have a look. It is a massive CD-ROM with tons of info. Does any of you ever bother with the CD-ROM that comes with a big box?

13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Yes, all sorts of scratches, marks, what have you - too many to mention.

14. coopmv

I have never bought a big box second-hand but had a similar experience when a seller claimed a twofer to be ULN, i.e. used like new but one of the discs has some serious scratches even though it plays fine. The user ended up refunding half of the asking price while I kept the twofer. Yeah, having to pay for that return postage is a royal pain. In your case, returning the box is the only option since a number of the discs are not even playable.

15. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Well, let's see what Amazon's verdict will be. I'll return the box if the seller pays for the return postage. By the way, the only way to get this box is second-hand.

16. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I have filed a number of A to Z claims, all were granted and none did I even have to send back the original product.

17. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

(sorry, my phone is acting up. But my point to Amazon was that I should not be inconvenienced to repack, go wait in the post office for sometimes an hour - all because the seller failed to list the item properly, check it before sending AND then not come to a reasonable decision with me.

J.A.W. likes this.
  18. coopmv

Now playing CD13 - Works of Haydn, Chopin, Rachmaninoff and Ravel from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Mik, bluemooze and J.A.W. like this.
  19. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Listened for the first time last night to Perahia's take on Chopin's Ballades. Some very elegant playing, but I could use more passion.

Stumbled onto a disc of Renaissance music by Ensemble Unicorn (new to me) on Spotify this morning.

Mik, bluemooze and George P like this.
  20. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

:tiphat:
    No Mr Spock

21. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

But back to serious discussion: I am now listening to the Bloch string quartets performed by the Griller String Quartet from the Decca Mono box. Both the ensemble and the material are new to me. Enjoying this immensely. I highly recommend this box set. It contains numerous treasures and the sound is exemplary. I have also been dipping into the new DG 111 Piano box. This box also contains some wonderful performances from a diverse group of DG artists recorded over the years. I had very little of these on LP so I was happy to acquire this collection.

Mik, bluemooze and George P like this.
  22. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Blue Heron singing Dufay (again courtesy of Spotify). This is an absolutely lovely recording. Several years ago, I read a nice review of their work by Alex Ross, and I have been meaning to check them out.

bluemooze likes this.
  23. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Silvius Leopold Weiss – The Complete London Manuscript: CD 2, Sonatas N0s. 4-6 (WeissSW5,7,10)
    — Michel Cardin, baroque lute (Brilliant Classics), from:

[​IMG]

24. drh

drh Talking Machine

Way too nice a day to be serious!

What eating implement has pointy ears? Mr. Spork.

Who has two reeds and a light sabre? Oboe Wan Kenobe.

Why don't we hear more about the classical music scene in Mexico? Seems as if it may well be a lot more advanced than anyone here in the US, at least, suspects.

Oops--raised a serious question after all!

Daedalus likes this.
  25. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Currently spinning...along with my head...my favorite Prokofiev PC #1.

[​IMG]

ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.