Joy Division. 2015 RHINO Anniversary vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimhb, May 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I was going to say grab the original US, but I see prices have skyrocketed on it, geesh, paid 10 bucks for it a few years ago...

2. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Insane!

c-eling likes this.
  3. c-eling

I agree, sq wise and being a DMM press, it may be a digital transfer, my opinion is that's it's not worth those inflated prices (New Order-US Substance) -A redo may be an improvement

4. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

I will say that my original US press of Closer sounds great, and it's even translucent vinyl.

5. Kristeva

Kristeva Forum Resident

There were serious pressing issues with the 2007 version of 'UP' - noisy, warped, off center - this is a good chance for them to get it right this time. I doubt it will have much affect on the insane prices of the originals though.

6. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner.

I'm only interested in Still.

How is the sound quality and pressing of the 2007 Rhino release?

7. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Still in a must buy. Most of the originals I have seen have such a tatty sleeve, that not very inspiring. Not sure why the reissue is £30 on Amazon though and Substance is only £15.......

8. Does it come with the original cloth bound cover? That could account for extra cost.

9. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I just did a sound test on my original factory album of Unknown Pleasures and my 2007 Rhino edition, both are very close sound wise.
    The original has a little more clarity and mid range but not by very much.
    There was nothing wrong with the Rhino edition.
    Very quiet sounding and no issues with the pressing, I would say this is one of the better Rhino vinyl reissues. Rhino 2007 reissues are pressed on heavyweight 180-gram vinyl with original art work.

10. It's Felix

good question. I wonder.

11. SteveCooks

SteveCooks Senior Member

I'm in with th 2 lp substance to end up with my Factory great sounding Lp's. I've given the cd to a friend a long time ago - stupid I know- and that would be nice to hear it the way it is supposed to be sequenced, the 1st Substance Lp was great but too short without those great b-sides. Robert Smith said Joy Division never wrote a bad song and that is true. (He added the same was not applicable to NO but this is also RS).
    Ordered!

12. It's Felix

He is right about New Order. At least in the time after Low Life. I had substance by JD on cassette, I wonder if it is the same track list. I recall that being great.

13. c-eling

I remember ditching my cassette in favor of the cd which include the Appendix extra's, this 2 lp will probably stick with the original track list

14. andres lira

andres lira Forum Resident

Ordered,

Never really listen to the extra tracks, are they any good?

c-eling likes this.
  15. c-eling

B-sides

andres lira likes this.
  16. Hi Five

Hi Five Forum Resident

If it sounds anything like the 2007 remasters I wouldn't take one if they were giving them away.

dynamicalories and Robert C like this.
  17. schelti

schelti Forum Resident

Apart from the fact that the Substance Lp did not have a gatefold cover in 1988 of course.
    (I like gatefolds, so no complaints...)

18. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Yes, I believe the now-OOP 2007 reissue of Still came in a reproduction of the original cloth-bound jacket, and this 2015 repress will as well, hence the higher price compared to the 2xLP of Substance (which will likely just be a normal gatefold jacket).

19. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

Same here, definitely my "go to" for listening to UP when at home although the 1989 Qwest disc has a great range if it sounds just a tad flat on the surface.

20. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

To your knowledge, were they ever fixed? I gave up on my originals, I bought them used and they had issues so I got the Rhino discs and didn't really sense a problem but it's hard to listen when mimicking the seizure dance...............when no one is looking of course.

21. c-eling

Cool, it appears the Substance re-issues on cd and lp will be expanded :cheers:

JeffMo likes this.
  22. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

Originals are hard to find in decent condition. Today I found a trashed Unknown Pleasures vinyl copy for 30€. I skipped it. Reissues don't match originals. I'll stay with my cds unless there is a stright from the analog master vinyl reissue/

Paully and mooseman like this.
  23. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I got NO's Substance first and I'll never forget my shock at hearing JD's a couple years later. I freely admit that it took several years for me to warm up to Ian's voice, the overall darkness of the material, and the almost garage band lofi production on some of the early work.

24. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

What albums does one need in order to get all of Joy Division's studio recordings? (Won't get in to the plethora of live bootlegs and radio sessions.) Do these cover most of it?

Unknown Pleasures
    Closer
    Still
    Substance

25. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I'm pretty sure that gets you 99% there - might be a couple of alternate single versions and there is at least one b-side still awol (see the thread on SHF about this).

Heart and Soul boxset rounds all this up on cd.

mooseman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.