Kamasi Washington - The Epic - New West Coast Spiritual Jazz

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mgb70, Apr 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member Thread Starter

I've heard a few tracks from Kamasi Washington's upcoming 171 minute, 3 disc album, The Epic and am super excited. It's on Flying Lotus's Brainfeeder label and expected out May 5, 2015. It includes a 32-piece orchestra and a 20-person choir.

From the Aquarium Drunkard music blog, "Check out the 14-minute first taste, “Re Run Home.” With its soaring reeds, slinky bass and afrobeat percussion, you’ll want to strap in for this one."

2. LavidDange

LavidDange Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing. My ears have been hunting for sounds like these.

Athalwolf likes this.
  3. JakeM

JakeM Senior Member

Big thanks from me as well. I preordered the 24-bit wave files.

4. mantis4tons

mantis4tons Forum Resident

5. mantis4tons

mantis4tons Forum Resident

The more time I spend with this album, the more it blows me away. Definitely album of the year contender for me. Has anyone else heard it? What do you guys think?

e.s. likes this.
  6. JakeM

JakeM Senior Member

I've listened to about half of it so far and what I've heard is outstanding. Looking forward to listening to the rest. I don't think I'll be disappointed.

7. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I preordered this album on spec because I liked the idea of it. Nothing in that youtube extract makes me want to cancel. :cool:

8. Steve626

Steve626 Forum Resident

I've just listened to the first few songs and am blown away - what an amazing work this is. I would have never known about this without the Forum - one of the reasons that I love hanging around this place. I agree that The Epic is a contender for album of the year - spiritual, yet accessible.

crimsun likes this.
  9. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I like it alright. Im not sure that its something groundbreaking though.

What exactly is the new west coast spiritual jazz genre?

Not trying to be difficult or contrary. Someone says "cool jazz" and "hard bob" I can immediately hear the difference.

What is it that makes this as the persons having something to say?

10. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Just listening to this today after stumbling across the P4k review. Gosh, how is this so consistently good for over 170 minutes? I'll be soaking this up for awhile.

noname74 likes this.
  11. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Love the clips I've hear so this will definitely be one to buy.

12. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

From what I have read I reckon I need this album. I just stumbled on it on itunes & its MFiT too.

13. Uncle_Meat

Uncle_Meat Forum Resident

This is a very strong record that makes me grin from ear to ear on each listen. A firm favourite for life!

14. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Received my copy today, although I've been listening on Autorip for a couple of days. I'm surprised that this thread hasn't received more traction since - in terms of big album career "arrivals" this would seem to be one of the most prominent Jazz releases for some years.

15. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member Thread Starter

The physical CD copy was hard to find - Amazon was out and my local indie didn't have it, despite stocking lots of Flying Lotus, Kendrick Lamarr, Thundercat, etc. This one is really flying under the radar. I was so jazzed to hear it, I bought the download when it was released on iTunes until my special order arrived (yesterday) at my local indie. It the best new jazz album I've heard, ever.

16. serendipitydawg

serendipitydawg Dag nabbit!

To the OP: thanks ever so much for posting this. Within approximately a minute I had searched Tidal, found it and was listening to The Epic in all its splendour.

At places I half expected Marvin Gaye to start singing !

17. David67

David67 Forum Resident

Pre ordered this on Amazon and today enjoyed listening to the first volume. Now looking forward to the next two discs in this triple release.

18. I've heard a lot of great things about this release since last week. Just downloaded it from iTunes. Looking forward to hearing it.

19. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

I have to surmise that many of the folks commenting here are not greatly familiar with jazz. This is nice, but not anywhere groundbreaking/innovative/different. It has a mid-70s vibe to my ears, from the Mwandishi/Julian Priester/Eddie Henderson/ Lonnie Liston Smith etc style.

20. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Well, yes, but how much music like this is being made today? The economics of these sort of bands has shifted and what large bands there seem to be more along Lincoln Center lines. It's hardly surprising that an album such as this would feel like a breath of fresh air. I don't think anyone in this thread is saying that it's groundbreaking or innovative.

e.s., ConnieGuitar, Electric and 3 others like this.
  21. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

It might feel like a breath of fresh air, but it's decidedly retro music.
    Agreed about the economics, doing a disc with all the additional personnel is almost impossible these days.

22. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

You are absolutely correct. BUT it is well done and accessible, which is more than (in this non-musician and "jazz" lover's opinion) is more than can be said for a lot of "new" jazz on the market.

Seriously, much of these "young lions" music is very good but takes a lot of effort to digest. This effort (and many of the Smoke Session releases) is like a breathe of fresh air.

mschrist likes this.
  23. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

NPR will be streaming the entire 3-hour record release concert that happened earlier this month in LA on Wednesday at 9pm EST.

Check it out HERE

Hiro likes this.
  24. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops

Just grabbed my copy and am looking forward to digesting the entire thing when I've got some time. The buzz has been exceptional so far.

25. SirNoseDVoid

SirNoseDVoid Forum Resident

I like this album as well, some of it reminds me of 70s jazz on the Strata-East or Black Jazz labels... nothing groundbreaking here, but good stuff nonetheless.

e.s. and drasil like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.