Recommended vinyl version of OSCAR PETERSON's "We Get Requests?"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by James_S888, Jul 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident Thread Starter

What is the recommended vinyl version of Oscar Petersons "we get requests"? there are a nimber of vinyl versions around, analogue productions, speakers corner, etc.
    I'm not keen on an original on this title because of the usually crappy verve vinyl, the 45 rpm means getting up every 10 mins which wears a litle thin and Speakers Corner is too often tape copies.
    Favorite version of this?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2019
  2. watchnerd

watchnerd Forum Resident

Given that it was originally recorded on tape, I'm not sure what you're implying is wrong with tape copies...:confused:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2019
  3. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I don't mind getting up every 10 minutes so the 45 rpm is my personal choice.

FashionBoy likes this.
  4. Defdum&blind

Defdum&blind Forum Resident

A reissue from the 80's M1J-1-5321 is part a series called "The Original Jazz Classics" is a Canadian pressing that was mastered in Canada sounds "tubey" to me. There should be a US counterpart.

5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

UK, West German, or Japanese original LP is best vinyl pressing. Similar sounding to US originals. The Canadian 1980's reissue slays most US 1970's copies. It sounds tubey because it was mastered on tubes.

6. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Cool, thanks.
    I think I'll get the recent Analogue Productions 45 rpm, becasue apparently George Marino got original three track masters for this one plus the Speakers Corner reissue. Which is supposed to be quite good.

I picked up the SACD on a whim a while ago, put it in the player over the weekend and went "Wow". Gotta get the real thing now.

7. CARPEYOLO

CARPEYOLO Forum Resident

Any other input on this? I'm in the market and don't want the AP 45s because I'm lazy.

8. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

I'd welcome further opinions on 33 rpm versions as well. Great album.

9. CARPEYOLO

CARPEYOLO Forum Resident

I purchased the speakers corner 33. Sounds really good.

wwright likes this.
  10. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

Thanks. I heard the original US Verve a few days ago. Sounded really beautiful but the vinyl itself was a bit well-worn - I was hoping one of the modern reissues would be close in sound quality. I'll check it out.

11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Reopened by request. I'll get the thread title fixed. The two track was thrown out in the 1990s, all later versions are made from a new mix. The original Verve CD issue from the late 1980s mastered by Dennis Drake was made from the original stereo mix. This is the version I have. Cost $2.00.

ausamerika and OobuJoobu like this.
  12. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Thanks Steve for reopening.

I'm looking at a version on Amazon currently, Decca records, released May 2019, anyone have any info on whether this is a good version please? https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07NMHSBBY

13. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I have a WG Verve black label, Drake mastered CD of this. My post-it note inside says “double bass on ‘You Look Good To Me.’”

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  14. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Again reopened.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.