Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

:laugh:

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

He was right, the SQ of the 1954 recording is decent ...

3. coopmv

Now playing CD58 - Bach Brandenburg Concertos 4 - 6 by Tafelmusik/Jeanne Lamon for a perfunctory first listen ...

[​IMG]

2 More CD's to go.

Bigbudukks, PH416156 and bluemooze like this.
  4. coopmv

Schwarzkopf was great in her soprano role and certainly was the soprano of the century IMO ...

5. coopmv

Time for some ballet music, now playing the following LP from my Tchaikovsky collection ...

[​IMG]

Vinylfindco, ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
  6. drh

drh Talking Machine

No, Shake It Off. ;)

Actually, at my daughter's event today I was treated to yet another outing of that omnipresent ditty.

"Shake, shake, shake, shake," that's what I say!
    :hurl:

But turning to more pleasant matters, last night I paid another of my "old friend" visits to Schnabel's accounts of two Bach toccatas, one in C Minor and one in D Major. A couple of years back, my wife treated me to a "The Great Courses" set about the Beethoven piano stas., and the instructor made a point of Beethoven's musical kinship to Bach. Coming to the Schnabel set for the first time since, that kinship was readily apparent, at least to my ears. Something that hadn't occurred to me before.

Robin L, bluemooze and George P like this.
  7. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Bach - Partitas Nos. 2 & 3/Sonata No. 3" performed by Hilary Hahn on Sony.

[​IMG]

john greenwood likes this.
  8. coopmv

Time for some early music, now playing the following CD from my Early Music collection ...

[​IMG]

ToddBD, Fastnbulbous and bluemooze like this.
  9. coopmv

More early music, now playing the following CD from my Tallis collection for a second listen ...

[​IMG]

10. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I was actually referring to Tosca, I think Callas would give Schwarzkopf a run for the money though.

11. john greenwood

Britten conducting Britten. The War Requiem.

Mik and ToddBD like this.
  12. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

This recent arrival brings back happy memories from the past, as it was one of my first Bach purchases. The sound was stunning when it was first released, and it still sounds great today. I also prefer I Musici's use of modern instruments and tasteful vibrato as opposed to "HIP" performances, if they even are all that well "informed"!

[​IMG]

(My actual cover is in mint condition.)

13. coopmv

Next to be on the platter, the following LP from my early baroque collection ...

[​IMG]

14. coopmv

Callas was largely known for her operas while Schwarzkopf had a much wider repertories, from lieder to oratorio to Bach passion. I don't even know offhand if I have any operas by Callas in my LP collection. I only have operas on CD for Wagner and Handel ...

15. coopmv

This record could use some flattening ...

16. john greenwood

Here is the verdict of EMI, their record label. :winkgrin:

[​IMG]

17. coopmv

I have had this twofer for thirty years and the LP's are in pristine condition. Personally, they are my least favorite Brandenburg Concertos since they don't sound German enough and perhaps sound too warm to my ears. It seems like I Musici performed JS Bach works like they performed Vivaldi ...

18. coopmv

It should have read the operatic voice of the century ... :agree::winkgrin:

19. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Their warmth is what I find so appealing!

20. coopmv

Time for some Beethoven Piano works, now playing CD3 - rondos and sonatas from the following box for a second listen. My thanks to George for recommending Sokolov ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  21. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I've been leary of buying any Uchida after buying her Great Pianists album. I really dislike here Debussy Etudes. I have the Schoenberg album from the Philips Original Jackets box. I should give it another listen. I only listened to it once after buying the box. I imagine I let my dislike of her Debussy prejudice me against the Schoenberg.

Rose River Bear and J.A.W. like this.
  22. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

The picture on the cover looks like it's from the BBC's The Six Wives of Henry VIII. It's the first show I remember seeing on Masterpiece Theater when I was a 10 or 11. I loved it and religiously watched Masterpiece Theater for at least a decade after that, until Upstairs Downstairs.

ToddBD likes this.
  23. coopmv

What an irony? I only have one recording by Uchida and it is the Debussy 12 Etudes ... :biglaugh:

[​IMG]

24. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I don't like her recording of the Etudes either. I can't remember the last time I listened to it.

25. coopmv

Continue enjoying what I already have. Now playing the following CD from my Mozart collection for a third listen ...

[​IMG]

Mik and PH416156 like this.