Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

:righton:

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing CD5 - Works by Debussy and F Couperin from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  3. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Listening to a new release of Reich's Music for 18 Musicians by Ensemble Signal on Harmonia Mundi. Great stuff

[​IMG]

sambamaster, Mik, alankin1 and 2 others like this.
  4. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

Been going through my Deutsch Grammophon Complete Brahms'Boxed set of 46 CDs this weekend . A bargain off amazon. Medical issues keeping me quiet and in full music mode all weekend, not a bad thing. Will be fine on Monday AM when tests are over. The price of being old. A lot of music to keep me in fine company.

Mik, Erik B., bluemooze and 1 other person like this.
  5. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Since I wasn't too familiar with the music, I played this one twice. I like the Martin better than the Bloch; the combination of harp, harpsichord & piano is refreshing. Producer: Christopher Bishop. Engineer: Christopher Parker. Issued 1979.

Mik, 5-String and bluemooze like this.
  6. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Brendel's playing could use a bit more sparkle. Recorded 9/26/70, Wembley Town Hall, London. Issued 1972. Got this for 25 cents.

Mik, ToddBD, Bachtoven and 2 others like this.
  7. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Another 25-cent purchase. This record is in better shape than the Mozart LP & the playing is more to my liking. Recorded 12/3/73 & issued 1974.

Mik, ToddBD, Bachtoven and 2 others like this.
  8. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Just got Tidal working on my Squeezeboxes. Purportedly, most of Tidal streams lossless. I'm not sure how to confirm this independently.

I did a cursory examination of their classical library, and it looks to be on a par with Spotify. As usual, finding specific classical recordings is a PITA, but having a near infinite library of CD quality is mighty appealing.

bluemooze likes this.
  9. coopmv

Now playing LP1 from the following twofer from my Bach collection. Speaking of a person who does not know his vinyl collection, I did not even know this Swiss label twofer has been part of my classical music collection for some thirty years ... :biglaugh:

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  10. coopmv

Now playing CD59 - Works of Brahms and Schumann by Anner Bylsma and Lambert Orkis for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

which is essentially the following single

[​IMG]

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  11. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Beautiful renditions of Mozart's Concertos for Violin Nos. 3 and 5 :thumbsup:

12. john greenwood

Trying out Tidal. Played some of Gardiner's cycle of Bach Cantatas this morning. This afternoon, Uchida performing Schubert D. 845 and 575. Sound seemed fine through my Sennheiser 650s. But I think I prefer Kempff's interpretations.

bluemooze likes this.
  13. coopmv

Now playing the most stylistically incorrect Vivaldi 4 Seasons, i.e. the most non-HIP performance from my LP collection. The recording is on an EMI Italian label but unfortunately I cannot locate the exact jacket image on the internet.

[​IMG]

The solo violinist was Georges Armand ...

Last edited: May 31, 2015
    bluemooze likes this.
  14. coopmv

Is Tidal another streaming service?

15. coopmv

Actually the performance was halfway decent, certainly no worse than BPO/Karajan ... LOL

16. john greenwood

It is.

17. john greenwood

Now Celibidache conducting Prokofiev via Tidal.

bluemooze likes this.
  18. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I've been wallowing in an orgy of piano virtuosity this afternoon! Whew--Berman was on fire in those days (early 60s). Those of you who know his playing only through his DG releases need this LP set (the CD, which only contains the 12 Etudes, is unbearably glassy sounding) to hear some daringly demonic playing.

[​IMG]

Daedalus and bluemooze like this.
  19. coopmv

Now playing CD60, the last CD - Handel Water Music by Tafelmusik/Jeanne Lamon for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

which is essentially the following single

[​IMG]

:shrug:

Mik, Erik B. and ToddBD like this.
  20. coopmv

In another five years, streaming on demand will be mainstream, though people will continue to go for CD and download as well as LP. Classical FM stations as we know them may not survive ...

21. john greenwood

Spotify has 60,000,000 users; Pandora has 75,000,000. I don't know what iTunes Radio has. I would say streaming is already mainstream.

sambamaster likes this.
  22. coopmv

iTunes Radio is likely behind, which is something Apple is not used to over the past few years. There is no doubt it is being watched closely by the regulators ...

So where does Sirius fit in, dying from a slow death?

23. coopmv

Do you have Berman's box on BC Russian Archives?

24. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

:edthumbs:

25. john greenwood

I'm pretty certain the free (commercial-sponsored) version of iTunes radio is on every iPhone and iPad. Probably on the watch too. So, in theory, there are a lot more people who have the software. The number using that feature is another question.

But before George chastises us, back to music. I may comment on availability of titles, sound quality and ease of use for classical recordings, as those strike me as relevant to this thread.