Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing the following CD from my impossible-to-file baroque collection ...

[​IMG]

IIRC, this is an all-Swiss recording ...

Last edited: May 31, 2015
    Mik and bluemooze like this.
  2. coopmv

I assume to access meaningful selections, you must have paid membership at Spotify ...

3. coopmv

I hear you. This box has taken me some times to go through but it is better late than never. I still have two other boxes with 60 or more CD's per box to go through for the first pass ...

4. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

No, but if you choose the free membership, you have to accept commercials and a lower stream rate. I'm pretty sure there are other limitations, but availability of music is not one of them.

5. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

On the turntable…Angel 35522, Mahler "Songs of a Wayfarer," and Brahms "Seven Songs, Op. 32" Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau, Philharmonia/Furtwangler (Hertha Klust, Piano on the Brahms). This is just sublime music-making.

McLover likes this.
  6. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I've listened to the commercial version of iTunes radio. It's a service more like Pandora. You don't get to pick what comes up next and you can't back up. I listened mostly to jazz and the commercials come after 1-3 songs, I thing depending on the length. I really don't think it would be good for most classical music. Pandora wasn't really either.

7. john greenwood

I have that group (along with Tabea Zimmerman) doing versions of the 6 Bach Trio Sonatas.

8. john greenwood

I have Pandora, but I don't use it for classical. Spotify and Tidal work much better, although their search engines suck. If Spotify or Tidal could construct good personalized stations, I would give up Pandora, but Pandora's algorithm is far superior.

9. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Yep

10. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I dropped it because it was too repetitive.

Back to music, I'm listening to Ravi Shankar's Sitar Concerto for the first time from this box. It's interesting music but for the East-West fusion, I like the disc where he collaborates with Bud Shank more than this.

[​IMG]

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  11. john greenwood

Just for the record, my self-created Pandora workout station is not repetitive.

12. coopmv

I have quite a few of those BC Russian Archives boxes ...

13. coopmv

The following Lego-Block box, which I bought last year, probably has this recording. Going through that box will be a big challenge ...

[​IMG]

ToddBD likes this.
  14. coopmv

I may get to Spotify one of these days. For now, I pretty much already have most of the recordings I desire. Perhaps some hard-to-find or prohibitively expensive OOP recordings by the likes of Grumiaux would be good candidates for Spotify ...

15. jimsumner

jimsumner Senior Member

Free (ad-supported) Pandora has a channel entitled Classical Complete Performances. You don't pick the content, of course, but I've been able to get through hour-long works without an ad.

john greenwood likes this.
  16. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I'm still working on the L'Oiseau-Lyre Baroque box and the Maria Callas Complete Studio Recordings EMI box and the two Bernstein Sony boxes. :)

ToddBD likes this.
  17. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

That's interesting. I don't remember seeing a station like that. I probably haven't looked at it for a year and a half.

18. coopmv

I forgot about the Furtwangler's 107 CD box ... :crazy:

19. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Our old friends The Tallis Scholars, issued 1986. Recorded in Merton College Chapel, Oxford. Producers: Steve C. Smith & Peter Phillips. Engineer: Mr. Bear.

Mik, bluemooze, ToddBD and 1 other person like this.
  20. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    More Sunday music, this on the Meridian label. Recorded in Clare College Chapel. Recorded & Produced by John Shuttleworth. Musical Supervision: Richard Egarr.

bluemooze likes this.
  21. john greenwood

I'll check it out. However, much of the time, I will want to listen to something from a particular era, or type (e.g. chamber music). Also, in my case, I play through Squeezeboxes, and as I recall, Pandora's streaming rate is only 128 kbps, even with the premium account.

22. John S

John S Forum Resident

Interesting sticker on that LP: "DMM Direct Metal Mastering". New to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_metal_mastering

Sullygr2221 likes this.
  23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

DMM has been discussed on this board a few times. If I remember correctly not everyone was enthusiastic about it, but I haven't really followed those discussions.

24. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I have a bunch of the BC Russian Archives box sets as well including their big piano box.

25. john greenwood

Continuing to fool around with Tidal. First significant disappointment - some of the albums shown will not stream e.g. all ECM titles. I suspect that is because of jurisdictional licensing issues. And Harmonia Mundi is not there at all.

On the other hand there are well over 100 albums featuring Sviatoslav Richter including the new Sony box.

In any case, started the morning with Bylsma and Boccherini. Now moving on to Holliger and Albinoni.

Mik, bluemooze and ToddBD like this.