Is Denny Laine really on Wings Wild Life album ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by etcetera, Jun 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calico

Calico Senior Member

"Bip Bop" got quite some airplay on the radio in some European countries at the time, and for several years, it was the only "Wild Life" song that I had ever heard.

andrewskyDE, JDeanB and theMess like this.
  2. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

You can't be serious????
    Great???
    Dumb "lyrics", boring and repetitive music, and terrible vocals (why did Paul choose to "sing" in such an annoying manner.
    Now I can actually accept someone saying they like "Bip Bop" (though I think that is strange), but to use the word "great" for such a trifling piece of fluff is something I cannot let pass.

DrAftershave and Huck Caton like this.
  3. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I agree; even if you don't include the songs that he had available but went on to use elsewhere on other Wings albums, he was still left with unused songs like A Love For You, When The Wind Is Blowing, Sunshine Sometime, 4th Of July, Rode All Night and Hey Diddle. I also feel that 'I Lie Around' and 'Little Woman Love' were too strong to be B-sides and that they would also have fitted on the album.

Had those songs been recorded with the same quality production as the Wild Life songs, they would have made the album even greater IMO, almost a Ram-part two, and the instrumentals would have added a 'McCartney album' feel to WL.

Something like this:

Mumbo
    Hey Diddle
    Bip Bop
    A Love For You
    Sunshine Sometime
    4th Of July
    Wild Life

Tomorrow
    Some People Never Know
    Little Woman Love
    I Lie Around
    Rode All Night
    Dear Friend
    When The Wind Is Blowing

4. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Both Denny Seiwell and Hugh McCracken were invited to join Wings. I wasn't aware of McCracken's offer to join until fairly recently, myself. What's funny is that McCracken rehearsed with the band in Scotland before declining the offer due to his being an American and not wanting to miss being with family in the U.S., which was one of the very same reasons Seiwell ultimately left the band two short years later.

5. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

It *is* a great track but I wouldn't "shame" anyone for not getting into it ... I mean, c'mon now.

Skywheel and Simon A like this.
  6. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Wow, what's this thread coming to?

7. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Any idea on how / when they (McCartney & Laine) knew each other prior to this? I've always been curious how their partnership came about.

8. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Got my hands on the 1972 European tour program.

Here is what is said:
    Some three days before Denny (SEIWELL), Paul and Linda were due to go into EMI's Abbey Road Studios with the new songs [which were rehearsed previously at Paul's Scotland farm without Laine], Paul rang old friend Denny Laine...

So if the tour program is accurate, Denny only joined the band a handful of days before the start of the Wild Life sessions.

9. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Paul knew Denny from his days with The Moody Blues ("Go Now," etc.). Apparently they were friendly and McCartney remembered liking him when he was thinking of forming a group in 1971.

ccbarr, Paulwalrus, Digital-G and 2 others like this.
  10. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

Interesting - we have various photos taken in Scotland of the embryonic McCartney/McCartney/Laine/Seiwell Wings lineup, which I'd always presumed were shot June/July 1971; i.e. BEFORE the album sessions.

If McCracken was at the farm in June/July and NOT Laine, then this begs a couple of questions,

1) Are there no known photos of Hugh with the band, before he left?
    2) Just when were those shots of the Laine lineup taken, if not before 24th July 1971?

Calico likes this.
  11. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Wasn't Paul also impressed with Laine's support show on the same night that he saw Hendrix cover Sgt.Pepper just after it was released?

ccbarr likes this.
  12. slane

slane Forum Resident

Or possibly...Laine missed the first session (24 July), but joined before the bulk of recording?

Does anyone have the recording dates after 24th July? Was there a brief gap after the first session(s)?

13. Arnold Grove

I don't have any exact dates for any of the Wild Life sessions. Only vague ones.

14. Moontrekker

Moontrekker Active Member

Dumb "lyrics", boring and repetitive music, and terrible vocals .....a trifling piece of fluff.......
    Before long he was releasing entire albums which would fit those descriptions (IMO).

Huck Caton likes this.
  15. Ricardo Cosinaro

Ricardo Cosinaro Forum Resident

Although he didn't go into detail, when I spoke with Denny about a month ago he mentioned several times his first meeting with John and Paul, which was the night they saw Hendrix play Sgt. Pepper. To this day he seems really proud of that meeting. Here's a (rather bad) iPhone shot from the evening we sat down and chatted.

http://s65.photobucket.com/user/ricardocosinaro/media/IMG_1100_1.jpg.html

16. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

Quick Question. A while back i stumbled upon a preview of a new Denny Laine album...and it sounded like the best music he had recorded since Wings heyday and it did not seem to be a DIY project...... Did Denny mention the new album to you by chance?

theMess likes this.
  17. slane

slane Forum Resident

Neither have I (yet). But the Wikipedia entry *implies* that most of the album was taped on August 2nd.

18. Arnold Grove

Paul might have been telling a little bit of a fib when he said that Wild Life was recorded in 1 week, in an attempt to be like Dylan. Paul made it sound like they started on a Monday and then recorded for the next 6 days and that was it. I'm not sure it all happened that way. Of course, it might have, but there is little evidence to support either way. Only hearsay for the most part. The 1-week scenario also fails to account for "Dear Friend" from the Ram sessions. I'd love to get a full accounting of the Wild Life sessions. Maybe when the ARCHIVE set comes out (please be 2016), we'll finally be privy to the exact dates and recordings done then.

ccbarr, Simon A, theMess and 2 others like this.
  19. Arnold Grove

I just found a quote from Paul (in the Wingspan book, which came out when the Wingspan CD came out) in which he says Wild Life was recorded "in TWO weeks". So maybe Wings did indeed do 14-days worth of sessions over the course of say a month or so. That seems to be more likely (at least in my opinion).

ccbarr, Simon A and theMess like this.
  20. Ricardo Cosinaro

Ricardo Cosinaro Forum Resident

No, there was no indication he's working on new material and he didn't sing anything 'new'.

theMess likes this.
  21. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

Sorry, wasn't trying to start something. Just remembered the out of tune playing of HM during Hi Hi Hi on the Paul McCartney Special and his solo on MIA from either the 72 or 73 tour. Can't remember which at the moment. Though, there was one little lick on some other song (cannot remember which at the moment) on the same that sounded nice. Let's face it, he was a bit of a drinker and it didn't exactly contribute to wonderful playing.

Calico likes this.
  22. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Bip Bop is the single worst thing McCartney ever released. All You Horse Riders is like Pet Sounds in comparison.

Huck Caton and ohnothimagen like this.
  23. slane

slane Forum Resident

Could be, though I'm more inclined to think that a handful of sessions happened over a two week period (possibly July 24th to early August?)

However...I find it somewhat odd that for such a 'spontaneous' album, mixes were apparently still being prepared as late as late-October! So even if the basic takes were recorded quickly, possibly overdubs were applied in the interim.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
    theMess likes this.
  24. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Wow, it must have been great getting to meet him. Did you interview him or was it more casual?

25. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Maybe ... I didn't know about that, however. Do tell more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.