Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

2. ceedee

ceedee Forum Resident

such a shame furtwängler wasn't born 40 years later. supreme performances, mediocre recording facilities.

geralmar likes this.
  3. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Yeah - I associate DMM with Teldec and EMI.

4. drh

drh Talking Machine

Ah, but if he'd been born 40 years later, his performances would probably have reflected the modern, more objective school that came to dominate after WW II, not the more personal approach that we associate with him. Perhaps the better lament would be, "Oh, if only modern stereo recording had become commercial 40 years earlier." Although I can't escape the nagging suspicion that the relative perfection and universal propagation of recordings may have had more than a little to do with that stylistic shift. In the end, I think one of my collector friends has it dead to rights: "You take your great music making where you find it."

5. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

But a blessing he wasn't born 40 years earlier. Then no one today would be able to hear him.

Indeed! :agree:

6. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

On the turntable…Brahms Piano Concerto No. 2, Rubinstein, RCA Symphony/Krips. My LP is a Dynaflex, with slight warpage that minimally affects playback.
    [​IMG]

bluemooze, vanhooserd and J.A.W. like this.
  7. john greenwood

There are conductors who resist that
    That's a twofer, right? I had those recordings in separate twofers from the same era - the two Brahms piano concertos and three romantic violin concertos. I now have the violin concerto on SACD and the Brahms 2nd (actually several Brahms seconds) as part of the big Rubinstein box.

8. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Been listening to the Doric SQ this evening. I wa afraid there'd be some unnecessary show-off that the critics love. But no, this is honest music making.

[​IMG]

However, no matter how important these quartets are historically, they're no match to the 19th century romantic quartets beginning with Beethoven's late quartets.

bluemooze likes this.
  9. john greenwood

Apples and oranges for the most part IMO. Although Beethoven's quartets are in a class by themselves.

10. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Of course. But string quartets all.

11. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

( From September 2014: )
    LaSalle Quartet on Beethoven's late quartet's, Boulez on Debussy's orchestral works and Mahler's symphonies: these are all recordings that show something crucial of the works by revealing the actual structures. Like X-raying. For me Boulez's Debussy recordings were revelations and I was enthusiastic every time when the Mahler recordings were released. Perhaps not the best and sure not my greatest favourites, but worth having them, and especially worth "studying".

12. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

She looks like a young Capt. Janeway from Star Trek Voyager. :)

[​IMG]

jukes, drh and ToddBD like this.
  13. john greenwood

I've been listening to those recently. I had some LPs way back when, and was pleased when the recent set came out as part of the birthday celebration.

14. john greenwood

Now streaming the Takacs Quartet playing Brahms sourced from Tidal. This may be the first time I have seriously listened to streaming music on my main system (as opposed to my own rips). As I don't have the CDs, I can't compare directly, but it sounds good to me.

bluemooze likes this.
  15. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

[QUOTE="john greenwood, post: 12422553, member: 1903"
    That's a twofer, right? I had those recordings in separate twofers from the same era - the two Brahms piano concertos and three romantic violin concertos. I now have the violin concerto on SACD and the Brahms 2nd (actually several Brahms seconds) as part of the big Rubinstein box.[/QUOTE]
    Yes, LP 1 is the Violin Concerto. Heifetz is masterful, but the orchestral sound is a tad on the dull side, the strings have no edge, so Heifetz really sticks out but the orchestra lacks some punch and fire when needed, IMO.

16. john greenwood

See if you can find the SACD.
    Yes, LP 1 is the Violin Concerto. Heifetz is masterful, but the orchestral sound is a tad on the dull side, the strings have no edge, so Heifetz really sticks out but the orchestra lacks some punch and fire when needed, IMO.[/QUOTE]
    See if you can find the SACD. True, Heifetz is a bit forward, but the orchestra is quite powerful.

Edit - I see the quoting has gotten a bit screwed up on our last exchange.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  17. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Yeah, I have the CD version and do not have ANY Tallis Scholars recordings on LP ...

18. coopmv

Now playing CD7 - Beethoven Cello Sonatas Nos 4 & 5 and Variations from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  19. coopmv

IMHO, Furtwängler's Wagner Parsifal overtures are absolutely the best. No conductors after him have even come close ... :righton:

ToddBD likes this.
  20. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

For some reason the quote function is goody, sorry...I find the 2nd and 3rd movements the most balanced in terms of soloist vs. orchestra. And there is no argument about the power of the CSO under Reiner from this Adolph Herseth fan :D My favorite orchestra/conductor combo of all time.

21. coopmv

I first experienced the artistry of Wilhelm Furtwanger on this relatively pricey EMI 3-LP box I bought in the early 80's. I remember my then grad school buddy who is now a senior research scientist at Stanford and an extremely devoted Karajan admirer who cares for no other conductors shockingly rated Furtwangler's performance of the Wagner Parsifal Overtures to have handily beat that of Karajan after he heard the LP from this box on my then mid-fi system ...

[​IMG]

22. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I had a number of their CDs but had no LPs until a couple of months ago; now I have three or four.

23. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

This 3-disc LP set arrived today. Lovely playing and sound.
    [​IMG]

ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
  24. john greenwood

I'll bet. I had their Handel Op. 6, and the sound quality always stood out for me. The performances as well.

25. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

On the turntable…a nice clean Purple Dog mono, 1s stampers. I've never heard this piece before, it's interesting.
    [​IMG]