Is Denny Laine really on Wings Wild Life album ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by etcetera, Jun 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

If I remember correctly, Denny performed as the Electric String Band before Hendrix came out and performed. I seem to remember Denny saying that Paul said that he was impressed with the set that Denny played and that he was interested in what he was doing.

Here is some info about the String Band:

''After leaving the Moody Blues, he formed the Electric String Band in December 1966, which featured himself on guitar and vocals, Trevor Burton (of the Move) on guitar, Viv Prince on drums and electrified strings in a format not dissimilar to what Electric Light Orchestra would later attempt. Laine made two singles, "Say You Don't Mind"/"Ask The People" (April 1967, Deram) and "Too Much in Love"/"Catherine's Wheel" (January 1968, Deram); and, in June 1967, the band shared a bill with the Jimi Hendrix Experience and Procol Harum at the Saville Theatre in London. ''

ccbarr, Paulwalrus and rstamberg like this.
  2. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

It sounds like a pretty bare bones album to me, more leaning toward musicianship and creative songwriting and leaning off the fluff a bit, I bet they did record it in a short period of time, but it might have taken a while mixing it after.

Paulwalrus likes this.
  3. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

This is an even more ridiculous comment than calling "Bip Bop" a great song.

4. Ricardo Cosinaro

Ricardo Cosinaro Forum Resident

Very casual. We sat in the bar and had drinks until his 'handler' came and told him he had to go to work. :eek:

theMess likes this.
  5. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I believe McCracken also intimated that he would have made more money as a sessions guy than what the McCartneys were offering to pay him as a member of Wings.
    Like I say, it's a good EP if you used the right songs but doesn't really hold up as an album...not without exchanging a song or two (but you could say that about most of Paul's albums to be fair)
    I dunno if I'd go that far maybe (and I didn't even like Pet Sounds!) but "Bip Bop" is a f--kin' embarrassment...Paul has released some iffy songs over the years...and then there's "Bip Bop". "All You Horse Riders" is pretty "WTF, McCartney?!" but at least it's clever, like more than ten minutes was put into writing and recording the thing. "Bip Bop" sounds like it was made up on the spot.

Brian Kelly likes this.
  6. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Denny might be selectively remembering, then, as The Moody Blues opened for The Beatles on their December 1965 tour and there are photos of them together, eating a meal, playing table tennis, hanging out.

ccbarr and theMess like this.
  7. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

There are enough good stuff on Wild Life to -at least call it a good album
    Mumbo-actually a real great rocker-noncense lyrics aside
    Bip Bop- not a very good song of course but I always find it entertaining
    Love is strange- a very good cover
    Wild Life-a very underrated song. Pauls vocals are brilliant so is the backing vocals. Classic Wings
    Some people never know- The recording might not be all that polished but the melody is of Beatles quality
    I am your singer-Must admit I don t like this one very much
    Tomorrow-A classic rock-ballad. Another track that imo are of Beatles-quality
    Dear friend- Imo a masterpiece of song craft, singing and arranging. Another overlooked gem
    All in all the album is not even half-bad imo. I was disappointed when it first arrived but it really has stood the test of time well
    And Denny Laine is there all right

8. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Yes, that scenario is just as likely. Also, Linda was shortly due to give birth to Stella, who was born on September 13, 1971. So I presume that Paul tried to get at least all of the basic tracks done prior to that time. Then, maybe in October, he/they had some time to do the final touches (overdubs, etc.).

ALSO: Were the orchestral parts on "Dear Friend" recorded during the Ram sessions, or were they done at this time when Wild Life was being prepared?

theMess likes this.
  9. Arnold Grove

The Beatles and The Moody Blues in December 1965 (Is that Denny next to Ringo?). And I believe that the guy with the glasses in the top right corner is Alf, the Beatles' driver:

[​IMG]

ccbarr, zelox, theMess and 2 others like this.
  10. slane

slane Forum Resident

I think the orchestraions for Dear Friend were done by Richard Hewson, not George Martin (who did the arrangements on Ram). If that's correct, then they were newly done for Wild Life.

11. Arnold Grove

Since Hewson was involved, was this when Thrillington was recorded too?

12. Arnold Grove

Wiki has Thrillington recorded in June 1971. Accurate?

13. slane

slane Forum Resident

I believe so. Paul obviously didn't blame him for TL&WR... ;)

14. backseat

backseat Italian translator - Paul McCartney's 'The Lyrics'

Right.
    To my sources The orchestra for Dear friend was recorded in August or late september 1971.

theMess, cmi, Rob Hughes and 2 others like this.
  15. Arnold Grove

Thank you.

Luca: Do you have any exact recording dates for the Wild Life sessions? Or just vague (approximate) dates?

16. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

According to the brilliant McCartney recording session 1969- 2013 written by our member Backseat Dear friend. was recordef in Los Angelses march 1971- very basic with Paul on piano and drums. In august or october the song was over- dubbed or re- recorded. Engineer Tony Clarke recalls Denny Laine played bass
    The great string-arrangement were done by Richard Hewsson in october in Abbey Road
    Accirding to the same book Denny Laine plays/sings on every track of the album. Dates and other data are detailed in this highly recomended book.

17. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Fans of this album really like it, and the folks who don't like it are not fans of it. It does not have a real hit single right?

18. slane

slane Forum Resident

Love Is Strange/I Am Your Singer was planned to be a single, but didn't happen in the end. Personally, I think an edit of Some People Never Know would have fared better.

It is an album that divides opinion, but I don't really see how fans of McCartney & Ram can dislike it.

Paulwalrus and theMess like this.
  19. Arnold Grove

Thank you too---and for the recommendation.

theMess likes this.
  20. Arnold Grove

The correct spelling is Tony CLARK (not Clarke). Tony Clark worked for EMI. The other Tony Clarke (with the letter "e") was the producer of the Moody Blues' most-famous records.

theMess and Simon A like this.
  21. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

You don't have Backseat's book, Arnie? Oh, man, ya gotta get it, it's awesome! A book like that for McCartney was long overdue...

theMess likes this.
  22. Arnold Grove

I've been slow, I know. I will try to remedy that soon.

theMess likes this.
  23. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

I love Denny Laine.

If you folks aren't familiar with those singles that Denny recorded... check them out! "Say You Don't Mind" is awesome (as is "Catherine's Wheel"). Wings played "Say You Don't Mind" in their set during their 72 shows.
    Also Tony Visconti did the string arrangments for those singles. Great stuff.

I really think that Denny added a certain amount of mojo to those Wings albums that really put them over the top. His post-Denny years have missed that to some degree.

Denny also is still a great performer. I just saw him play back in February at a British Invasion show and he played "Say You Don't Mind" really, really well. Great backing band too including Liberty Devitto!

pantofis and theMess like this.
  24. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

McCartney had a beauty and strong melodies in songs like Junk, and or course Maybe I'm Amazed. Ram had a major hit single, and a rocker feel in places. Wild Life has few (if any) moments as great. I in fact have it on right now playing. It's a "ditch" trilogy type record, if you get what I am saying.

25. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

It's a completely different kind of album than Ram for sure. But even as loose and somewhat incomplete as it feels at times... some real standout tracks for sure. "Some People Never Know," "Tomorrow," "I am Your Singer" all great. And "Love Is Strange" is freakin' cool too! Great drums on that one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.