The Rolling Stones "Live At The BBC"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Landis, Dec 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Landis

Landis Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Will the copyright rules force The Rolling Stones BBC cuts out on the market? I would like to see this one released.

2. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

If so, let's hope they're released inexpensively. Four BBC tracks from 1964 have been officially released, but these were only on a vinyl EP released as part of the super-deluxe 5 CD Grrr! box set.

3. Stormbird

Stormbird Active Member

The Rolling Stones Live at The BBC and Beyond is now on sale at Amazon.

4. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Wasn't there a big announcement 10 years ago or something that an agreement had been reached and all the BBC stuff would come out? I seem to remember it was even in the USA Today.

5. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

[​IMG]

Track Listing:

Side A

1. High Heel Sneakers
    2. Little By Little
    3. I Just Wanna Make Love To You
    4. I'm Moving On
    5. Carol
    6. Not Fade Away
    7. Mike Douglas Interview '64

Side B
    1. It's All Over Now
    2. If You Need Me
    3. Confessin' The Blues
    4. Carol
    5. Mona
    6. Around and Around
    7. Time's On My Side

A bootleg surely? Label: Coda Publishing Ltd

http://www.amazon.com/LIVE-THE-BBC-BEYOND-VINYL/dp/B00UTKX5DU

6. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

There is also this from the Coda label. The Rolling Stones Previously Unreleased.

1. Stewed and Keefed (Chess Studio Outtakes)
    2. Goodbye Girl (Chess Studio Outtakes)
    3. High Heel Sneakers (Chess Studio Outtakes)
    4. Tell Me Baby (Chess Studio Outtakes)
    5. Meet Me In The Bottom (Chess Studio Outtakes)
    6. Mercy Mercy (Chess Studio Outtakes)
    7. Reelin'and Rockin' (Chess Studio Outtakes)
    8. Key to the Highway (Chess Studio Outtakes)
    9. Around and Around (The Ed Sullivan Show 25th October 1964)
    10. Time Is On My (The Ed Sullivan Show 25th October 1964)
    11. High Heel Sneekers (BBC The Joe Loss Show 16th April 1964)
    12. Little By Little (BBC The Joe Loss Show 16th April 1964)
    13. I Just Wanna' Make Love To You (BBC The Joe Loss Show 16th April 1964)
    14. I'm Moving On (BBC The Joe Loss Show 16th April 1964)
    15. Carol (The Mike Douglas Show 18th June 1964)
    16. Not Fade Away (The Mike Douglas Show 18th June 1964)
    17. It's All Over Now (BBC The Joe Loss Show 17th July 1964)
    18. If You Need Me (BBC The Joe Loss Show 17th July 1964)
    19. Confessin' The Blues (BBC The Joe Loss Show 17th July 1964)
    20. Carol (BBC The Joe Loss Show 17th July 1964)
    21. Mona (BBC The Joe Loss Show 17th July 1964)

It is a combination of studio outtakes and live television appearances including some BBC material.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
    Dave Hoos, The Beave and danielbravo like this.
  7. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

The label Coda also has this release.

The Rolling Stones Live In Paris.

1. Everybody Needs Somebody To Love
    2. Down The Road Apiece
    3. Everybody Needs Somebody To Love/Around And Around
    4. Off The Hook
    5. Time Is On My Side
    6. Carol
    7. It's All Over Now
    8. Little Red Rooster
    9. Route 66
    10. Everybody Needs Somebody To Love
    11. The Last Time
    12. I'm Alright
    13. Hey Crawdaddy

Tracks 1 - 2: Liverpool Empire, 6th March 1965 Tracks 3 - 13: Paris Olympia 17th April 1965

[​IMG]

Dave Hoos likes this.
  8. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I would be interested to know about the sound on these.

9. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

So what copyright thing happened that would make these tracks able to be released commercially? And how did "Coda" end up with them?

10. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I believe I read somewhere that after a certain number of years they become public domain. I'm not sure exactly about how the copyright law works.

dkmonroe likes this.
  11. dkmonroe

I'm surprised that ABKCO doesn't have some sort of reach into this, although BBC recordings may be beyond their control. I wonder what sources these Coda releases are from? I've heard that the original BBC tapes are long gone, destroyed or re-used.

12. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Some are lost and destroyed and some are not in very good sound quality. I have a 2 cd bootleg of their BBC recordings and some sound pretty good and there are a number of cover tunes that did not officially appear on their albums.

dkmonroe likes this.
  13. dkmonroe

Yeah, I've got several boots of this material and some of it's pretty good but I don't think I've ever seen one that claimed an original tape source.

14. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Not sure if those above are from original sources either.

15. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Maybe the Stones will finally release some this officially if it is starting to come out like this. However. it seems they are less inclined to release vault material from the Brian Jones era. I am not sure if this has to do with Abkco or not.

16. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

Hi John; You have any of these albums form "coda"? They are bootlegs? Cdr's ?
    I did not know this label or these releases.

thanks for your time

17. botley

botley Forum Resident

I have a pretty strong inkling they're sourced from bootlegs. Haven't yet heard them, though.

Now that 50 years have passed and no one else has released these recordings, they are pretty much in the public domain. Too bad the Stones' official labels left these on the table and decided to let a smaller label take a run at releasing them, as the sound quality would no doubt be improved if they had spent money on a sending a real tape archivist into the BBC and collectors' libraries, finding the best sources, and hiring a good mastering engineer, rather than letting a budget label pick up the slack.

Aftermath, Purple Jim and crozcat like this.
  18. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I am not sure if they are cdrs or not. My guess is that they are sourced from existing bootlegs and I am not sure if they are grey area European releases or not but Amazon is carrying them. I'm not sure if that means anything but they are relatively inexpensive.

I would be interested to hear from someone who has one of these for details. I wonder if these are some on those made on request cdrs that Amazon carries.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  19. owsley

owsley Senior Member

That would be nice to see but I doubt we'll see any significant Stones archive material released until band members are six feet under (same for Pink Floyd). I don't find much of the Stones BBC stuff that interesting. They rarely covered any of their hits, focussing on blues and R+B covers. But there are some sensational performances like Fanny Mae (which the group hijacked for Under Assistant West Coast Promo Man). Unfortunately a lot of Stones tracks never made it to Transcription discs and survive only in fair sounding off-air recordings on bootlegs like Beautiful Delilah. There was a BBC special on the Stones years ago featuring a good number of tracks in excellent quality. I have a 2 lp Euro bootleg "Stones At The Beep (sic)" which contains the entire show. I don't follow Stones underground releases so I can't comment on any upgrades that may have been issues in recent years.

20. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I just found this on one of the listings for these on Amazon UK.

This product is manufactured on demand to a high-quality CDR and shrink-wrapped.

It is probably still a good way to easily get this material for those that don't have it already.

Dave Hoos and danielbravo like this.
  21. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

Thanks!

I've checked a few minutes ago in Amazon.UK that several albums of The Rolling Stones under the Coda label (at least 4 or 5 different releases) , it seems that the CDs are manufactured on "high quality cdr" according to Amazon descriptions. Among the albums there are some interesting things, some themes recur from CD to CD. I also see that "LIVE AT THE BBC ... and Beyond" is the only one in Vinyl version.

Some reviews give good opinions to these albums for the content and sound. Especially for the "Previously Unreleased" for the outtakes of Chess Records.

Aftermath, Dave Hoos and John Fell like this.
  22. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

My friend down in Oregon got the 'BBC' version of this, there seems to be three cd'r's put out by the same company, and their all the same cache of songs, BUT he played me the 'Joe Loss' tracks and seriously guys, Master Tape quality that I've NEVER heard booted before. So although these are PD whoever is putting them out has access to some incredible sounding stuff. Again, the JOE LOSS show tracks are MasterTape quality.
    the beave

23. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

So would I!!!!!
    I would guess this has to do with the European copyright laws. The Stones releasing something. It doesn't look like a bootleg. Both vinyl and CD are available on Amazon.

I've ordered the vinyl from the UK. For 20£ delivered, it's worth taking the chance. My guess is it's just 44.1/16 bit files pressed to vinyl. But you never know. Maybe someone decided to do a decent job with the vinyl....

24. James_S888

The only one available on vinyl is the BBC sessions. But there are a whole bunch of CDs, all from CODA publishing. Whoever they are.
    I've just gone on to Amazon UK and picked up
    Rare licks
    Broadcasting live 1964
    Unreleased Masters
    Live at the BBC and beyond
    Previously unreleased.

I will be giving a commentary on whether, or rather, how good this stuff is. My guess is all the CD stuff is 1:1 flat transfers of the tapes.

Purple Jim, Mark Wilson and crozcat like this.
  25. James_S888

Anybody know anything about the provenance of all this stuff???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.