The Rockford Files - what a great show

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by tomhayes, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Gary7704

Gary7704 Chasing that sound….

Not to mention the theme song...still play it every now and then.

2. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Some of my favorite episodes:

"White On White And Nearly Perfect" -- Lance White was absolutely Tom Selleck's finest hour

"Beemer's Last Case" -- James Whitmore Jr as a nerdy PI wannabe

"Nice Guys Finish Dead" -- Rockford, Lance, and Freedy Beemer attend a PI convention. Possibly my favorite episode of any series, ever

"Quickie Nirvana" -- spoofs new age cults

"A Deadly Maze" -- Larry Linville is a husband searching for his missing wife -- at least I think he is. The plot twist in this is sheer genius.

"A Nice Clean Bust With Sequel Rights" -- Hector Elizondo as a mega-alpha celebrity cop with a TV series about his adventures. I will always believe this is a lampoon of Robert "Baretta" Blake (Stephen Cannell worked on both shows).

"Just Another Polish Wedding" -- pilot for an unsold series, to have starred Lou Gossett and Isaac Hayes as an ill-matched team of private eyes. The scene in the Neo-Nazi bar was later stolen by 48 Hours.

'The Queen of Peru" -- Jim gets mixed up with jewel thieves and some vacationing RVers from Indiana

"Hotel Of Fear" -- Angel is the key witness against a mob hit man and takes advantage of all the perks

"The No Cut Contract" -- Rob Reiner is a sleazy minor league quarterback who gets Jim tangled up with the mafia

3. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I'm noticing how much of the driving Garner did himself, which is pretty impressive. I also think the theme for the show runs slower in the pilot than in the rest of the series, and I like the slow version better.

4. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Great show!

5. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

I still enjoy watching it!

6. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

7. MidnightRocks

MidnightRocks Forum Resident

It's been on BBC Two for the past year ld say. The episode I saw with Tom Selleck as Lance was really excellent.

8. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Killer show. I love it. I love his buddy Angel (Stuart Margolin), as well. Great actor and director.

fr in sc likes this.
  9. Thwacko

Thwacko Forum Resident

Love that show!
    Just discovered Quincy ME and like that one, too.

10. silat

silat Forum Resident

Great show.
    Jim was a great man also.

11. FritzL

FritzL Adrift & Dumbfounded

TRF are on Netflix too.

12. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

I was never really a fan of this show, but I can see the attraction. I was more into Angie Dickenson "bouncing" around on "Police Woman" at the time :)

13. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

What a great series!
    [​IMG]
    Lindsay Wagner, Robert Donley (as Rocky, the only episode he appeared in) and
    James Garner from the 1974 pilot, Backlash of the Hunter,1974.
    Loved the answering machine.

The Rockford Flies, answering machine messages, Season 1.

xilef regnu likes this.
  14. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Cool as ****.

15. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Hard to be sure from just that on-line sample video, but wow, I think they really did remaster the series for this new home-video release and the results appear to be very impressive. The previously existing DVDs are fine, but going by memory here, they don't look anywhere near as nice as this on-line sample. I'd be interested in hearing more about the new remastering...

16. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

I literally smile every time Angel appears on screen. What a great character ... and what a great actor.

[​IMG]

17. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I love Angel too. His interplay with Rockford was great.

I'm now up to Season 3 and just watched "To Protect and Serve," a two parter that may be my favorite of all I've seen so far (and that's saying something). Joyce Van Patten plays a police groupie who is clearly obsessed and disturbed, and whose meddling complicates Rockford's case immeasurably. She's not exactly the focus of the episodes, but she's woven into the fabric of the story so well that she elevates the whole thing even further. Did she get an Emmy for this?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  18. debased

debased Senior Member

I love the scene that showed her at her job. Those were memorable episodes. They must have been filmed not too long after The Bad News Bears was released.

troggy likes this.
  19. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

A great series and a fine showcase for Garner, who had effortless charisma.

20. littleugly

littleugly Well-Known Member

21. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

It's the reason my wife didn't like the show and the only thing about which I've known her to be 100% dead wrong.

She liked Quincey though. Passing by I'd quip "has Dr. Furious blown up with righteous anger yet?"

fr in sc and Clark V Kauffman like this.
  22. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

One word: "Rockfish!"

[​IMG]

23. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

The right person for the right role.
    Liked it too.

24. halfjapanese

halfjapanese Gifs moider!

Rockford was a favorite then and now. Episode descriptions posted here earlier made me smile.

I liked the shows where Jim and expanded crew pulled off some elaborate flim flam of an unsuspecting and deserving bad guy. Garner's character had a compelling weakness for underdogs and an appealing and unyielding anti-authority streak. The scripts also gently lampooned SoCal and The Latest Big Thing.