Mystery Science Theater 3000 some kind of awful

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Mirrorblade.1, Jun 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

My favorite music related riff from MST2000tThe Movie: As they approach the alien planet Metaluna.... Eww, it's Michael Stipe's head !

Vidiot likes this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

[​IMG]

I wish it had had "Edward Muhl in charge of Production." That would've been another thing to riff off of.

guy incognito likes this.
  3. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I'd like to thank mirrorblade & jeatleboe for their deft use of reverse-psychology to make me go back and do something I haven't done in too long a time - enjoy a truly wonderful show, MST2K.

By selflessly pretending to be humorless ****twits with zero insight or wisdom, they've brought me many a hearty laugh.

Bravo!

sparkydog, Shawn, mj_patrick and 2 others like this.
  4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Hey, when I'm doing that, I'm not even pretending. :)

5. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I loved MST3K too, but as others have said, it was highly dependent on the quality of inspiration from the source film. And I was never really a fan of the cast-only skits back in the module... I mainly liked the wise-cracking during the film.

Did they use that gag about handheld camera action being Filmed in Katherine Hepburn Vision! more than once, or is that just my warped memory?

6. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I'm going to counter your negative thoughts with some HAPPY THOUGHTS!

http://www.mst3kinfo.com/ward_e/Song414.html

7. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

This. Most times the source material is so bad the jokes practically write themselves; sometimes it's clearly a slog. Even the serious Misties I know will fast forward past the "intermission" stuff after first viewing. Joel's material was a lot better than Mike's IMO, but even then a lot of it was "hey guys we gotta fill this damn show somehow hahaha!"

8. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Happy? bent on destruction and world domination.
    Show, just seems fake hollow and vapid lack of of any soul.
    It just comes off as few board comic con geeks making fun movies.

9. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Well, at least the "board comic con geeks" (what kind of board? I hope it's a nice Cedar or Pine...) could string together coherent sentences that didn't read like bad Avant-Garde poetry. There's something to be said for being able to do that, no? :)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  10. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Never could figure out why they chose Diabolik, a great film.

11. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

keef00 likes this.
  12. Not every piece of comedy works for every person on the planet and I'm okay with that.
    I can see how MST3K would not be funny to those who can't understand the references, quips, jibes, quotes and jokes.
    MST3K was made a bit like an inside joke. If you understand, it can be funny and if you don't, it probably is not funny.
    You stick with Elvira, she is easily better to look at. The rest of us will continue enjoying our little inside joke show.

hi_watt likes this.
  13. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

I always liked the "----- On Acid!" descriptor. It's like Disney....on acid! It's like David Letterman...on acid!

As if the general population all took LSD and, of course, completely understands.
    It's a good laugh every time.
    [​IMG]

14. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

stereoptic likes this.
  15. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

16. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

I've been reading that since they discontinued the newsletters nearly 20 years ago. :laugh:

17. balzac

balzac Senior Member

While I think I prefer Joel to Mike (Mike seems a tiny bit "meaner" with his jokes, and for some reasons seems to do a lot of mean "fat jokes" with extra glee), they're all funny people and the Rifftrax stuff with Mike are great. Rifftrax are in some cases quite different because they can riff on big-budget, mainstream movies. Their riffs on the Star Wars prequels are great, although they seemed to literally get worn out from the awfulness of the movies by the time they got to "Episode III."

The original audio Rifftrax for "Birdemic" has one of my favorite all-time lines. They are riffing on the poor video quality and editing in the early parts of the movie, and one of them says "This is what happens when you shoot on vinyl."

I enjoy doing the Rifftrax episodes where they've licensed the actual movie too and you can just buy the whole thing and burn it onto a DVD (less of a headache than syncing the audio Rifftrax to a DVD).

The original MST3K episode of "Mitchell" with Joe Don Baker has to be one of the all-time greats. Another favorite is "Overdrawn at the Memory Bank", a weird 80's sci-fi movie produced by public television starring Raul Julia, and completely shot on videotape.

18. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

MST3K Mitchell is, to this day, one of my favorite things in the world.

19. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Indeed. My friends and I got some mileage from using that exclamation point when it came to other movies that used it...like the Duke's McLintock!

20. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

I worked on a movie that later aired on MST3K. It was one of the greatest days of my life when I woke up one Saturday morning, turned on the TV and saw the guys mocking the movie I was a part of.

Chad

LSP2003, izgoblin, Shawn and 5 others like this.
  21. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Ooo, you worked on Soultaker (I checked your IMDB profile). :)

hi_watt, JamieC and ChadHahn like this.
  22. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

Yes I did. I have friends who are in the movie business. They have worked with lots of great people but have never had a movie on MST3K. I think that is better then working with Werner Herzog.

Chad

23. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

That's a favorite episode of mine

ChadHahn likes this.
  24. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Me too! Strange movie, with some really fantastic riffs (and some legendary host segments!).

ChadHahn and SonOfAlerik like this.
  25. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

Like I say one of the proudest moments of my life. :)

Chad

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.