Estocks - Any Fans of This Seller?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Malina, Apr 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Malina

Malina Forum Resident Thread Starter

These guys are the only big seller I know of on Ebay that list items with no regard whatsoever to the true value of the item. So many times I've seen something rare in completed auctions that sold with a ridiculously low BIN and I say to myself, "That has to be estocks." and every single time it's estocks! This seller just cracks me up - they don't care!

Yesterday the Crescent City Soul, Sound of New Orleans box set from EMI came into my inbox from a followed search. I didn't bother to check my searches until later. It was estocks selling the box for 10 dollars with free shipping. :laugh: Amazingly enough, some fool submitted a question instead of just buying it! I chucked to myself and thought "You must be the dumbest potential buyer in the world." Then I clicked the BIN button.

S0 ... has anyone else been the recipient of Estocks' largesse? I would stalk their listings, but there are just too many. On the other hand, I could probably quit my job and make a living reselling Estocks lisings. These guys always makes me laugh with their crazy low prices.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
    qwerty likes this.
  2. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

Yes I have purchased some cds from this seller. Shipping is I believe from the Atlanta area. Never a problem, usually receive item within a week. Also I think this is the seller who has a picture of a girl laying in the grass with headphones on some of their items.

3. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Announcing great deals from an ebay seller on an internet forum is a great way to ensure you may never get others.

4. Bowland

Bowland Forum Resident

There is a seller called estocks (small "e") on Ebay in the UK from whom I've bought quite a few hard-to-find CDs at good prices. I believe they also sell on Amazon under the name "zoverstocks".

Often, on any given CD you search for, they will be the cheapest seller, if only by one pence. I'm told they use some software that scans all prices and automatically undercuts them.

5. Malina

That is them. Thanks for the Atlanta info. I think they were from the UK initially and lately they've had the US base, but I could be wrong.

Like I said, they've got way too much for me to peruse, so have at it!

Bowland - that is them with the small "e". I didn't know they're zoverstocks, thanks for the info!

6. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

Yep! I've bought many many things from them off ebay (and as Zoverstocks on Amazon), especially in the last few months. Lots of their stock ends up being around $4-6 (including shipping to Australia), which is hard to argue with. Condition ranges a bit - some things they've sent me has basically been Like New but is listed as Very Good, but I've yet to be disappointed. Delivery usually takes a couple of weeks, but I can live with that for the prices...

qwerty likes this.
  7. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

8. jamiesjamies

jamiesjamies Forum Resident

I am in the UK and there is a site called music magpie, they advertise on TV and you send CDs/DVDs/books etc for instant cash. You don't get a lot, around 30p to £1, although I have just done a batch and got £3 for a very ordinary compilation! Anyway they operate from the Channel Island of Guernsey, and sometimes the estocks listings say they are from Guernsey and sometimes England. So I have come to the conclusion that they are one and the same. I have bought a lot of CDs from them, not always valuable but often hard to find. A couple of problems though. I bought a couple of rare CDs and a few days after ordering, I get an email and refund saying they are no longer available, but I suppose with the huge turnover of stock they must have this is to be expected from time to time.

jimdavies111 likes this.
  9. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

As mentioned, in the UK estocks is the eBay name of, and zoverstocks the Amazon seller for, the same outlet. I’m reasonably sure that the website thatsentertainment.co.uk is the same company too. Whenever something in my eBay watch list comes up and I see that it’s on ‘Buy It Now’ and the seller is estocks, I always refer to the thatsentertainment site and the same disc is always there for around the same price. And, if the price is right, then that’s where I’d buy it; saves faffing around with PayPal and all that.

10. Nick Scott

Nick Scott Forum Resident

I've used them a lot. Twice I have had faulty discs - they have refunded instantly and not wanted the item returned.
    Often, their items really are 'as new' though.

11. jamiesjamies

jamiesjamies Forum Resident

Yes I was thinking the same too! I got a rare abba cd in one of the that's entertainment shops once. It can turn up some good items. I lucked out with the Abba because this one had a barcode, and many of their early issue CDs did not. You won't see any non barcoded early CDs in there because they will be getting them via barcode entry.

Dave S likes this.
  12. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

They're stuff is usually dirt cheap, but it's not always in the best of shape. It's aways listed as "very good" though. I've probably bought 20 CDs or so from them over the last few years, and I'd say 15 of them were in great shape, and the others were playable but scratched, or torn artwork or something along those lines. Pretty solid odds for the low price though.

I did have an issue once where they sent the wrong disc completely. I contacted them twice about the issue, but they ignored me. I didn't see a point in filing a claim over a 5 or 6 dollar CD though. Just understand that they deal in mass bulk, so mistakes will happen. For the cheap prices though, I don't mind gambling on them from time to time.

13. Kill Uncle Meat

Kill Uncle Meat Forum Resident

I'm wondering how much I can trust this seller and if the CD I'll receive will be in fact the CD with the barcode listed and not just any version of the same album.

:help:

14. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

I've bought probably a couple of hundred CDs from Zoverstocks on Amazon UK (usually original '80s versions and none costing more than £1) but eStocks on eBay UK rarely describe the disc in question. Even a photo would help to identify which version it is.

15. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

They pretty much stick to the barcodes. Their business model is based on barcodes.
    The problem here is sometimes a barcode will cover many versions or formats. The UK EMI/Columbia SACDs released in 2003 mostly had identical barcodes for both the CD and SACD versions. Same with Abkco Rolling Stones releases. There is a big differentiation now on the used market.
    This has worked in my favour on quite a number of occasions when I was building up my Early 80's Polygram red and green arrow faced collections. They don't cherry pick rare items before advertising them.
    Also, A lot of CDs I am looking for are early 80's CD's without barcodes. Obviously the eStocks model is useless for that scenario too.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
    Dave S and Kill Uncle Meat like this.
  16. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

I must have bought 100 CDs at least from estocks and zoverstocks in the UK. I've had three or four duds and each time they immediately refunded and told me to keep them. The condition often isn't that good but usually I'm only buying them to rip to the PC so I don't care. The eBay listings always give the bar code but on Amazon you have to work it out from the year and label - sometimes you have to take a chance but at those prices you can afford an occasional mistake.

It was interesting to find out here where all these CDs come from so thanks for that.

17. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

Sorry to resurrect a two month old thread, just wanted to share my experience with estocks. I've bought dozens of CDs from them over the last year or so, and have always been impressed - their prices are ridiculously low and condition is always excellent.

HOWEVER - don't buy Tom Petty's Full Moon Fever from them; there's a glitch in their database and they'll send you Whenever You Need Somebody by Rick Astley! When I complained I got a standard "sorry, we'll send it again" email but they sent me the Rick Astley CD again. I emailed them again and pointed out that there was clearly a fault on their system, but I just got another standard reply and ANOTHER Rick Astley. I don't think a human being actually read my emails at any point.

The worst thing was trying to convince my family that I honestly hadn't ordered it!

18. drasil

drasil Former Resident

you got rickrolled by estocks three times in a row?

19. Phil Tate

Ha! I was starting to think he worked there...

20. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

Estocks and Rick: together forever and never to part.

Phil Tate likes this.
  21. Kill Uncle Meat

Kill Uncle Meat Forum Resident

They are quite messy, I've gotten so many trashed CDs from these guys. But I could get some real gems in great condition too like Black Sabbath's CLACDs for very little money. They always refund without much trouble and tell me to dispose the disc as I please, which is fine. But you gotta be prepared to be disappointed, it's gambling without losing more than your time.

22. Phil Tate

Well at least they're being more upfront now!
    [​IMG]

Malina likes this.
  23. BG99

BG99 Forum Resident

To answer some folks' questions about Estocks?? First, I didn't know they went by Zoverstocks on Amazon, so thanks for that info.

The good points??

For the most part they are OK - I notice lately that some of the prices on some harder-to-find CD's tend to be a little higher. Still, I've been
    able to find a lot of good ones with them fairly cheap. And for the most part the Free Shipping usually beats Anazon hands down.

The bad points??

(A) I sometimes get the wrong version of the CD I wanted, if there were multiple editions.

(B) Also, if I ordered a 2-CD set that originally was packaged as 2 individual CD's (in a long box, for example), often they will just ship me one of the CD's.

I've mostly had the latter problem with WEA 2-CD sets that originally didn't have the 'fat pack' or the 2-CD 'slimline' case.

But usually they do give refunds on such mistakes and let you keep the wrong or incomplete - or even sometimes defective - CD.

Bill

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  24. BG99

BG99 Forum Resident

I forgot to mention that this is for Estocks USA, not the UK division.

Bill

25. Malina

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.