Line magnetic 518a

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mark broadhead, Jun 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

2. Mark broadhead

Mark broadhead Forum Resident Thread Starter

No they do a 211 version too.

3. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Sorry, but that is not correct. The 211IA comes with 211 tubes now.

4. Richard Austen

The 211ia is a push pull integrated. 211 tubes can't fit. Show me a link with a picture.

5. Mark broadhead

I meant a 211 valved version of the 218....

6. Mark broadhead

7. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer

Where was this purchased?

8. Mark broadhead

9. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer

I'm sorry but I'm afraid this is not looking good.

Line Magnetic has posted this on their website:

Announcement & Warning

We are issuing this announcement as warning to consumers to be aware of the
    fraudulent offerings on our products by ‘unauthorized resellers’ over internet.

These ‘Unauthorized Resellers” include but not limited to:

http://www.knoxed.com/
    http://www.ornec.com/
    http://www.cattylink.com/
    http://www.china-highend-hifi.com/
    http://www.aliexpress.com

Goods from those websites are NOT purchased from our factory directly and we
    haveNO sales record of dealing with them. If they claim that they have contacts
    directly with our factory, it is a complete false fraudulent claim.
    Please forward
    such claim you received by email to our distributors in your country for us to use as
    prosecution records.

The units offered by these websites are of dubious origin, which could be only
    suitable for Chinese domestic consumption, second-hand, older models, and fake,
    defective, self-assemble in private, with improper voltage or could NOT meet the
    local safety requirements of your country.

Prices listed on these websites are often even lower than the retail price we have for
    China’s domestic sale, which has much lower distribution cost than in western
    countries. Such a price will not provide you a proper service and there is absolutely
    no factory warranty provided. You will not receive genuine parts or qualified services
    for your purchase. We as manufacturer will not be responsible for any financial
    losses or bodily harm you may incur from these goods.

Our products are sold only through authorized distributors and dealers selected by
    us. They have been chosen for their professional products knowledge, integrity and
    service ability. We provide warranty on products sold only by our authorized
    distributors and dealers.

In order to safeguard your warranty and assure the purchased product quality,
    please buy our products from our authorized distributors and dealers only. Each of
    our products has its own serial number which can be used to trace its origin. We
    will NOT PROVIDE any warranty or technical support from unauthorized sources
    even it might be a genuine product. Please always keep your purchase record. Even
    if you are buying used products from an individual, please ask them to provide you a
    copy of the original purchase receipt (pricing information can be covered). Otherwise
    we will not be able to provide you further technical support.

We work closely with Chinese customs and foreign customs together to register our
    trademarks at each border protection agency. Our trademarks are protected by
    International Copyright laws in all jurisdictions. Please be aware that your purchase
    from unauthorized resellers could be seized by Chinese customs or your country’s
    import customs for further investigation.

Thank you for your attention.

Issued and Signed by: ZHUHAI LINE MAGNETIC AUDIO CO., LTD

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
    Rolltide likes this.
  10. rob303

rob303 Forum Resident

And the woes of outsourced production continue...

riknbkr330 likes this.
  11. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Most likely Shuguang.

12. GoldprintAudio

OK.....I think we are all getting a bit confused here....

The OP has a 218IA which DOES now use 211 tubes.

The 211IA uses EL34 tubes.

Somehow we got switched over to talking about the 211 integrated while talking about 211 tubes.

And to the poster above, these amps are not outsourced. They are fully built by Line Magnetic.

13. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Oh! Now China gets serious about knockoffs. Ha Ha!

DaveC113 and beowulf like this.
  14. Mark broadhead

I am aware of the fakes. I have had stuff from Cattylink before. I am certain it is no fake. I have looked inside it, the parts and layout are identical, transformers included, construction is excellent. If it is a fake it is a perfect copy. It is a lot better made than the ARC reference monoblocs I once owned !

15. inperson

inperson Senior Member

A few years ago I bought the LM KT88 amp through a dealer in Beijing. This is right before the brand started taking off. They were happy to make one for me in 120 volts for the US, so I had to wait a few weeks.

But last year, right before I moved back home to America, I asked them if they could get me another LM amp also in 120volts. They said that they will no longer do this because they now have dealers in the USA. That's fair.

Question.

If I can still get a LM 220 volt amp and have it shipped to the US and buy a step up transformer would that be a good deal? 220 volt versions bought in China are much cheaper than buying here in America.

16. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

What is a Line magnetic 518a? Is it a train locomotive? Is it a medical device, or what?

People, please, if you want the most responses to your thread, take a moment to make a good thread title.

ThorensSme likes this.
  17. Mark broadhead

I have had another look inside, I know that the Chinese can fake very well, but those are real Rubycons, Nichicons, the bridge rectifiers are the real deal, transformer labeled 240v. I have seen copies and the fake caps, on Music Angels for example. It is as well made as my old Radford. Even the remote works perfectly, it all feels right. The chassis is beautifully put together. Its a hell of a bit of kit. Happy to compare internal pics though !

18. james

james Summon The Queen

Would Klipsch LaScala be an inappropriate thread title?

19. Steve Hoffman

It would, yes, Klipsch LaScala reads like a pipe organ. I'm sure I could find thousands of people who have no idea that this is a speaker. What would be so hard about typing the word speaker?

I still ain't sure what a Line magnetic 518a is. Can a moderator figure it out and put it in the thread heading? Probably a preamp or line stage or headphones or a stereo amp or receiver or phono stage or turntable or speaker or cartridge or something.

james likes this.
  20. GoldprintAudio

518IA is an integrated amp.

Although the OP actually has a 218IA, which is also an integrated.

So really, the title should be changed to 218IA Integrated.

21. Mark broadhead

22. Tore Pedersen

Tore Pedersen Member

You should check out this thing on the internet called "Google". It's pretty amazing.

Erocka2000 likes this.
  23. Steve Hoffman

Not my job. Your job is to make it so one doesn't have to do that.

bhazen likes this.
  24. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

Actually the thread title should be changed to "Line Magnetic 218IA Integrated Amplifier". ;)

25. Richard Austen

Here is the 218Ia 211 on Cattylink. http://www.cattylink.com/lm218ia211.html

Here's the thing though. The Hong Kong dealer doesn't carry this, the US dealers don't sell it - and it's not and never has been listed on Line Magnetic's website - and I know this because I was initially looking for 211 based tube amps ever since I've been in HK (4 years). It's also very odd to me that the 218 (845) is rated for 22 watts while this cattylink amp is rated at 13 watts from a similarly powerful tube type. I hope Jonathan Halpern is aware of this thread or has information about what is happening.

Some companies do in fact have domestic and foreign versions of their products which are different and built to different standards. - I'll be damned if I can get a decent tasting box of Cheerios or Shredded Wheat in Hong Kong. And Corn Pops that are flattish squares that don't pop is shocking. But hey it's for the foreign market how will they know.

I like Line Magnetic but it is confusing - I have read that Line Magnetic is a Korean company (also called Korea Magnetic) and that the owners are Korean building in China. But my Hong Kong dealer insists that they are both Chinese and it is a Chinese company. But as you can see KoreaMagnetic 219IA http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...ind-full-of-magnetic/1026221_32262391659.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.