Do You Get Scoffed At For Still Buying CDs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MYQ1, Jun 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Went to a "Record Show" recently & saw a vendor I've been buying from for years & he halfway sarcastically asked me if I "found any good CDs?".

The answer was yes as there were some good ones I got for much less than the vinyl most folks were slobbering over. :)

While I know sonically it sounds better I can't believe in this day & age of portability that vinyl is as popular as it is.

2. MYQ1

On my way to a local record store now to catch more abuse (for pennies on the dollar :)).

3. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  4. IpseDixit

IpseDixit Forum Resident

I have noticed people now say things like "Awwww, you still have just a CD player in your car?" with that mixture of pity and derision they used to reserve for people with tape decks.

5. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

CDs still outsell vinyl by a LONG shot, so a lot of people are still buying them. Any day you get to spend at a record/CD show is a good day. Don't let a snarky comment spoil it.

6. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Chicks dig my flip phone. :righton:

7. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

So it's settled now. CDs are inferior to vinyl. This is useful to know.

8. MYQ1

I don't think there's ever been a better time to be a CD fan.
    Many are unloading them cheap on E-Bay & Amazon.
    Point, click & in my lockable mailbox 3 - 5 days later.

9. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

I was getting insulted over 10 years ago! I remember when I first started college and moved to the city I started buying more music, as there were more stores. One day I went into Sam Goody (remember them?) and brought 4 CDs to the checkout, can't remember which ones, I know one was the fairly new (at the time) Apple comp of Badfinger. When I handed them to the girl behind the counter she scoffed at me and said "like CDs much?" and said they were a waste of money. I would have just left but I had a gift card to use, but I never went back there after that.

10. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Gee , youse fellows are a sensitive bunch.

11. IpseDixit

IpseDixit Forum Resident

Sometimes I feel I get scoffed at for trying to sell CDs at the store I work in. While we still have bargain hunters galore going through our clearance section, it's getting progressively harder to sell anything for more than $2 that doesn't say "The Beatles" or "Led Zeppelin" somewhere on it.

Customer: "Hey, why is this The Cars CD more expensive than the others? It's old."
    Me: "Ah, that one! That's a target pressing..."
    Customer: "It's from Target? Why does that make it better?!"
    Me: "No, as in it was printed in West Ger-"
    Customer: "Hey, seriously it's really old, it's not even remastered or anything, shouldn't it just be in clearance?"
    Me: *sigh*

I love the SH forums, but sometimes I forget that in the real world if a CD doesn't say "Newly Remastered Deluxe Edition" on it, it's well-nigh worthless to most people. :p

12. hiddman

hiddman Forum Resident

The Sam Goody cashier told you CDs were a waste of money? No wonder they went out of business.

ispace, Stencil, Bluebair and 28 others like this.
  13. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Just ask the vinyl-loving scoffer if he wants two CDs for free. If he says yes, start unzipping your pants.

14. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

That's where you store yours ?
    Don't little hairs get stuck to your silver drink coasters ?

15. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

That was the irony of it! Here was a store that sold only CDs and she said that. I don't know if the choice of the discs I bought bothered her or the quantity (which wasn't that much) but she was quite peeved.

16. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

Speaking from personal experience i think the so called sonic superiority of vinyl is the biggest myth associated with recorded music.

17. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

You managed to stereotype two entirely different two types of buyers in just one sentence. Impressive.

Vinyl Socks, CBackley, Grant and 3 others like this.
  18. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

A car without a CD player is useless to me.

19. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Btw, I get teased for buying CD's, but not from vinyl buyers. :)

20. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

It's more that I get scoffed at for buying the same CDs over and over again...

If it's remastered, has bonus tracks, even a fancy digipak sleeve, chances are I'll pick it up..

21. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

The "Would you like two CDs for free?" joke works on all mockers, not just vinyl-loving ones.

22. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I was looking through the CD bin at Walmart, and some guy said "You don't need those. You can get all the music you need from iTunes." Should have kicked him in the groin. :D

Hammerpeg, Dominick, Martyn and 30 others like this.
  23. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

It was probably @JohnnyQuest. You really should have booted him in the nads.:D

garrincha, Grant, Hutch and 9 others like this.
  24. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

I don't know...

I like CDs. I like vinyl. Never sold my vinyl off back when CDs became popular. Not selling my CDs now that Vinyl is back.

I think it is very cool that vinyl has regained a level of respectability/popularity. I see all these twenty something paying 20.00 for Fleetwood Mac's Rumors LP. And it's cool. It's fun to be a the record store again. People buying and talking about music with great passion.

We don't have to choose sides. Some stuff just make sense on vinyl; Zeppelin IV or Tommy. Somethings are great on CD; box sets, bonus tracks, full live shows by...Govt Mule!

Now...downloads su#$! :)

25. IbMePdErRoIoAmL

IbMePdErRoIoAmL lazy drunken hillbilly with a heart full of hate

It sounds similar to the derision I received in the mid-1990's when buying new releases on vinyl. Just wait it out my friend!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.