Disturbing Movies

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jayski, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

I was thinking that I had seen this movie as an adult. After watching the trailer, I realized that the only time I saw this was in the theatre back when I was 9 years old. I remember being quite confused.

I want to see it now.

guy incognito and GuildX700 like this.
  2. singergirl29

singergirl29 New Member

Schindler's List, Fight Club (I know I'm lame ) and Evil Dead(The newer one). Schindler's List freaked me out because I knew it happened and it was a really horrible time in history. The Little girl in the red coat really got to me. Fight Club because of how very likely that could happen in real life. Disassociative Identity Disorder is what was going on in that film. It was...surreal and mildly creepy what the mind can do in desperate situations. As for the newer Evil Dead...the chick in the bathroom with the glass...yikes.

3. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Some movie from the 1970's (forgot the name) that was made on the popularity of the Exorcist films where a possessed woman could twist her face into some really freaky ways. When I was a young boy and up very late switching the channels on my tv and I suddenly came upon the scene with her children running into her bedroom only to have her turn around with a horribly frozen look on her face. It really freaked me out. I haven't seen it since that time but in my heart I am really afraid to see it again. But perhaps I have made it into something bigger than it really was.

Kubricker likes this.
  4. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

PIG
    That's really all I need to say. The opening 60 minutes or so is one uncut scene, pretty interesting cinematically, but my oh my. The ending will leave you chilled to the bone. Guess I had more to say. There is more then one movie called PIG. Look for the 2010 movie.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  5. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

God Bless America (2011)
    I rate Bobcat Goldthwait's output as a director very
    highly (Shakes The Clown; Sleeping Dogs Lie, etc.)
    but this film is a politically-confused mess with a
    complete lack of the humane moral compass that
    guided his earlier efforts...regardless of their edgy
    subject matter. A less-funny Natural Born Killers.

kanakaris, vince and spudco like this.
  6. Hightops

Hightops Forum Resident

A Belgian film from the 1990s titled Man Bites Dog (about a serial killer being followed by a documentary film crew) balanced humor & disturbing content quite well. When I bought the VHS tape I discovered it contained a rape & mutilation scene that U.S. theater distributors had removed for very good reasons. Crossed the line & made the rest of the film difficult to enjoy.

Lightworker likes this.
  7. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Rainer Werner Fassbinder's Martha (1974).

A film about a beautiful woman who marries a sadist.

This film was disturbing, horrifying and ultimately....desolating; and it makes its impact by stealth. There are no obviously 'shocking' scenes but the way the sadistic husband undermines the wife, destroying her morale, is very upsetting (as, surely, it was meant to be).

The most horrific film I've ever seen; and it's not even a 'horror' film.

8. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I watched Jaws a few weeks ago for the first time in yeaarrrrs...anyway, I wouldn't go so far as to call the film "disturbing" but (trying not to spoil here) the ending is pretty gruesome for a PG movie.

9. verhfrank

verhfrank Forum Resident

'The Stoning of Soraya M' really got to me. Highly recommended but hard to watch...

Jackson likes this.
  10. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

I saw a movie years ago called "Even Hitler Had A Girlfriend", a very low budget film about a schlubby security guard who spends his life savings on hookers. It was a bit disturbing.

11. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

This one stayed with me for a long time, great movie, i'm really surprised it's not better known.

12. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

"God Bless America" is like "Natural Born Killers'-meets- "Falling Down".... with a 'splash' of "The Professional"!

13. vince

I vaugely recall an "Exorcist"-rip-off called "Beyond The Door". Could that be it?

14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

And minus any sense of talent or purpose. I thought "GBA" was a truly terrible film:

http://www.dvdmg.com/godblessamerica.shtml

wayneklein likes this.
  15. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Yes, I think it is.

16. vince

17. Oatsdad

I guess that means you liked it more than I did? :D

18. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Please consider this a brief sidetrack, not a threadcrap (but it is about something that can be seen).

Does anyone else know Sarah Kane's play Blasted? Probably the most disturbing thing I've ever watched.

[​IMG]
    Marin Ireland and Reed Birney.

19. It's an awful, awful movie.

Behind The Door isn't much better and I felt that the talent involved (and there were some talented folks in that film) were wasted. At last they got a ticket to Italy.

20. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

Having not seen it, I have to ask-

Is it any worse than the film "Paparazzi"?

21. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

I just saw that a few days ago. The main character was so annoying I was hitting the fast forward button on and off just to get to the end. Mine had the rape mutilation in x4 speed :D. More an annoying than disturbing film for me.

Watched Kill List http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1788391/ and was quite good. Begins as a modern kitchen-sink UK slice of semi-mean suburban life and becomes a thriller with unexpected ending (though I guessed the very end conclusion). There is one particularly violent scene mid way that has this film qualify as disturbing.

22. Oatsdad

Never saw that one!

23. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

[​IMG]

Ghostworld likes this.
  24. danner

danner Forum Resident

Yeah, there's a specific shot in that movie that haunted me for weeks after watching it. It's a well-made movie that I never need to see again.

I haven't gone through the whole thread to see if Bad Boy Bubby has been mentioned yet. It's a really odd one because it starts off with some really disturbing scenes (especially for animal lovers) and then takes a weird, almost light-hearted tonal shift halfway through the film.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Apollo 18