Dire Straits Brothers in Arms MOFI 45rpm

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by irwin69, Feb 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

Apologies mate, my sarcasm meter was switched off... and I misread your following sentence, peace

2. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Me, just for experimentation purposes. :)
    Anyway Chookie, we are on the same (or similar) page with this discussion , no worries.:thumbsup:

3. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

This is possibly where your argument breaks down, Your ears are only the transducers. Your brain is deciding whether its a good or bad sound.

4. vinylvark

vinylvark Forum Resident

But you pass judgement without listening.
    But let's leave at that because I have no desire to convince you of anything. I've said it plenty of times, the CD is fine and any preference for something else is subjective and entirely down to personal preference. I apologize if I came across as saying otherwise.

5. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

CD is fine, but for what? It's fine as a cheeseboard, it's fine for background music. Good LP reproduction is more satisfyingly musical. That, of course, is subjective, but finding out why is not. Given equivalently well set up CD playback and LP playback, the LP will win for musical involvement every time. We can then find out why that is, why the analog playback seems to involve the listener in a more visceral way.

6. I spun this record for the 5th time today...I don't love BIA, but I have some weird desire to own many copies of it. Help!

I can't argue that the sound is very nice...the best I have heard (on vinyl, at least). What I really wanted was the long versions of the songs. The Stan Ricker copy is sterile & lifeless. I spun it twice & plopped it in the for sale pile. This edition sounds the most like 'vinyl' (& vinyl kids know what that means, no discussion needed) to me. The snare is much less cutting & the sound is much for full. Dynamics are intact. For lack of a better way of putting it, this record has never sounded less 80s.

stem likes this.
  7. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

This is great to know. While not my absolutely favorite Dire Straits album, there are a few really good songs and a few GREAT ones! Side 2 of my RL US LP is terrific. "One World" is a really good song, underappreciated. And "Brothers In Arms" is one of the great songs of the DS canon.

8. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Does anyone who owns this think this better than the original Pressing? I had heard the original tapes were from digital to begin with, i'm not sure how much they can be improved upron with MofI 45 rpm IMO, buy hey, if this sounds great , then maybe ? :)

teag likes this.
  9. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

I haven't heard the Mofi 45 yet but I do prefer the original CD over the remasters and SACD. Your mileage will vary.

10. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

the SACD aniversarry edition sounds compressed ....i think the original CD is better

11. jgrillo

jgrillo Forum Resident

I think most have responded "yes" to this. But, not all originals are equal, as with any original/first pressings (depending on pressing plant, etc). One question I have is for those with the Quiex II Promo of this album, which to me sounds much better than the stock "originals" I have heard. I know this new 45 rpm contains uncut songs, and for that it would be worth the price of admission to some, but I would reallly love to know if anyone has compared the MOFI to the Quiex II. That would be the best shootout, in my opinion, as I think the Quiex was the reigning king (over the Ricker half-speed and even the well-regarded Bellman re-issue).

Can anyone out there make this comparison???

12. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

Well despite owning 4 versions of this album I caved and ordered it last night. I wasn't sure if myself or Joey Corleone would break first :D

13. vinylvark

vinylvark Forum Resident

Let's respect each other's preference, alright?

Chooke's arguments are valid but others simply prefer something else.

Let's leave it at that, we still share the same love for music and that's still the reason why we are all here.

Peace guys. Enjoy the music!

14. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

Thanks and I appreciate the objectivity you bring to subjective preferences on this album. I learned something new from your posts. This is why I joined this site - the love of music and the (mostly) informed opinions of various mixes and mastering on various releases and formats. I'll listen to it on any format that has the best master or mix to my ears. That includes compact cassette.

15. mike catucci

Trying to get this thread back on track. My copy arrived today. Just ran it through for the first time. It sounds wonderful. For those who said it now sounds more analog than digital, you are spot on. How the folks at MoFi accomplished that without trimming away the highs is beyond me. The highs are on par with the box set for the most part but a few times during EVERY song a new detail appears that moves this version more toward the stunning category. Now the bass is where this version really comes to life. Tight, thumping in my chest, not like any other version of this album. As a Dire Straits fan I am NOT sorry I parted with 50.00 to have this in my collection. For me it won't get better than this.

Any negative comments on this album by those who have not heard it is really silly. I don't know how MoFi did it, but they did. I have a fantastic system that is very revealing. Want to stop by and listen, just PM me. The differences are clear and oh so good.

Dmann201, bootbox, sonofjim and 8 others like this.
  16. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I agree. Hard to find much to objectively complain about for me. I've always loved this album and have the Original LP, the Stan Ricker (RIP), the original CD, the SACD and now this 45 rpm MoFi which is about as good as I've heard this sound. I think this has to be where I stop buying this one.

Geee! likes this.
  17. mike catucci

Agreed. The only way I buy this one again is if Knopfler himself comes to my home with the album and plays the guitar tracks live.

Geee! and PteroDon like this.
  18. PteroDon

PteroDon Forum Resident

No , we are not all done yet .............. We need spare copies :targettiphat:

19. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Deleted quite a lot of analog vs. digital bickering having nothing to do with this actual release. Left some of it due purely to fatigue. Please continue to discuss this release and try to steer clear of analog vs. digital theories unrelated to your actual listening experience. We have a hardware forum where stuff like that has been debated ad infinitum, you know. :)

20. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

I want MFSL to do a 45rpm of the first album...

21. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I think it's happening. These titles have been advertised...

mike catucci likes this.
  22. kumast

kumast Forum Resident

Do you have a link to that please?

23. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

24. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

25. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

For those that own the 45 RPM, how is the quality of your pressing? I just received a sealed copy from a major vendor and:

* Even after two 3-step cleanings, this item is far more noisy than it should be
    * LP #1 is pressed off center and neither of them look like they are pressed correctly
    * There is about a 2 minute constant glitch on the last song, "Brother In Arms"

For the price I paid for this item, this is just not acceptable. It's been a while since I have ordered any MFSL titles. Is this typical of their quality control these days? I mean, I realize there are bad pressings here and there with just about every LP, but you would think a premium brand/product with a premium price tag could do better than this.

I'm curious as to whether anyone else with this release has/had issues with their copy. I'm trying to decide on whether to order a replacement or just get a refund and wait until this title gets repressed.

BTW, LOVE the sound/mastering of this release!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.