When you were a kid and listened to a song, what did you get totally wrong about it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 31, 2013.

1. telliott

telliott Senior Member

Yeah, it's amazing how similar Jack Bruce and Eric Clapton sound singing alternate lines on that song.

2. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I thought they were black too and always thought it was tongue in cheek/mocking. I had heard black people refer to "white boys" in a mocking tone (directed at me at times - I am not the guy in my Avatar) but had never heard a white person use that expression.

3. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

I can't get it out of my head that some guitars should be lead and some made for rhythm - I don't know where that comes from. A les Paul for example should never play a clean rhythm and a Rick should never be a lead instrument, makes no sense. Keith Richards has a quote about the 2 guitar players in his band being guitar players, not necessarily lead and rhythm players. He says you don't walk into a music store a buy a lead guitar or a rhythm guitar...a guitar is a guitar

4. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

What do you know. I finally found it. And after four long years.

(Just found a new CD on ebay and bought it)

hi_watt likes this.
  5. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I didn't know that one of the guitars on a band was a BASS guitar or what function it served, until a friend of mine (who played guitar) explained it to me.

telliott and hi_watt like this.
  6. Jack Flash

Jack Flash Forum Resident

I have that exact same memory!

It seemed like the song would go on forever and ever, and get weirder and weirder. I always fell asleep to it, and I thought it played all night long.

I used to listen to KHJ AM when I was a kid, and they always played it at night. Nights In White Satin, too. I thought that one was spooky also, and about 5 hours long. That one grew to be one of my favourite songs.

hi_watt and supermd like this.
  7. tremspeed

tremspeed Well-Known Member

Speaking of Cream, in "White Room" I always thought they were calling someone a "dickhead" instead of "platform ticket."

Scratcha, drivingfrog and hi_watt like this.
  8. Jack Flash

Jack Flash Forum Resident

I used to think a woman sang "Jackie Blue" by the Ozark Mountain Daredevils. I pictured her really pretty, too. o_O

telliott and hi_watt like this.
  9. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

"Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds." I thought it was about a girl named Lucy who was in the sky with diamonds.

OldSoul and daveidmarx like this.
  10. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

There were a lot of songs that were blatantly about sex and/or drugs that I didn't quite pick up on.

11. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

When I was about 11 in the late 60s there was a hit song called "The Son of Hickory Holler's Tramp" by O.C. Smith. It wasn't until a couple years ago that I realized it was about a female prostitute...always thought it was about a male tramp who was the singer's father!

Jarleboy likes this.
  12. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

When I first heard "Don't Stop" by Fleetwood Mac back in the 70's, I did not know Christine and Lindsey were trading vocal lines in that song until I saw them performing it in a live show.

ralph7109 and Peace N. Love like this.
  13. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

I thought that in addition to hosting Soul Train, Don Cornelius was a member of the Cornelius Brothers and Sister Rose, never mind that the vocals were tenor rather than bass.

14. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

As an eight-year-old, I thought it was "Eight Days A Week / is not enough to show and tell!" :shrug:

Scratcha, Jarleboy and drasil like this.
  15. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

Until fairly recently I thought the lead vocal The Edwin Hawkins Singers' "Oh Happy Day" was
    sung by Edwin Hawkins.

Jarleboy likes this.
  16. littleugly

littleugly Well-Known Member

That music is serious stuff and only fully appreciated through +10K systems in socially inept man caves.

17. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

As an adult, I re-listened to "Maryanne with the Shaky Hand" and went "ooohhh..."

Scratcha, maxnix and misterdecibel like this.
  18. MonkeyLizard

MonkeyLizard Forum Resident

When I was about 12,13 I didn't know about multi-tracked vocals. I remember being blown away, saying, "He's harmonizing with himself!!"

I also used to think that Foreigner's "Urgent" was about anal sex.

"How urgent/ butt love can be. It's urgent".

I was probably 9.

Oh yeah, and "That Smell" by Lynyrd Skynard was about farts.

Scratcha, utopiarun, Galeans and 2 others like this.
  19. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

You mean it's NOT??!!! :wtf: ;)

Scratcha, MonkeyLizard and hi_watt like this.
  20. Peace N. Love

At one point, I thought Paul McCartney sang all the Beatles songs, except Lady Madonna, which John sang. Then I got that Roy Carr and Tony Tyler book and they clued me in...

21. Logan S

Logan S Forum Resident

Uh...you were right.
    [​IMG]

22. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

That's nothing. I thought that last line was --

" Then I told you 'bout our kid / Now he's married to NATO!"

Scratcha and MonkeyLizard like this.
  23. Gilliam

Gilliam Well-Known Member

When the Stills Young song Long May You Run came out I was convinced Neil Young wrote it about his lasting friendship with Stephen Stills.
    I had no idea it was about his old car until many years later.

24. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I thought it was "dull surprise" too. What the hell would that mean? Who would want a "dull surprise?"

25. Peace N. Love

Dare I even mention "Nothin' to Lose" by KISS?