Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion - Come Dance with Me (released 1959)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by serge, Nov 15, 2009.

1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I think @MMM can. He once posted (maybe in a different forum???) the original photo. (The photo, by the way, is heavily doctored on the cover. In the original photo, which was taken in Capitol Studio A, the background consists of a bunch of mic stands pushed up against the wall! They did a great job in 1959 of [pre-]Photoshopping that one.)

2. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

You have to pay to get it without the watermark, but the source photo is at MPTV:

—> http://www.mptvimages.com/photo_detail#0337_1469

[​IMG]

Related images:

—> http://www.mptvimages.com/photo_detail#0337_1470
    —> http://www.mptvimages.com/photo_detail#0337_1501
    —> http://www.mptvimages.com/photo_detail#0337_1502

AztecChimera likes this.
  3. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Found one online without a watermark:
    Frank-Sinatra5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2015
  4. MLutthans

Either I was misremembering about a "bunch of mic stands" OR there's a wider shot of that somewhere. I'm guessing it's just my feeble brain playing tricks on my again/still.

Just for comparison:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. AztecChimera

AztecChimera Forum Resident

Thanks for the pic gents. I'm having a Frank (and Billie) 100 party and this is the perfect pic for the front of the invitation :agree:.

6. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Any chance the reissue lp coming out in July(?) will correct the issue with "Saturday Night" and also surpass the sq of the hd download?

Seems I recall that the "In The Wee Small Hours" reissue lp was some better than the download.

Maybe we will get lucky?

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  7. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

I havent read this entire thread but @MLutthans ...

How does the new hi-res download compare to the Walsh remix?

8. MLutthans

9. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

I bought the HD download. I like it a lot. I prefer it to the Walsh remix (issues aside). Itll be my go-to digital version. I also own the 1984 Dell LP box set. That is my go-to vinyl version.

10. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

rxcory, MMM, Simon A and 1 other person like this.
  11. akbg

akbg Forum Resident

I have D9/D10 stereo pressing and if I remember correctly it had the slight echo bleeding to the right channel. I've noticed this at my first listening, but have not found that to be distracting. I accepted it for what it is. To my ears all of these Capitol stereo pressings I have from about '58-'60 possess certain sound qualities which are quite similar and not necessarily in a bad sense. At least, they're not "in your face", sound is delicate, they manage to capture the acoustic instruments well and they do not sound overprocessed.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  12. MLutthans

The new 2015 LP (just out) has this same goofy mix as the HD version (and 1984 "Dell" LP, but not the Dell CD) on Saturday Night.

I'm still with @MMM on this one: The SM- and SN-series LPs from the 70s/80s (SN reused the SM stampers, at least on my SN copy) remain the "go-to" versions for the stereo mixes.

MMM likes this.
  13. MLutthans

Here's a pic from @AxeD of the 2015 label:
    cDWM2015LabelAxeD.jpg
    That's not the correct original label, right? Should have the text running vertically, not the spire.

EDIT: Here's my D4 pressing's label:
    DSC_0032.jpg

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
    Bob Belvedere, rxcory and Bob F like this.
  14. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Right. Your D4 above is the original label.

MLutthans likes this.
  15. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

The ZW reel for this album sounds fantastic!

Simon A and MLutthans like this.
  16. MLutthans

Thanks to @AxeD , we now have DR readings for the new 2015 LP (along with other versions already calculated):
    Screen shot 2015-07-13 at 12.28.28 AM.png
    (Reminder: Track 7 is that weird/defective mix on the 2015 HD and 2015 LP versions).

17. MLutthans

Three "Saturday Night" clips, in this order:
    1. New 2015 LP, courtesy @AxeD (uses the same "mystery mix" as the 1984 UK LP, with the left panned in, etc.)
    2. c. 1961 ZW reel (circa 1960[?] full-width mix with nice bass levels, IMO)
    3. c. 1973 SM-series LP (circa 1960[?] full-width mix, widest dynamics, not quite as much bass)

Listen here: https://app.box.com/s/jxvu0yyb1t6ic4wngvk1n10ix8uwkoej

rxcory and Bob Belvedere like this.
  18. Does anyone know where I can get this new LP in the UK? Amazon UK hasn't got it.

19. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

So strange that it's available in the US and Germany, but not in the UK. Some sort of distribution problem? My suggestion would be patience. It's bound to show up soon. (FWIW, Amazon Canada doesn't have it yet either, but they're showng a July 24 release date.)

Of related interest, can German buyers confirm that the EU LP comes with a hi-res download voucher from Universal Music? I'm assuming that (as with past releases) this is not the case in the US.

Bob Belvedere likes this.
  20. MLutthans

For the 2009 reissue, they got the label right:
    R-3108041-1416707750-9137.jpeg.jpg

MMM likes this.
  21. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Well that stinks. Was hoping for more from the 2015 lp.

22. I'd simply be happy with the 2015 LP if it was flat but looking at the video at least one copy isn't. That's not a good omen. The last few UMe's I've picked up weren't great either. I'd go for the earlier (used) pressings but I don't trust the gradings given by retailers and sealed does not always mean un-used / unplayed either. I've been caught a couple of times with re-seals. The US and Germany seem to be the worst affected territories.

23. MLutthans

Some of you guys must buy from shady characters or something. I buy from recordsbymail.com or birkajazz or eil (and I buy a lot of Sinatra/Cole from these guys), and I've never had anything even slightly below the rating, and find that the typical "NM" could pass as "brand-spankin' new" most of the time. Discogs? I've had a couple of duds over the years from the independent sellers there, but guess what? Once I get a dud from a seller, I tell them I got a dud, I typically get a refund, and I never buy from them again.

With a modicum of patience, the "good stuff" will be found from reliable sellers, properly rated, at least in my experience.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  24. If most sellers on eBay and Discogs are indeed "shady" then I agree with you. I can't be the only person who has terrible luck buying online. I never buy anything rated less then NM and yet from about 25-30 different sellers over the past 5 years, dealing on eBay, Discogs and private online sites, I have received a near "perfect run" of poor LP's. Of course, I never buy from the same dodgy seller twice but that makes little difference as in my experience they're all the same! One recent example: a "NM" LP on Discogs described as being in seal but opened was actually a rather shelf worn sleeve in cellophone and the LP was scratched in 3 places. I did accept a partial refund. I'm sorry but from my own personal experience all second-hand LP retailers are flea bags. I also always tell the sellers about the duds and their responses are invariably (pathetic) the same: "Oh, sorry about that, I am usually spot on with gradings but we all make mistakes at times". Yeah, right.

25. MLutthans

Well, sorry to hear about that, but there are some very good, honest sellers out there. Recordsbymail.com (for instance) is utterly beyond reproach and the grading is spot-on.

No doubt there are some problems to be found when buying online, though, but that said, I buy a pretty large amount of records via online sellers, and the number of duds has been very small -- and I'm pretty finicky about that stuff!

Better luck in the future, eh?

McLover likes this.