Yes - Tormato*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BryanA-HTX, Jul 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor Thread Starter

I don't think I've seen an album hated as much as this one in a while. Not only do I like the album, I might just be the only person on the planet that likes this one more than Going for the One, which I always felt was overrated. But first of all let's just leave that aside for now, am I the only one that just plain likes the album? Haha

2. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

No. You're not the only one. Me as well...

3. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

...and me, I've said it several times on this forum. I liked it then and like it know.

4. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I like the music. I don't like the cover.

5. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Half a good album (Future Times/Rejoice, Release Release, On The Silent Wings Of Freedom).

Ken.e., ArpMoog, RAZORMADE and 14 others like this.
  6. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

very uneven record that doesnt have a nice flow. enjoy the bonus tracks on 2004 rhino release

chrisblower and kevinsponge like this.
  7. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I do like them both but I think Tormato has better singles and Going for the One is a better record end-to-end. Tormato gets a bit dull in places and I haven't noticed that as much with Going for the One, which I tend to always listen to straight through. Each to their own though of course.

ArpMoog, RangerXT and footlooseman like this.
  8. nightstand68

nightstand68 Forum Resident

Love the album, right along with Drama.

9. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I like it other than Circus of Heaven

Rojo likes this.
  10. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

I don't hate it. But I don't like it very much either. Part of the issue is that what preceded it was so awesome. Several perfect or near perfect albums. At least 3 by my count.

Tormato was the first release that saw them, imo, floundering and making some very human missteps.

The worst that can be said about previous albums was maybe Tales was way too indulgent and didn't have enough tunefuleness to it. But some people rate Tales very highly for the same reasons, although they wouldn't say indulgent, tuneless but ambitious and really giving themselves a chance to stretch out.

Tormato, by comparison, seems a bit half baked. Arriving UFO is a good example. Really has the foundation to be much better song, imo. But it just kind of lays there, all revved up with nowhere to go.

FTR, I really like Don't Kill the Whale.

11. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Everything about it (from the album cover to the music) is terrible.

apb and Crimson jon like this.
  12. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

It's not very good, but rest assured there are many albums that are much more hated.

Norbert Becker, Say It Right and ARK like this.
  13. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

I like the record, but not the mix. The keys and some of Howe's parts seem to lay on top of, instead of inside, the songs.
    The songs are decent.

14. Tuco

Tuco Senior Member

I very much like about half of the album, and I don't hate the other half.

RunHomeSlow and Smartin62 like this.
  15. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

I'd say it is a bit uneven but still it has enough good tracks to recommend it ...

I've always especially liked Future Times/Rejoice. I only have this on LP and my turntable is not working at the moment. All of a sudden I have the urge to hear the whole album.

Drat.

16. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

It is not a bad album IMO but you have to like Jon's style of writing to really love it. I don't like his style most of the time when he does not collaborate. Howe/Anderson compositions IMO are the pinnacle of Yes. Going For the One has possibly their most unique tune in Awaken.
    I don't like the sound of the album or the arrangements that much.

17. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I like it. No hatred here.

Crimson Witch, Svetonio and DiabloG like this.
  18. zen

zen Senior Member

I've never run into anybody who "hated it." Internet chat rooms however....you can find hate on any subject.

19. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I know there are good songs there amidst the muck.

Smartin62 likes this.
  20. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

Like a lot of the music but the lyrics are really corny. I never minded Jon's lyrics before but Circus, Arriving UFO, etc.. are pretty lame. And the production is horrible. Has a demo quality about it. And of course those synth tones aren't the best either. But I still enjoy hearing it once in awhile.

21. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Yeah, it has it's strong moments, but it also amps up the cheese factor on tracks like "Circus of Heaven" and "Arriving UFO" and Anderson's lyrics crossed over from hippy to just plain dippy here. Not a disaster but definitely a step down from their peak in the 70s.

ArpMoog, audiotom, tedhead and 2 others like this.
  22. zen

zen Senior Member

I would have agreed 37 years ago, but in recent years, I even like those tracks.

Crimson Witch and danielbravo like this.
  23. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

I never had an issue with it and think it's as good as Going For The One. Both albums are eclipsed by Drama and 90125 though.

altaeria, DiabloG and davers like this.
  24. Smartin62

Smartin62 Forum Resident

Hey ... that's what I was going to say. :laughup:

That said, I do like it better now than when it first came out. (btw, I didn't like Going For The One at all when it first came out and it is now my favorite Yes album - go figure).

Sandinista likes this.
  25. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

Always liked it. Never understood its lesser status.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.