Yes - Tormato*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BryanA-HTX, Jul 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zen

zen Senior Member

In a nutshell, the cover art.

rogertheshrubber likes this.
  2. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

I like it overall but it IS very uneven and I can understand the disappointment that most fans felt after the magnificent six albums between 1971 and 1977.

I actually don't mind the cover art. It's not on the same level as Roger Dean's work but it's interesting in it's own way.

audiotom and Sandinista like this.
  3. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I give it a 4 or 5. However, if played directly after The Yes Album, Fragile, or Close to the Edge...it's a 0.

audiotom and Gavinyl like this.
  4. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

It's funny how it takes such a beating but I never took issue with the cover art. I get it could be a shock or something for fans expecting the surreal Roger Dean landscapes. In hindsight, perhaps the cover is seen by some as a symbol of the transition/uncertainty the band was going through - I'm not a Yes expert but I think there was some turmoil with the guys in and around this album - or maybe it was just aftershocks from Tales.

5. KariK

KariK Forum Resident

Nothing wrong with the cover art.

6. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

I like it but don't love it. Wakemans keyboard sound on this record is horrible imo- listen to his solo on OTSWOF- just cheesy. And I just love everything else about that tune. On the flip side, I thought Squire was doing some real cool things bass-wise, on this record.

7. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

I've always liked it. It's just different is all...

sound chaser and danielbravo like this.
  8. Pennywise

Pennywise Forum Resident

I liked it a lot at the time, but I rarely play it now. It didn't withstand the test of time for me. I've always liked Circus of Heaven. :)

9. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

Tormato is one of my favorite Yes albums. I find something to like about every song except for Circus, which even I consider to be cringe-inducing. Future Times/Rejoice and Silent Wings are some of my favorite Yes tracks! And yes, I too prefer Tormato to Going for the One... a lot :hide:. I don't know why, but GFTO never really clicked with me. The only full songs that I like are the title track and Parallels, while I only like the first few minutes of Awaken. The other songs just don't do it for me. I hope that I still qualify as a Yes fan even though I don't really enjoy what many consider to be their greatest album :shrug:

All IMHO, of course!

10. jazz8588

jazz8588 Forum Resident

Love this album especially the rocky on the silent wings of freedom with solid rock bass from the late great Chris Squire.

danielbravo likes this.
  11. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

But do you dig it?

12. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Tormato isn't a hideous album. But it's such a letdown compared to Going for the One, which came before. GFTO has the excellent title track and then side two, Wondrous Stories and Awaken, which IMHO is the best album side Yes ever did. Tormato has a bunch of songs that aren't quite as good at the title track of GFTO, and none that are as good as either song on side two of that album.

audiotom likes this.
  13. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

Waiting for the *&#@*in' poll to make my final decision.

14. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

Like you, I like a lot "Tormato". Just not as much as Going For The One (which I love)
    I never did not understand because many people do not like. I'm not so purist as to be considered "formally bad", perhaps after a great album like Going For The One may seem to some a bump, but I find it very interesting as me ... I like album in its entirety.

Sincerely my first aversion for one Yes album formally began with 90125 and ends with the same

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  15. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Ugiest album cover ever, combined with a stupid title.

Remember how many copies of this were in the cutout bin? I used to see rows and rows and rows of this album for $1.99 and even less.

16. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I think it was shipped as a cut-out. :sigh:

17. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

I like it more than gfto, relayer, tales and drama. Cool album although synth could be better

18. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

Lots of people seem to dislike the cover art. I thought the Tormato and GFTO covers were a nice change.
    But then, I never much cared for the Dean covers. Well, I liked them when I was around 12 or 13.
    Fragile is ok because it actually makes a point, but the rest....meh. Just not my thing. Even the naked male a** on GFTO is better than most Dean covers.

I'm not disparaging anyone else's tastes, I'm just stating my own.

19. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

Big YES fan here. That being said...

Forgettable tunes, bad production, stupid artwork. A couple of the songs are okay, but when you're YES, you're held up to a certain standard. Tormato misses the mark on all counts.

audiotom, vinylphile, Steve B and 6 others like this.
  20. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

I like the album a lot also...there are some production things that are a tad annoying....and some keyboard patches chosen by Wakeman. I think the guitar and bass playing are pretty good...but then again...the mixing gets a tad electro-cloudy...

21. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

for some reason it makes me want to watch Attack of the Killer Tomatoes

pantofis likes this.
  22. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

Love it.

Fantatic drumming througout, btw.

gsmile likes this.
  23. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

I mean the concept of a "tormato" is so compelling that it doesn't invite ridicule at all. Who could hate that? The follow up should have been "shark sandwich," or perhaps "sex farm."

LivingForever, vinylphile and ARK like this.
  24. What he said.

25. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor Thread Starter

So how are you a big Yes fan again? :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.