'Bojack Horseman' New Series on Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by profholt82, Aug 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

I finished off the season last night, and I really enjoyed it. It definitely goes into some dark places, but I also think that's what separates it from the typical animated comedy. Looking forward to Season 2.

bpmd1962 likes this.
  2. George P

George P Notable Member

They have one, "hey, aren't you Bojack Horseman?"

3. beatlematt

beatlematt Forum Resident

I guess you could say that Bojack is a real dark horse of a series.

goodiesguy, Strummergas and George P like this.
  4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

BoJack Horseman returns for a 12 episode 2nd season on Friday, July 17.

drasil and George P like this.
  5. George P

George P Notable Member

Awesome!!! :goodie:

drasil likes this.
  6. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Fantastic new season! Seen seven eps so far and they've all been high quality, funny and clever. Great satire, character development and lots of funny animal attribute based humor. And a star studded list of guest stars. :righton:

profholt82 likes this.
  7. George P

George P Notable Member

:goodie:

I plan to start watching today!

8. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard Thread Starter

I'm glad it's back for another season. The latter half of the first season really became much more of a dramedy as it got darker, and I found that I became emotionally invested in the characters which is very rare for me with television shows. Looking forward to watching the new season.

drasil likes this.
  9. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Seen them all. What a terrific season - not a dud episode amongst the lot. In fact, I thought that season 2 was much better then season 1, which is high praise. Each episode is jam-packed with gags and references, some so subtle they may not register (there was a scene with talk about ancient Egypt and the pyramids and there was a background walk-on scene with someone moving a nondescript stone which happened to be the Rosetta stone. The show is densely packed with such details. What's more, the show had more character development and insight than most live action series. Loved it.

10. profholt82

11. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

George P likes this.
  12. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

hehehe yup and it sure was a "surprise."

my wife got me into this show last year and it is quite good. I particularly love Patton Oswalt's "Pinky Penguin" who sadly barely makes an appearance in season 2. I think my one beef with Bojack in general is Paul F. Tompkins. I just don't find the guy funny and his character is just Paul F. Tompkins doing himself. Other than that, I love everybody else.

13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I don't know who Paul F. Tompkins is, so I don't have a problem with that. But in any case, I don't think Bojack is meant to be funny, as such, more of a flawed, satirical type of figure that's the glue for the ensemble characters.

14. motionoftheocean

chronically unfunny comedian who voices the character "Mr. Peanutbutter."

and Will Arnett is hilarious

15. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Ah okay, I got the the names mixed up (I don't know either outside of the show), but as far as Mr Peanutbutter goes, I do find his character kinda funny and likable.

16. George P

George P Notable Member

17. George P

George P Notable Member

The comment about crying when he's told that he's going out, but then isn't taken out is pretty funny.

18. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yeah, there are quite a few of those animal-specific jokes...who's a good boy, who's a good boy.

19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Good news - BoJack Horseman has been renewed for a third season of 12 episodes, and will premiere next year.

Strummergas and George P like this.
  20. motionoftheocean

21. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I just finished the first season, and I really like it. Very dark, and very adult for a cartoon, yet enjoyable.

Pretty funny that Aaron Paul is unable to avoid typecasting, even in a cartoon that he executive produces. He voices an aimless slacker that sort of falls prey to an older and manipulative person.

Does it bother anyone else that Bojack has a large swimming pool on his deck, yet there's nothing underneath to support it? Like, when you see a wide shot of his house on the hillside in the beginning, the deck isn't thick enough to house a normal swimming pool.

Yeah, I know, it's a cartoon...

drasil likes this.
  22. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Seven eps into season 3 and I'm loving it! I have to marvel at how they manage to keep the consistent high quality going now three seasons in a row.

There are just so many clever scenes, even blink-and-you'll-miss-them sight gags happening in the background. It's just packed with clever observations.

So far (and I doubt it will be topped in the remaining eps) is the underwater episode, with nary a word spoken. Just brilliant. A very close second was the abortion episode - outstanding satire.

Can't wait to see the remaining five eps!

Rocker likes this.
  23. George P

George P Notable Member

OMG!!

I didn't even know there was a season 3!! :goodie:

Thanks for the reminder, @Deesky!!

24. profholt82

Damn! You didn't waste any time did you? I remembered the new season was supposed to start soon, but I didn't realize it was today. I plan on binging on a few this weekend. :righton:

25. George P

George P Notable Member

A few seasons?

;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.