Joy Division. 2015 RHINO Anniversary vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimhb, May 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

Yeah originally I was at like 11 pounds I think

2. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

3. ianbrown21

ianbrown21 Forum Resident

I have the new Substance reissue on. It rules, dead silent, flat pressing. What a beautiful compilation.

B1 She’s Lost Control
    B2 Incubation
    B3 Dead Souls
    B4 Atmosphere
    B5 Love Will Tear Us Apart

Sides do not get better then that.

4. Pancat

Pancat Senior Member

I've given you a 'like' but I'm really jealous. Over here amazon don't ship until 31st July. Grrr!

5. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Amazon US states 2010 remasters for this new comp- derived from the plus-minus campaign, hows the sound on those?

6. ianbrown21

Thats true, I have a sticker on mine saying that. I don't do DR numbers and I wouldn't claim to be a sound expert but sounded great to my ears.

c-eling likes this.
  7. ianbrown21

Canada got a release before UK ? That has to be a first. Well no worries, it's worth the wait.

Pancat likes this.
  8. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Thanks Ian, on the fence, My old US Qwest disc sounds great, I see these masters will be available hi-rez, so I may just grab the bonus from Qobuz, unless of course someone convinces me otherwise :D

9. Mr.Sneis

Mr.Sneis Forum Resident

"New music Fridays" boo!

10. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Does the live portion of Still reissue include the bonus track from the concert not on the cd (I think it was 24 Hours)?

11. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Both the Rhino 2007 and Warner Europe 2015 vinyl reissues have it.
    Ironically, the none of the pressings on any format from any year list it on the sleeve.
    Including the original Japan 2 disc set!

JeffMo likes this.
  12. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

Still is such a strange compilation. It's probably the album I go to the least. It's got great songs, no doubt, but seems kind of scattershot and less coherent than the Substance comp. I think I've heard every live recording of the band and the show on Still was an odd choice. Sure it was their last concert ever, which gives it a certain something, but nowhere near their best show.

13. andres lira

andres lira Forum Resident

How does the gatefold looks? Can you post some pics please?

14. TokenGesture

TokenGesture Forum Resident

Anyone got the HDTracks DL?

15. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I spotted a 2007 remastered, sealed Rhino 180grs copy of ¨Closer¨ at a record store in Buenos Aires in June. It was priced U$ 35. What's the difference with the one that's about to be reissued ?

16. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

The version that I got here in the US is not a gatefold, but rather a single sleeve with the two LPs in poly-lines sleeves, and also including printed inner sleeves.

17. andres lira

Thanks, I thought i read somewhere (really vague i know) that it was going to be a gatefold. I suppose one of the inners is a replica of the original, what's in the other?

18. ianbrown21

No Gatefold. 2lps, single sleeve. About as plain as you can get.

19. ianbrown21

Mine did not even come in poly liner sleeves, the records were just inside the printed sleeves.

20. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I've still been seeing the 2007 vinyl here in the US, too. In one case right alongside the 2015 vinyl.

From what I can tell, the 2015 LPs for Unknown Pleasures, Closer, and Still, are just straight represses of the 2007 vinyl. It's very easy to tell them apart based on the stickers on the shrink-wrap, though.

Substance is a mastering from I think 2010(?), but it's the first time the full album has ever been pressed on vinyl. The album originally came out on LP, but it was a truncated, single-disc version of the track listing.

The Pinhead likes this.
  21. Inertiatic-Wrist

Inertiatic-Wrist Forum Resident

22. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Can't see the price without an account. What is the price for each bundle?

23. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Thanx:edthumbs:; I'll stick to my non-remastered CD version of that one, which I love. Just I thought It'd be cool to replace my non-remastered Closer (lost to a sticky-fingered MF) for the remastered vinyl version.

c-eling likes this.
  24. andres lira

From the pictures at Popmarket they look like gatefolds, it even says that they replicate them but probably they are just refering to Still.

25. Black Stripes

Black Stripes Forum Resident

Hello to all of you, this is my first posting. I've been lurking for quite a while. Have found very much useful information around here, thank you for that!

To my understanding the 2015 editions are not straight represses. As mentioned here before they have been newly cut by Frank Arkwright at Abbey Road. Obviously the EU version of Substance have been pressed by Optimal in Germany according to the discogs entry, so I would assume the other ones as well. I don't think the 2007 ones have been pressed there.
    The audio sources being the 2007 remasters though. To me it seems a little confusing whether it is sourced analog or digital. While the 2007 editions mentioned explicitly "remastered from the original master tapes" on the sticker on the shrinkwrap, the 2015 editions do not. Most record labels proudly state about that. Have hi-res digital files been used for cutting the 2015 editions?

Has anybody purchased any copy of the 2015 editions yet? I would love to hear about those as I'm thinking of buying them.

marcfeld69 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.