What's the speed of your turntable?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TVC15, Jul 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Hmm I tried now listening between the Edward blue and Rega white and I believe you are right. Specially on acoustic guitars and pianos I heard some issues but never thought the belt could be the problem in terms of wow/flutter. Changed to the Rega white now and will keep it there for now.

iPhone 6 weigh 129g
    iPhone 6+ weigh 172g

As I understand it it's not the weigh that is the factor. It's the needle dragging in the groove which will slow down the speed a bit after a minute or two. Maybe this is fact with some tables and some not depending on the construction. Rega maybe use weaker motors etc so they need to have it spinning a bit faster without "load" than many others.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  2. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, I test a small but inconsequential speed reduction from 'stylus drag'.

Using Platterspeed (with the additional DIN 386 measurements) I see about double the wow/flutter using the Edwards belts vs. the white belts. Further, the RP8/10 measures more stable with one versus two belts. So I'm not sure the point of using two belts other than gimmickry.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2015
  3. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Any ideas on why the Edward belt cause that?

4. RONENRAY

RONENRAY Forum Resident

I have used the rpm app with 2 different smart phones , and i found 2 different readings ! ??
    Maybe the weight of the phones ? (+- 20gr.)

bru87tr likes this.
  5. Hoping to get it up to 34 by the end of summer. :tiphat:

6. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Put on Got Live If You Want It. That should help get you there

Mazzy likes this.
  7. Good point. I'm going to take a dollar bin record and play it with the iPhone on top taking the measurement (after letting the table warm up for a few minutes). Now to find a crappy record to test this out.

And I just weighed my iPhone 6 - 125g without case, 160g with case. I'll have the case off for my test.

It would be interesting to use this app in an audio store when purchasing a turntable.

8. I put my iPhone 6 on a record and it was the exact same speed as without one. It wasn't a crappy record either. Doesn't hurt it

Shawn likes this.
  9. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

Was pleased to see my Music Hall MMF-7 with the Music Hall Cruise Control 2 measured at 45.01 RPM on the 45 setting according to Turntabulator.

10. jazz8588

jazz8588 Forum Resident

Nominal 33 and a third:)

11. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I never thought of testing the speed with my stylus running throught the grooves. It was nice too see that the KAB strobe disc allowed enough room for the stylus to play throught track one. I was able to dial in the speed using the SDS. Dead on 33.33.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  12. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

Made a few adjustments and rechecked with an LP playing. Pretty good!

[​IMG]

13. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I just discovered that moving the belt to the top of the spindle on the motor brought the speed to 33.4 from 33.6.

Vpi classic

14. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

The music produced was at the speed of sound...

PearlJamNoCode likes this.
  15. TVC15

Yes, that's the point of the different placement options. To dial in the speed mechanically.

16. TVC15

More variance in belt diameter compared to the white belt.

17. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I would also add that having the record, center and outer clamp on as the table is design to operate changes the measurement.

18. kman

kman Forum Resident

All I can say is that the iPhone app turntabulator helped me realize that the demo Rega rp1 that I just got was not operating properly
    The app read 32.7 which is slow and I was noticing it being slow on some of my music
    So I took the sub platter off and realized that it did not have much oil and the ball bearing was missing
    I fixed all of that and now it is running at 33.40 which is much closer to 33.33

Dennis0675 and SteelyNJ like this.
  19. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

How did you adjust your speed?

20. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

33 1/3 and 45 rpm with strobe adjust.

21. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

Turntabulator is not running anymore on my iPhone 6. It starts measuring, says wait... then it displays INTERUPTD and that's all. Is it working on your phones???

22. jcmusic

jcmusic Forum Resident

I run my Scoutmaster using the SDS and it is dead on!!!

Long Live Analog likes this.
  23. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

It works on my iPod just now.

Jimi Floyd likes this.
  24. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

Using the PlatterSpeed app on my Samsung Tab S2, I recently adjusted speed to hit 3150Hz as close as possible with a test LP....It does not give me RPM report other than real time, unless I don't see how to run that report?? Also don't know how to capture image off the Tab S2......I know dweeb I am :) But here is the results image.
    Music Hall mmf-7.1 table, using Music Hall Cruise Control 2.0

[​IMG]

25. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I switched from a Samsung Galaxy to an iPhone 6s. Both my tables measured a little fast on the galaxy and now they are dead on balls accurate as measured with the iPhone. Perhaps the belts loosened in the past five months but I think the phone was the difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.