Unfunny Comedies?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by driverdrummer, Jul 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. svoegtlin

svoegtlin Forum Resident

Anyone remember this stinking pile of crap? Another baffling, humorless film from some really talented folks

SomeCallMeTim and guy incognito like this.
  2. svoegtlin

svoegtlin Forum Resident

Of.. and speaking of Chevy Chase..

3. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident Thread Starter

4. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

Some Like It Hot is OK, not the laugh-a-thon I hoped for. But Dazed and Confused I cannot agree with you more. Maybe I was born too late but if that is what the 70s were like I am glad I missed them. I never cracked one smile ... once.

SomeCallMeTim and Captain Groovy like this.
  5. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

I confess to liking this movie.

6. jackson123

jackson123 Forum Resident

Anything with Will Farrell. I really loathe that guy, never did understand how he got so famous.

7. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I finally watched "The Hangover" movie. :faint: It even managed to make the very funny Zack Galifinakas look bad.

8. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

I tend to agree, but I think he's given a few pretty good performances. He's always reminded me of your high school or college buddy who thinks HE'S funny.

goodiesguy and Benno123 like this.
  9. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

"The Campaign" With Ferrell and Galifianakis. I was hoping it would be good since parts were shot on my street, but it was atrocious. I can't even put it on to say "there's my house" because of the filthy language used for nothing but shock value. .

driverdrummer likes this.
  10. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I win.

mr. steak, DLD, svoegtlin and 2 others like this.
  11. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Daewoo Lanos bit was not bad, IMO... ;)

blind_melon1 likes this.
  12. Sathington Willoughby

Sathington Willoughby Well-Known Member

Boo! I don't think Dazed and Confused was really meant to be a laugh-riot, more of a nostalgic film. One of my all-time favorites. (And I wasn't alive in the 70's either, I'm 30)

13. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Austin Powers International Man of Mystery. The character is fantastic but the first film is a load of rubbish. The 'who's the boss of number twos? ' bit is the worst moment of cinema in the last 50 years.

SomeCallMeTim, Miriam and Strummergas like this.
  14. I thought Bridesmaids was OK, but at a minimum it was wickedly overrated. It's just a straight-up chick flick with added profanity and scat humour.

15. Part of the reason might be that it's not a comedy.
    It certainly mirrored my junior high/high school experience in many ways, and my teens were in the '80s.

16. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

Anything with Jim Carrey

17. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

Except 'The Truman Show'

jerol

poe_man, DLD and AndrewS like this.
  18. ganma

ganma Senior Member

'Robin Hood Men in Tights'. That's the only movie I ever walked out on.

poe_man and DLD like this.
  19. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Yeah, I think you were born too late.

I'm really not sure it's as much a comedy as it is about a slice of teenage life in middle America in the mid-70s. Some things were slightly over the top just a tad, but lot of it was how it was. The cruelty with the hazing, the older creep hanging out with the high school kids, vandalizing mailboxes and cars, smoking dope, drinking beer and getting into fights at the local hangout, pondering the meaning of life...all true.

The difference in my school is that the hazing took place during the first semester of the year at school, and select individual kids were targeted/bullied constantly.

Location may have varied, but, as a teenager in the mid-70s, I love to critique TV shows and movies that are set during that era to see how accurate they get things. One TV show I always applaud for accuracy is "The Wonder Years", and, for fashion, cars, houses and furnishings: The Brady Bunch. 100% accurate.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
    Saint Johnny and Fullbug like this.
  20. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Both of these - Pineapple Express and Your Highness - were very funny. I think some of you people just don't like modern comedies at all. Are there any current ones that you do like?

Kossoff is God likes this.
  21. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

That's a great film, although I never thought of it as a comedy, to be honest. Definitely my favorite Jim Carrey movie, to date.

22. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Lot of hate for Chevy Chase here, but enjoy 'Fletch' + Vacation series especially "Christmas" - am I missing something, is it because he's a *********?

23. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I think you're right. I usually avoid comedies cause 99% of them I just don't find funny. Horrible Bosses is the only fairly recent one that comes to mind that I enjoyed.

sound chaser likes this.
  24. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

This is precisely why I found the movie unfunny. With few exceptions, I find the ever-increasing need for obligatory profanity and gross-out humor to be a lazy way to get cheap laughs. There's not really a whole lot of thought that goes into it.

25. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Agree, is '2' any good?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.