Joy Division. 2015 RHINO Anniversary vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimhb, May 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dumaisaudio

dumaisaudio Forum Resident

Picked up Substance from my local shop this morning. It's not gatefold. It comes with two printed inners, one replicating the original, and another with a different but similar image. Mine also had the records inside of separate polylined inners, not the printed inners.

I'm starting with the second disc, and so far, it's dead quiet. I should also note, since many seem to talk about the quality of Rhino pressings, that my copy has no warp or off center issues whatsoever, perfect copy.

andres lira likes this.
  2. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident Thread Starter

There was a bootleg of Substance that came out a year ago. I didn't but it, but it looked really nice for a bootleg. I do not think it was a gatefold.

3. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident Thread Starter

Still and Substance are $49.99. Popmarket doesn't seem to have a discount code right now.

4. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

And the UP/Closer bundle? Thanks!

jimhb likes this.
  5. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

There is something even more chilling though, given that. Not that these songs needed more emotional oomph mind you...

It has my favorite version of "Passover", tape glitch and all.

6. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

So does anybody have reviews on the SQ of Substance?

7. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

FYI, I just ordered Substance from Music Direct for $29.99.

8. K. Jones

K. Jones Forum Resident

Elusive disc has the same price right now too.

9. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

Says 2010 remastered versions for Substance on Amazon UK, are these remasters decent?

10. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident

I picked up a copy of that on green vinyl, and I thought it sounded pretty darn good. I've nothing to compare it to, but the presentation was very nice indeed, and vinyl is well-pressed, centered and quiet. I'm happy with that edition, the packaging even looks better (from the outside, anyway...) than the new reissues.

11. markaberrant

markaberrant Forum Resident

My copy of Substance arrived today, ordered from Amazon.ca for $19.49 US. Haven't had a chance to open it up and play it yet, but looks good, and price was amazing.

12. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

thanks for this tip -- shipping to the US was a bit pricey, but it still worked out to be a discount overall.

13. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

I can understand searching out original copies of the albums as they were all analog from what I understand. But Substance on the original vinyl was digitally sourced (and truncated) so there is no reason not to buy the reissue if you don't have a vinyl copy, correct?

marcfeld69 likes this.
  14. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

More than likely and why I'm just sticking with my old Qwest cd
    Edit:I was just looking at my New Order Substance vinyl transfer, I recorded it @96 and there is no sharp cut off on some of the earlier tracks, Blue Monday is cut just over 20k, Was the original Joy Division Substance a digital to vinyl?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  15. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Does anyone know where these 2015 U.S. editions are pressed? Is it Rainbo like a lot of Rhino stuff or did they use some other plant? Just curious.

16. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

I picked up Substance and Still and both of mine had poly lined sleeves for the LPs and original inners as well. The inners for Still are just plain grey. Kind of odd that they added them in there, imo. But nice to have those plain grey originals I guess?

I have played both sets and have zero complaints. The vinyl sides are all perfectly flat and quiet. Not one pop or click right out of the sleeves. I've never had either of these on vinyl before so I was quite pleased to add them to my collection.

jimhb likes this.
  17. willboy

willboy Forum Resident

My copy of Substance arrived from Amazon this morning. My only (minor) complaints are slight damage to one corner of the outer sleeve and no poly lined inners. Other than that I can't fault a thing; Both pressings are clean and flat without a single pop or click. I've never heard the original vinyl for comparison, but if it betters this then it must be something else as this thing sounds fantastic to my ears be it digitally recorded or not. Five stars and a gold tick to Frank Arkwright, the pressing plant and Rhino Records for this one...second thoughts - think I'll deduct the gold tick from Rhino due to the absence of poly lined inners with my copy. :)

c-eling likes this.
  18. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Doesn't surprise me, Frank did a fantastic job on Electronics 2015 S/T vinyl :)

JeffMo likes this.
  19. BawBag

BawBag Forum Resident

I bought the vinyl of Substance today. I had the cassette back in the day for the extra tracks so was looking forward to getting this album again.

Anyone else had an issue with the download code, though? I entered the code on Rhino's "This Is Vinyl Collector" site and get taken to a page that says 'Your Downloads" and nothing else. I've sent a request but, never, having had an issue with Rhino before I don't know how good they are at responding.

20. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

Mine did not come with download codes... Region specific? Did anyone buying them in the US get download codes?

21. MoonPanda

MoonPanda Forum Resident

My US-bought copy (from Barnes & Noble) had no download code. I don't think we got them in the US.

BeardedSteven likes this.
  22. Pancat

Pancat Senior Member

You were right, man. Worth the wait.

ianbrown21 likes this.
  23. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Forum Resident

So I discovered I had a 20% off coupon code for Popmarket, so I bought the Unknown Pleasures/Closer & Substance/Still vinyl bundles for a total of $67 shipped. I think that's a really good deal to get the complete Joy Division collection on vinyl!

JeffMo and Pancat like this.
  24. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

I just bought the original CD for 1 pence from Amazon. Sounds great.

c-eling likes this.
  25. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

Picked up earlier in Tower for the excellent price of 22 Euros. Clean and quiet though a tad too compressed for my taste, not terribly but a bit too much.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.