Best concert you've ever been to

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rachel, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Rachel

Rachel Active Member Thread Starter

About an hour ago I got back from the Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros concert. It was one of the most transcendent experiences of my life. I have been to quite a few concerts and still regularly attend concerts but have never been to anything as good as this. I enjoy the band but wouldn't say they were one of my very favorites until tonight. I liked this concert more than seeing any of my favorite contemporary bands live. The main singer was so dynamic and charismatic and the music was astounding and I was in the third row it was amazing. It got me thinking what it would be like to grow up in the 70s and all the awesome concerts I could have gone to. Which leads me to my question: what's the best concert you've ever been to? Did your opinion on this band change after seeing them live?

2. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

It really is precious to have an experience like that. I saw the band Unknown Mortal Orchestra live a couple of years ago, and the experience was fairly similar to how you described the show you saw tonight. While I liked the band's two albums (this was within a few weeks of the release of their second album) the concert was transformative for me. They're so much better and more interesting on a stage than live, and that nothing on those records in any way tipped me off to how they'd be away from a studio was the kind of experience I'd not had at a live show in probably 20 years. These sorts of shows are a bit of a bittersweet experience as they do tend to expose a lot of lesser bands in a live setting and kind of jade you, but it's still awesome. To me transformative live music is one of the best qualities of music; I don't think I'd be anywhere near the fan of music that I am without shows like the one you described above.

3. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Best concert I've ever seen (and many/most people who saw them in their prime agree) was:

Jethro Tull's "Thick as a Brick" tour.

Very close runner up was "Who's Next" tour.

4. old school

old school Senior Member

Gentle Giant ' In A Glass House Tour' at the Whiskey 1974 without a doubt the finest concert and finest musicianship I have ever experienced!
    The five band members played thirty instruments between them, never seen nothing like that from one band incredible! Gentle Giant my favorite
    Progressive band of all time magical!

5. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

6. judge56988

judge56988 New Member

7. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

The best concert I've ever been to was my second row seat for Kate Bush last year in the Hammersmith Odeon. She appeared on stage at 7:45 and it finished at about 10:50, so when you subtract the interval, she was on stage for about two and three quarter hours.
    All the high profile reviews and spoilers and discussion forums did nothing to "detract" from seeing the show unfold on stage. It was like nothing I had ever seen nor am I likely to see again, plus it earns bonus points because the woman hadn't done full concerts in 35 years, yet there she was, putting on this insanely ambitious, theatrical production.
    Her voice was incredible. There was nothing to suggest that she was out of practice or anything less than 100% comfortable on stage. Sure, she'd a lot of shows under her belt when I saw her (fifteen or so, I think), but even so. Considering she carried the weight of the production on her shoulders, she was so confident on stage, it was not natural.
    I have never seen anyone so clearly moved and genuinely appreciative of an audience. In terms of a full-on spectacle, in a (relatively) small venue, where every cent of the ticket price was writ large on stage, it was untouchable.
    Add to this the fact that the audience were incredibly respectful, and didn't take photos or sing along (apart from the closing Cloudbusting, where it was effectively obligatory), it was all pretty much perfect.

8. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Probably The Who in 1970. 10 feet from the stage. Staggering.

klockwerk, Phabes, villock and 30 others like this.
  9. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Jonathan Richman at The Roxy, 1980

10. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Hard to say. Probably Ry Cooder & David Lindley in Milan

davmar77, footlooseman and Mychkine like this.
  11. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Same for me, though I was there on I think about the 6th night. An incredible show, reduced me to tears 4 times during the night!

Chris DeVoe and Sammy Waslow like this.
  12. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

As well as the Kate Bush show I mentioned above, U2 Zoo TV at Roundhay Park in Leeds in 1993.

It was the largest show U2 had ever done at that point, and as a spectacle it was gobsmacking.

ausgraeme likes this.
  13. theshape

theshape Forum Resident

Toss up between AC/DC '09 or Iron Maiden '13. :righton:

coffeetime and fuzzface like this.
  14. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Gary Glitter at the Music Machine in Camden London, then became known as The Camden Palace. It was 1980 and Gary was by now a stranger to the charts and broke, but he gave an incredible show. the place was packed solid with punks and early new romantics, basically we were all about 11 or 12 when Gary was at his peak. Fantastic show.

My other favourite is Freddie Mercury on stage with Montserrat Caballe in Barcelona with a full orchestra and choir, watching from the side of the stage. Amazing show.

QueenVault likes this.
  15. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

Adrian Belew's Power Trio in Toronto last year

wrat, Cactus Bob, Chew and 2 others like this.
  16. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Some of the best shows I've seen which gave me a greater appreciation of the music is when the artist performs out of their "normal element" :
    solo (not with their band) or acoustically (when usually electric)

This highlights and enables one to focus on the musician's specific skills.
    I've seen Robyn Hitchcock perform solo acoustic on several occasions years ago, and his incredible live performances gave me a greater appreciation of all his music, whenever I hear it.
    His musicianship, humor, spontaneity and presence was amazing.
    Ironically, and inversely, listening to his studio work now seems to lack some of those qualities!
    At least for me...

carville and Guy E like this.
  17. roberts67

roberts67 Forum Resident

Charles Gayle at the Clinton Street Theatre in Portland. I dragged 2 friends and we are still gushing about it 20 years later. It transcended time and space. Rashid Ali played drums. He was Coltrane's drummer later in his career. His was hitting his kit so hard he had to pull it back towards him between "songs". Kim Gordon mentions Charles in her new bio.

18. julotto

julotto Forum Resident

Been to a lot of shows since 1980. When it happened, I was very moved to see the Beach Boys in Berlin in 2012, but I guess the best concerts were The Who in a small venue in Berlin in 2006 and one of my earliest shows, AC/DC in November 1980 (Back in Black Tour).

Fullbug likes this.
  19. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

I haven't been to a lot of concerts, but the best that I've been to were

Roxy Music for Avalon album
    Laurie Anderson for Strange Angels

Also
    Levon Helm at some bar in the 90s.
    It was very good.
    Roy Orbison opening for the Beach Boys in the 80s. I went just to see Roy.
    He was very good too. So glad I got to see him. The Beach Boys were ok. It was when they had that song Kokomo. Not my cup of tea.
    From the crowd, you'd think I was at a Jimmy Buffet concert. Lots of Hawaiian shirts and beach balls...

Saw The Who for the It's Hard album.
    Pretty good, but not great.
    I'm very glad I got to see them too.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
    footlooseman likes this.
  20. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Black Sabbath Mob Rules tour May 12th, 1982 at the Dallas Convention Center with The Outlaws opening. I was just so excited to see my favorite band and my father drove through terrible, terrible weather to get us there. I'll always remember him and be grateful for that. Good show and some of it was recorded for the Live Evil album that came out a year or so later.

wrat, Cassius, BDC and 6 others like this.
  21. helter

helter Forum Resident

Springsteen at the meadowlands NJ
    July 1992
    Ironically not with the E Street band
    Bruce was on fire and still my favorite show of all time with that other band

dbacon, NUNZI and JoeF. like this.
  22. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Lucky you. I'd give a lot to go back in time and see that band live in those days. They are indeed a phenomenal band.

23. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

November 1977. Queen with Thin Lizzy as the opening act. Queen just released A Day at the Races and gave a fantastic performance, but the real treat was seeing Phil Lynott and the twin guitar team of Scott Gorham and Brian Robertson in action...plus they had a very underated drummer in Brian Downey. That band rocked.

Fullbug, RAZORMADE, tedg65 and 9 others like this.
  24. reeltime

reeltime Forum Resident

Simon & Garfunkel, Comiskey Park (the original one), 1983.

I was born in 1967 and grew up on their music. Plus, I got to sit on the center field grass of my favorite baseball team.

Mark E. Moon, Rachel, Moshe and 2 others like this.
  25. FredV

FredV Senior Member

I have three best concert moments.

1) All four Monkees at the Universal Amphitheater in 1989 the day before they received their star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

2) Ringo's 70th Birthday concert when Paul McCartney came onstage and surprised everyone, including Ringo, leading the band in a rendition of Birthday.

3) Brian Wilson performing Smile at Carnegie Hall, the absolute perfect setting for this concert.