80's UK & US Charts.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Aug 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

Thought I'd have a go at a tribute to the charts of this fine decade. The scans may not be so great for these, but you should be able to read them. Will try and put in some ads and reviews over time too.

To start us off, here are the US singles chart for WE 14/7/84.

[​IMG]

2. Bobby Morrow

3. Bobby Morrow

The above is the US albums chart for 14/7/84. I got the scans the wrong way round, but you get the gist!

@Thom @JohnnyQuest How about these for proper charts?!:)

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  4. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Lists like these reminds me that the 80's weren't as bad as people make it out to be. :p
    I see Genesis but where the hell is Phil Collins? :confused:

5. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Yeah, I had a 'phase' recently where I wanted to 'collect' every US top 40 hit from the 1980s (either on CD or mp3). A typical Top 40 nerd project. So now I have most of them (well, a lot). However, that top 40 does have a few I don't have (and don't even know.) Namely, the Van Stephenson (No. 34), Sergio Mendes (No. 35) and Tony Carey (No. 36) hits. Also, I don't think I know that Robin Gibb song. :confused: But overall, brilliant chart. :)

6. Bobby Morrow

He was inbetween albums. 'No Jacket Required' came out in spring 1985.

OneStepBeyond and JohnnyQuest like this.
  7. Bobby Morrow

Boys (Do Fall In Love) is great and should have been a bigger hit. I bet you'd know it if you heard it.

popscene, Jarleboy and Thom like this.
  8. Bobby Morrow

Looks like the first week in the chart for 'Purple Rain'. In at #11.

9. Bobby Morrow

[​IMG]

UK singles chart for 29/11/86.

10. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Just listened on YouTube. I don't think I know it at all. But I do like it. Unbelievably, except for the chorus it doesn't sound like the Bee Gees at all. I didn't think that was possible.
    I see it peaked at No. 37... not unexpected in the circumstances, but it deserved more. Was it a UK hit?

Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  11. Bobby Morrow

A flop here too. It was Robin's best solo single of the 80's, though 'Juliet' is pretty good as well.

Carlox and Jarleboy like this.
  12. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

I looked this up when we were discussing it in your Purple Rain v Thriller thread. I think it debuts at No. 11, then jumps to No. 3, and then No. 1. And then, it's No. 1 for months... Definitely the album of 1984 (which is quite a feat, when Born In The USA was also on the charts).

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  13. Bobby Morrow

And Private Dancer, Sports, Break Out, She's So Unusual, Colour By Numbers, Thriller...!

14. Alan1074

Alan1074 Forum Resident

Love seeing these charts. I had almost every record back then, thanks to my dad being a DJ. 1984 was a stellar year, possibly only topped by 1982.

ippudo, Bobby Morrow and Thom like this.
  15. Bobby Morrow

What about 1983?

[​IMG]

22/10/83. I had 4 out of the top 5 singles.

16. Alan1074

Alan1074 Forum Resident

83 was the year music really started shifting gears. Technology was developing rapidly and productions became much shinier and synthetic. There were a lot of good records that year but a fair few lightweight ones and of course, Karma Chameleon, Gold & True, which need never to be heard from again.

Just looking at that chart, it took me ages to get Lydia Murdock's Superstar on CD. And Will Powers! Had forgotten about Monyaka, which I can just about remember.

Bucks Fizz career started diving at this point with the melody-absent rumblings of London Town. An interesting song but definitely not a single, this was a last minute replacement for the equally weak Invisible, thanks to Ms Aston sleeping with their producer. Not a wise move when his wife co-managed the band!

Other dreadful records in that chart courtesy of Nick Heyward and Freeez. Weak, weak songs, but the lovely Donna was there with Unconditional Love, a decent UK hit but U.S. Flop.

I remember buying Shalamar's Over And Over without hearing it and realising they were, as Smash Hits would say, "heading down the dumper".

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  17. Bobby Morrow

I really liked Nick Heyward's 'North Of A Miracle' album.:D

Yes, Bucks Fizz had pretty much had it by this time. Was 'London Town' before or after 'Rules Of The Game'?

18. Alan1074

Alan1074 Forum Resident

It was just before. They were in their weird phase by now, with over-the-top theatrical power pop singles that each did progressively worse. Rules Of The Game was definitely the best of the bunch. Thankfully they rallied in '84 with an excellent cover of Talking In Your Sleep (then blew it again with snoozefest Golden Days, a rare Terry Britten misfire, as a single choice anyway).

Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  19. Bobby Morrow

'Golden Days' had made an appearance on Cliff's 'Silver' album the previous year. So I already knew that one. Bucks Fizz were very over-produced at this time, and their songs were getting weaker too.

Jarleboy likes this.
  20. duggan

duggan Senior Member

Members who enjoy these charts might enjoy the BBC Radio 2 Pick of the Pops show. Each week the show spends two hours running through charts from 2 different years.

It is of course available on catch up.

21. Alan1074

Alan1074 Forum Resident

Love Stealer would have been a better choice of cover if they were going to cover Cliff. They used to sing that one live before they did Golden Days.

Just noticed Big Apple in that chart. I wonder if I am one of the few who preferred Nick Beggs as the lead singer of Kajagoogoo.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  22. Bobby Morrow

I had the 'White Feathers' album. It's not bad!:D Nice catchy pop.

jsayers likes this.
  23. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Wow, I never knew Kajagoogoo had more than one hit. Now I look it up, and I see they had three Top 10 hits (and two more that peaked at No. 13 and No. 25). They in fact had a stellar 1983. Four top 15 hits.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  24. Alan1074

Alan1074 Forum Resident

The Lions Mouth and Turn Your Back On Me are both excellent singles.

Surly likes this.
  25. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

This is why I love Google. You can read just about every issue of Billboard magazine going back 50 years. There isn't a repository of charts available online, so you have to go through the issues to see the charts, but man do they bring back memories. I could easily kill a day reading these. Collecting songs that were below the top 40 that were never really hits but were great songs, especially in the 70's and 80's, is a passion of mine. I love me some chart p0rn. Bobby, maybe you could become shTV's Joel Whitburn!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.