Unfunny Comedies?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by driverdrummer, Jul 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

No. Please don't make me. :)

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yup. Based on the trailers, I thought it'd be fun, but instead, it was just cruel, hateful and stupid.

I worked at a restaurant back then, and the night after I saw it, I asked the bartender if he'd seen it. He said he had and called it a lot of fun. I still so mad about the movie that I tried to whack him in the head! :laugh:

poe_man and Larry Mc like this.
  3. Oatsdad

Actually, I think all of those are pretty erratic in terms of filmmaking. They're all basically a string of gags held together by loose narratives - I don't think they're well put-together at all.

Especially "Caddyshack" and "Blues Brothers". The latter is little more than a collection of car chases and musical numbers, while the former is a narrative disaster - it's poorly constructed as a film.

I like two of those movies but I wouldn't hold up any of them as strong examples of well-crafted films. They're comedies that have their moments but lack coherence and consistency...

4. Oatsdad

I think you overstate the presence of that style of humor...

geo50000 likes this.
  5. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

Okay, - fair enough....so what current comedies do NOT contain these comedic elements?

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Very, very bad film. You can't believe somebody of Mel Brooks' caliber could write and direct this and say, "yeah, this is great! This is funny! This will do well!" Kill me.

I worked on Blades of Glory for months, and Will was funny as hell in dailies. The movie isn't great, but it does have a few laughs. Farrell is one of the few people I've seen who will do a few takes as written, then start to ad-lib and make the material 600% funnier than what was in the script. A truly funny, interesting man. Kind of quiet and withdrawn on set except when he's acting, but (my observation) a solid guy and very smart & quick-witted.

Mechanical Man, Fullbug, DLD and 3 others like this.
  7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Well, there is a plot in Blues Brothers, just not a very good or believable one. But I think it's actually a pretty enjoyable film if you can buy into the setup.

There's 1000 musicals in the history of Hollywood that have silly or unbelievable plots, but the 20 musical numbers usually help you forget the plot and just sit back and be entertained. Some of the musical numbers in Blues Brothers are absolutely show-stopping; Aretha Franklin's updated version of "Think" is fantastic, as is Ray Charles' "Shake Your Tailfeather." Great, great moments.

8. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

When I see the words unfunny and comedy in the same sentence my mind instantly returns the name Adam Sandler.

9. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Overanalyze much?

fr in sc likes this.
  10. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Tammy, Wild Hogs, Epic Movie and Bride Wars would have to be the worst comedies I've ever seen.

I stopped letting that friend pick movies to hire.

11. You mean the movie that was stolen by Steve Buscemi in the first 15 minutes?

goodiesguy and farmingdad like this.
  12. rjp

rjp Senior Member

any "comedy" with:

adam sandler
    will ferrell
    ben stiller
    jim carrey
    drew barrymore
    melissa mccarthy

and

jerry lewis
    or
    steve martin

is sure to be unfunny.

13. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Rat Race is one that I've always gotten some enjoyment out of. Sure, it's basically a knockoff of It's a Mad Mad Mad World, but there are some pretty funny performances. Not an F-bomb in sight.

I still get a laugh out of the bus load of Lucille Ball impersonators.

I don't think it was well-received, but I've also never claimed to be a movie critic. I like what I like.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
    ducksdeluxe, Jarleboy and Benno123 like this.
  14. Oatsdad

Strangely enough, when you spend 16 years writing reviews of movies, you tend to analyze them.

I guess I could just write "it was funny!" or "I didn't like it!" and leave it at that...

Saint Johnny likes this.
  15. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

16. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I meant when the show was originally produced and aired. For over 30 years. In Great Britain. Somebody there must have liked him.

17. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

You may barely remember "It's Complicated", a "rom-com" about White People's Problems with Meryl Streep and Alec Baldwin. I actually found myself getting pissed off while watching it. It looked like a TV commercial for Glade air fresheners and seemed to be written by some type of software program programmed with dozens of cliches.
    On the other hand, "Enough Said" with Julia Louis-Dreyfus and James Gandolfini succeeded in almost every thing "It's Complicated" screwed up.

vegafleet and Fullbug like this.
  18. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

"Big Daddy" and "Anger Management" were good, though. They were two of the rare times he was actually funny.

19. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I'd rather put on "Man on the Flying Trapeze" or "Where's Poppa?" or "The Big Lebowski" than take a chance that I might enjoy an Adam Sandler movie.

Mark E. Moon likes this.
  20. Django

Django Forum Resident

It's awful. There are only 2 things I like about 2 broke girls, and both of them belong to Cat Dennings.

on the other hand south park still makes me LOL.

21. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

The theatrical release was funny, but the extended version later released on home video was flabby and unfunny. It is one of the best examples of how an editor can improve a movie.

22. Django

Django Forum Resident

I liked bits of Zoolander, but most american comedies of that last 15 years have been crap.

23. cabowabodude5150

cabowabodude5150 Forum Resident

don't like caddyshack???? isn't that un-American???

chad

Saint Johnny and bldg blok like this.
  24. Oatsdad

I think those are two of the crummier Sandler movies! :shrug:

"Billy Madison", "Wedding Singer", "50 First Dates", "Zohan" - those are all pretty good Sandler...

25. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Should be!

You're forgetting "Happy Gilmore".

Jarleboy and Grant like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.