Wood Glue Method - Rinse After?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Neilson77, Jan 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Been cleaning my LPs with Titebond II, do people usually run them through a RCM such as a Knosti Disco Antistat with water/detergent to remove any wood glue remnants? I gave them a clean with the Knosti first and while they were still wet applied the wood glue in the hope this would water it down and penetrate the grooves deeper. I would prefer not having to clean them again as I mostly use tap water and it is true you can hear surface noise after due to the minerals/residue from the dried tap water.

2. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

A spray bottle of distilled water over the sink is how I typically rinse very dirty discs.

3. Pappas3278

Pappas3278 Forum Peasant

I've glued over five hundred of my records (almost the whole lot) without ever rinsing any of them after a glue-peel. Upon listening afterwards, I have never heard anything that made me think there was any residue that needed rinsing. Just my 2cents.

4. DTS-MA 7.1

DTS-MA 7.1 Forum Resident

I use titebond II, in my first attempts i pealed to soon which gave to many shards , now i let them dry longer and spin clean them after i hear less pop's and crackle's.

Michael Rose and seed_drill like this.
  5. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I always run in through the VPI afterward. To be honest, I've never had a completely clean peel, and have to work at getting the little Klingons off the grooves.

McGuy and jon9091 like this.
  6. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

I've never heard of anyone putting wood glue on a wet record. One of the reasons wood glue works so well gluing wood is that it has minimal surface tension and will get absorbed into the wood and create a tight bond. That is why it works so well on vinyl. It naturally fills the groove and bonds to just about anything but the vinyl. The water probably just gets in the way and delays the drying time. Just my .02.

I always run a quick wet clean after a peel, but I have never had any issue with any peel leaving any residue on a record. They always come off in one clean piece in a matter of seconds when the glue is applied evenly and thoroughly dried and translucent before it is removed.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
    mahanusafa02 likes this.
  7. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I find Titebond II the best glue, cheaper PVA peels off more easily. Titebond seems to have more stick. Apart from forking out for a very expensive RCM like a VPI or Okki Nokki i find wood glue the best cleaning method. I find it laughable that people believe it can ruin the Vinyl, all it does is improve playback and remove noise!

AcidPunk15 and Pappas3278 like this.
  8. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

Same for me

9. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

I spin clean mine after. I once had tiny fragments of glue leftover so I don't take any chances.

10. I am one of those guys that had some real trepidation putting glue on a record. It just seemed "wrong", but so many report good success that I wanted to try it myself. I finally tried it this weekend, first on Electric Light Orchestra's Ole ELO. I have three copies and have ran them through my ultrasonic cleaning machine that does a very good job on most records. One was "very stubborn" and still pretty noisy, although somewhat better after ultrasonic cleaning. It still had a good bit of noise on it. I thought this would be a great candidate to test the glue method.

As anyone who has already tried it knows---the wood glue method works great for deep groove dirt on problematic records! I am now a believer!!! The Ole ELO now now plays with very few pops and clicks. A noisy Johnny Guitar Watson album was next---great results again!

I was also considering another quick ultrasonic bath to remove any possible remaining glue fragments. I don't want to chance getting any glue residue on my stylus. Sounds like many of you also do a quick clean after the glue treatment for this very reason. I will do likewise.

I am a new convert and big fan of the wood glue cleaning method now.

11. MaltairX

MaltairX Well-Known Member

I've tried the glue method a few times and may try it again, but have found drenching a problem record with homemade cleaner and rubbing it down with a microfiber cloth to be effective.

12. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

Usually for me the glue peels off cleanly with no residue/shards. In cases where it doesn't, I just re-glue.

13. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

What the heck?!? Just don't do it like this guy! Check this out and DON'T do it like this:

:)

14. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident

I have done it both ways where I clean after and sometimes where I don't. If you leave the glue long enough to fully dry and you spread it well enough around the record, you shouldn't 'have' to do a wet clean. However, I've now been running the records through my DIY vacuum setup after gluing. I don't think it really makes a difference, but I'd rather not have any pieces of glue remaining on the record that I may have overlooked.

15. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I'm not a vinyl guy so my question is pure curiosity. Is using glue really a viable cleaning option? Is this a well used and proven method or something new that has popped up recently?

16. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident

People have been using glue for awhile. I cannot say how long or who ever thought that putting glue on a record was a good idea. However, using Titebond II is an excellent method of cleaning your records if done right, i.e. not getting glue on the label, using enough so that it peels off as one entire sheet, etc. The only downside of it is the time it takes to apply and waiting for it to dry. Otherwise, it does an absolutely incredible job of cleaning records.

moogt3 likes this.
  17. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Wow....what an idiot!

And yes, I would rinse afterwards. With 'soft' water i.e. filtered, distilled, etc.

18. moogt3

moogt3 Member

is the best method I've tried after a lot of frustration with the traditional liquids or soap and rinse.

Just don't be shy in the quantity.

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  19. Jane Scranton

Jane Scranton Forum Resident

I have done my share of over-nite glue/dry/peels.They worked very wonderful. I have not used the glue on my rare 1st press UK -2-1 Abbey Road..but i feel it needs it now because after months of shelving the clean-sounding LP it sure had some annyoing surface noises, damn.

20. I understand your trepidation with a rare and valuable album, however after doing a boat-load of albums with Titebond II with no ill effects to date, I personally am not afraid to use it on my most expensive albums that need a little help. (Toad the Wet Sprocket---Fear $140, Chris Whitley---Dirt Floor $150, Dada----Puzzle $$$Have never seen another copy available) and many others. I have a home made ultrasonic cleaning machine and give my albums a "final polish/rinse" with distilled water in the US machine after glue treatment. Then vac-dry with a home made vacuum dryer. I always have to give them a spin afterwards to admire/evaluate the amount of snap/crackle and pop that has been removed before placing in a brand new MA recordings inner sleeve. Overkill??? maybe so in some cases, but I have a lot of albums that play with very little to no surface noise. To me that is worth the extra time and trouble, especially for my favorite albums.

21. marcob1963

marcob1963 Forum Resident

The wood glue method is effective, but will usually leave a static charge. So it is imperative to wet the record after removing the wood glue. I'm not anal about labels and find they are not affected by water unless they have air bubbles. So I find complete immersion in distilled water neutralises static for a long time.

harby likes this.
  22. harby

harby Forum Resident

VERY static charge, immediately sucking any airborne dust back onto the disc. The glue is sticky enough to peel electrons off vinyl molecules, so I think it should be the last cleaning step. I wipe down the inside of the turntable pretty regularly to clean it, peel the disc on the turntable platter (getting it started by rubbing a guitar pick against the edge until a bubble pops up to start peeling), and close the lid for a while until the charge dissipates before playing.

I've found that wet clean, then glue, gets more crackles out than either method alone, even repeated. I rinse first and let dry, and then really rub the glue into disk with a spatula spinning in both directions and then even out the coat to dry.

23. Jane Scranton

Jane Scranton Forum Resident

Thanks for that suggestion.. I had always wondered about that static !

24. bobauch

bobauch Member

May I suggest using a Milty anti- static gun afterward. Kills the static but doesn't 're- introduce particles into the grooves.
    I quit wet cleaning after getting the gun.

Sailfree likes this.
  25. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I'm trying the wood glue thing finally. I picked up a pink label AT/GP ABB Fillmore East yesterday for $2. It looked pretty good where I could see the wax problem is it has several spots with severe mold/crud. I cleaned it last night my normal way and then did the Scrubbing Bubbles soak. The LP is looking pretty nice but has constant surface noise throughout. Not overbearing but it's there. So it's a good candidate for the wood glue thing. I'll report back shortly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.