Joy Division. 2015 RHINO Anniversary vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimhb, May 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rtalwani

rtalwani Forum Resident

Which one? I have Substance in the mail so I'm wondering about that one.

2. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

Europe release of the one in this thread I guess? Sure the mastering is the same everywhere?

3. rtalwani

rtalwani Forum Resident

I think they are releasing UP, Closer, Still and Substance. I believe the only new mastering is Substance. From what you say, it sounds like the mastering of Substance is a bit compressed. Hopefully it sounds better than the earlier cd masterings.

4. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

The mastering for Substance is taken from the Plus-Minus Campaign from 2010, so if you liked +- you should like this new vinyl release

5. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

Never heard that one.

6. c-eling

7. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

I'm gonna take the plunge... Substance is a fantastic collection and I've never seen the original truncated vinyl in a shop. Reviews seem positive.

I have an original UK 12" of Love Will Tear Us Apart (1983 repress I think?) so I might compare those tracks to the new press and post thoughts.

JeffMo and c-eling like this.
  8. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

For crying out loud / whose idea was that +- release?

Ian, Gretton, and Wilson must be rolling over in their graves...

9. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

On the Total and Electronic CDs as well - I'd like him to fix the botched Rhino remasters of NO.

10. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Well done, and when you take into account the quality of those songs, great value!

11. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

The original Joy Division Still UK vinyl was not a very good pressing. At least those I've heard.
    The Rhino is quiet and noise free.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  12. c-eling

I think Morris actually had a hand in the singles box for this

13. SteveCooks

SteveCooks Senior Member

Received mine yesterday. I like the sound of it but there was a big scratch at the beginning of side 1 which doesn't affect the sound of it. Should I worry about sending it back to Amazon ? Transmission at the bottom end of side 1 sounds not that good but maybe t is due to my system, not the best with vinyl...

Having given the cd a long time ago, what a fool I know, it was really nice to hear it again and a pleasure to have the full track list. Sound is warm and I have heard details I didn't remember having heard on the Heart & Soul Boxset.

I would have prefered a gatefold but it is a very nice object and I'm very pleased with my new vinyl to put with my Porky Prime Cut regular Lps ;-)

14. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

Don't worry about sending it back to Amazon. Send them an email (with a pic if you can). They will send you a replacement.

15. BawBag

BawBag Forum Resident

Ah, my (320kKbps) download of Substance has appeared. Presumably release day was just a bit too soon to download it. And I should be grateful that, unlike US buyers, I'm even getting a download.

JeffMo likes this.
  16. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Received Substance 2lp reissue today - Euro pressing.

It is not a gatefold like the advertising I read.:(

I have the original UK pressing so played She's Lost Control, Incubation and Dead Souls then compared to the new Euro 2lp.

The original is cut several dB louder and sounds aggressive and in your face. Really exciting to listen to.

The new Euro is cut lower in volume and has a slightly fuller sound with less emphasis on leading edge. Leading edge is still there, just not to the angst portrayed on the original pressing. 180gm height vs 110gm of the original may play a small part.
    Still sounds good thou. Pressing is excellent.

The 2nd disc also seems just a little reserved, not quite as loud and raw that it should be.

I will keep my original UK pressing as I prefer the more in your face sound. Probably just play the 2nd LP of the new Euro

Overall its a good release and remastering not digital that I can hear which is a great thing.
    bargin for 11 pounds.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
    inaptitude likes this.
  17. Black Stripes

Black Stripes Forum Resident

I purchased both EU-Editions of Substance and Still so far. Both come with the Digital Download Code. No poly-lined innersleeves with any of them.
    I agree with the previous postings, I like the pressings. My only little complain is about a couple of pops at the beginning of Transmission on Side A of Substance. But not too dramatic.
    As I'm convinced about the quality of these editions I decided to order UP + Closer as well since I don't have those yet.
    I'm very positively surprised about the prices. I paid 19,99 € for Substance, 20,99 € for Still. UP + Closer are both 17,99 €. I would have expected much higher prices for these well-done editions with decent mastering/cut at Abbey Road and pressing at Optimal.

scotth likes this.
  18. willboy

willboy Forum Resident

Strange how Amazon UK's pre-order price for Substance varied so much. It seems to have settled at 21 pounds now which is the pre-order price I paid for mine. Mind that's after Amazon cancelled my order and wanted me to pay 28 pounds - no chance of that the cheeky sods! :eek::) Anyway, I'm quite happy paying that for a good quality double album, some of the prices mentioned here are a real bargain. :righton: Optimal seem to have a good reputation for turning out quality pressings.

19. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Forum Resident

Okay, so I received my complete bundle today from Popmarket. All of the albums came in polylined sleeves in addition to the printed ones, which I am very happy about.

The jacket for Unknown Pleasures is gorgeous. It looks and feels way better than my beat up Town House UK pressing.

Still is a gatefold with the weird pockets inside, but Substance is not. Which is weird, since both were gatefolds in the press shot and in the Rhino description. I haven't heard of anyone receiving a gatefold Substance yet.

I will report back on sound quality later today -- but I am extremely impressed with the design of these.

patient_ot and c-eling like this.
  20. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Any chance you could post the matrix info for these?

Thanks.

21. schelti

schelti Forum Resident

I only bought the Substance 2lp, I have the other ones multiple times.

I think it sounds great, and I'm really happy these albums are still in print.

Maybe all analogue 2lp 45 rpm pressings next time?

22. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Forum Resident

Sure.

Unknown Pleasures -- Side 1: 3E77559-OA A2 0825646A83906 F.A.
    Side 2: 0825646783906 3E77559-07 3-

Closer -- Side 1: 08256783913 3E77814-07
    Side 2: 08256783913 3E77814-07 3-

Still -- Disc 1 -- Side 1: 0825646783920-07 3F80377-07 A- F.A. Abbey Road
    Side 2: 0825646783920-07 3F80377-07 3-
    Disc 2 -- Side 1: 0825646783920-02 3F80377-02 C-
    Side 2: 0825646783920-02 3F80377-02 D-

Substance -- Disc 1 -- Side 1: 3E 72478-0A AA FACT 250 R F.A. Abbey Road
    Side 2: 3E 72478-0A BA FACT 250 R Frank - Abbey Road
    Disc 2 -- Side 1: 3F79083-01 C1
    Side 2: 3F79083-01 D1 F.A. Abbey Road

The 3Es found throughout all of them might be BEs.

marcfeld69 and patient_ot like this.
  23. Allan

Allan Forum Resident

I picked up the new Substance at the House of Guitars today and I'm enjoying it very much. Not a gatefold, but the LPs came in poly-lined sleeves and printed inner sleeves with the Energie-Piek ijs images. The vinyl is beautiful & VERY quiet. It seems like an Optimal pressing & has the Frank/Abbey Road indications in the deadwax.

I'm lucky that the LPs aren't warped- it was stacked horizontally underneath a large pile of the new Led Zeppelin LPs.:):):)

patient_ot likes this.
  24. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I just checked my copy of the 2007 Rhino Unknown Pleasures. The matrix is totally different and the LP was pressed at Rainbo. These new editions look to be pressed from different Mother/Father plates and pressed somewhere else. Any idea where they might have been pressed? GZ? RTI?

marcfeld69 and scotth like this.
  25. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I wasn't going to buy Substance, but there it was in the indie shop I visited today on a day trip. Couldn't resist that large Saville sleeve!!

What a hobby....:D

Marc Perman and Bananas&blow like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.